Samsung charger vs Nexus 5X, need a little help/advice!

Search This thread

mnd86

Apr 25, 2011
Hello guys. I use a standard 5V 2.0A charger at work with the original Samsung micro USB cable, I also have a Xiaomi type-C converter. Most of the times my Nexus 5X says charging rapidly! So my question is, is it safe to use? Can it harm my device? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20170327_083100.jpg
    IMG_20170327_083100.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 285

g0d0fmischief

Aug 15, 2010
It won't hurt it, in fact it'll charge slower. So should create less heat and be better for it. Use ampere to check actual rates. The Nexus 5x c to c charger is rated higher than that. Slower is rarely ever bad, faster can be the issue

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I use a Samsung charger with a Type A to type C cable for overnight charging as I don't need it to charge rapidly while I'm sleeping. My cable is certified to comply with the standards though. Don't know if that Xiaomi type-C converter is or needs to be.

neth15

As said by @ideaman924, if it says Charging Rapidly, there's problem. Phone thinks it's connected to full-fledged USB Type-C cable which can handle more current than your microUSB cable with converter on the end (3A vs 2A).
AFAIK, it means there's bad/missing resistor in converter and thus it is NOT safe to use. And definitely not safe to charge with all night.
Example: For overnight charging I use Samsung's 5V 1A charger with Anker' a USB A to USB Type-C cable and phone says only Charging. However, when connected to stock Type-C to Type-C charger, it says "Charging Rapidly". That's how it should work.

So, head over to Amazon and buy ONLY Benson Leung certified cable. If you don't know him, Google his name -- he tests USB Type-C cables and made spreadsheet.

OhioYJ

Feb 25, 2011
Where did you get that Samsung charger from? I had that same issue but it was with a 2.0a Samsung charger that came from Amazon that ended up being a fake, as with almost all the "genuine OEM" chargers sold on eBay/amazon. On a regular tablet it would output just under 2a. (I measured it once something like 1.88 or something IIRC) However, once connected to a co-workers 5X though it said charging rapidly and got very hot very quickly. It got binned after that. I don't use cheap chargers anymore.

Dont know if yours is a fake or not, but if you didn't get it with a new phone, I'd be suspect of it.