[HOW-TO] Make the CRT Effect smooth

Search This thread

OrrPenn18

Feb 18, 2011
Recovery Mode
CRT off effect was introduced in the Android 2.3 branch and is one of the most loved feature of Android.

The effect is very smooth in 4.1.2 (Jellybean). The 4.2.x update screws the effect making it very fast to be enjoyable and takes a second or near about to respond.

Fortunately, after searching previous Nexus devices threads and testing various .prop additions, the one below works wonders.
Makes it smooth as the 4.1.x effect.

Before instructions, please make a backup of your current ROM and the build.prop file

Instructions :

Root required to do this.

1. Download any Root explorer from the Play Store, preferably https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.explorer

2. Open it, grant SU access and navigate to /system.

3. Navigate to build.prop and long press and click 'Open in Text Editor'.

4. Add this line "debug.sf.electron_frames=1".

Of course without the " " marks :p

5. Save and Exit.

6. Reboot your device and Voila.

Enjoy your smooth CRT off effect.

Thank you.

I'm on CM10.1 by the way.

Screenshot_2013-03-22-13-26-371_zps611d92dd.png

Credits :
xaueious

Last edited:

spicediablo

Oct 26, 2011
Malaysia
OnePlus 11
Does editing the build.prop disqualify me from ota updates?

CRT off effect was introduced in the Android 2.3 branch and is one of the most loved feature of Android.

The effect is very smooth in 4.1.2 (Jellybean). The 4.2.x update screws the effect making it very fast to be enjoyable and takes a second or near about to respond.

Fortunately, after searching previous Nexus devices threads and testing various .prop additions, the one below works wonders.

Before instructions, please make a backup of your current ROM and the build.prop file

Instructions :

1. Download any Root explorer from the Play Store, preferably https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speedsoftware.explorer

5. Save and Exit.

Thank you.

Credits :
xaueious

Sent from Mako

Reactions: creams and kaoskilo

jcnbama

Jun 4, 2012
Huntsville
What I would actually like it's a way to turn off CRT. Guess I'm one of the oddballs. I can't find a setting in PA v3.10 to turn it off. Anyone got a tip on this. :confused:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

speedygonzo

Jan 20, 2012
Corpus Christi
What I would actually like it's a way to turn off CRT. Guess I'm one of the oddballs. I can't find a setting in PA v3.10 to turn it off. Anyone got a tip on this. :confused:

You need to change your Animation Transition to "Off". Its in the developer settings.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

OrrPenn18

Feb 18, 2011
Recovery Mode
Yep, me to. I can't stand CRT off. It is so damned tacky IMO. I got excited about this fix for not. Oh well.

Lol no, this fix is about making it smooth and reproducing actual CRT off effect like in previous Android builds.
Unfortunately, setting animations to off worked in 4.1.x builds. It no longer works in 4.2.x builds.
Still, i'll look into policy.jar file to completely shut it off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: kwibis and jcnbama

jcnbama

Jun 4, 2012
Huntsville
Lol no, this fix is about making it smooth and reproducing actual CRT off effect like in previous Android builds.
Unfortunately, setting animations to off worked in 4.1.x builds. It no longer works in 4.2.x builds.

That would be awesome! It's not a huge deal. PA is an awesome stable rom. But it would be nice though..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Instructions :

5. Save and Exit.

Thank you.

Credits :
    xaueious
    Does editing the build.prop disqualify me from ota updates?

Instructions :

5. Save and Exit.

Thank you.

Credits :
    xaueious

Sent from Mako
    Tried disabling all those various speeds under developer options. Didn't work.

Yep, me to. I can't stand CRT off. It is so damned tacky IMO. I got excited about this fix for not. Oh well.

Any way to get rid of cry-effect with a simple tweak like this one? I hate the damn thing, and don't want to flash another rom only to get rid of this feature.

Could try xposed framework + gravitybox module. Install it like a normal apk and follow instructions.

Link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574401

Enjoy!