FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

4GB RAM upgraded of my Nexus 5X

101 posts
Thanks Meter: 115

By Cathair2906, Senior Member on 13th April 2017, 04:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
My Nexus 5x was bought last year from Hong Kong and got a bootloop issue just after the warranty So far, i know google has known this issue and there is a recall in US, Korean LG has offered a unlimited warranty to this bootloop issue. However, LG customer center from Hong Kong has rejected any maintenance of the cpu if outside its warranty

Thereafter, i decided to send my 5x to China for CPU fixing, as the RAM is packed with the CPU together, the guy suggested me upgrading it to 3 or 4 GB RAM. That's how the 4GB RAM 5X comes out.

I've tested the OTA works fine from 6.0.1 to 7.1.1, all functions works fine too.

How does it work? #106

Quote:

Since i posted this post, i learnt something about the CPU from 5x, and how can it be upgraded, let me explain to you guys first.

The packaging technique of 5x is using PoP, or package on package, which the processor package has pads on the top for the RAM chip and BGA on the bottom to attach to the PCB, its saves board space at the expense of assembly cost. This simply means the RAM sits on top of the SoC.
http://www.androidauthority.com/how-...hip-soc-93587/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_on_package

As fixing this bootloop issue, you have to remove the whole SoC+RAM block, so why not upgrade the RAM chip together?

Thanks RO.maniac has provided the information of the repair shop #241, if you are going to contact him, please do communicate in CHINESE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO.maniac

https://lihkg.com/thread/159418/page/5
Just talked to the dude on WeChat, he confirmed RMB400 for CPU reflow and 4GB RAM upgrade.

I also made sense of his address in somewhat of an international format:
Mr. Huang Jinhui
Yuanwang Digital Mall, 1st floor 1065
HuaQiang North Road
Shenzhen, Futian District, HuaQiang North
518000 Guangdong
People's Republic of China

WeChat ID: 784439978
Phone number: 15919836083

I will ship my other N5X first thing on Monday with the Romanian National Post Service. I will keep you updated, as soon as is gets to China. In like 2 weeks.

These are the photos of original 2GB RAM and Upgraded 4GB RAM Chips #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathair2906

2GB RAM Original 5X

2GB RAM

4GB RAM Upgraded 5X
4GB RAM

The Following 53 Users Say Thank You to Cathair2906 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cathair2906 Ad-Free

13th April 2017, 05:16 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Quote:

My Nexus 5x was bought last year from Hong Kong and got a bootloop issue just after the warranty So far, i know google has known this issue and there is a recall in US, Korean LG has offered a unlimited warranty to this bootloop issue. However, LG customer center from Hong Kong has rejected any maintenance of the cpu if outside its warranty

Thereafter, i decided to send my 5x to China for CPU fixing, as the RAM is packed with the CPU together, the guy suggested me upgrading it to 3 or 4 GB RAM. That's how the 4GB RAM 5X comes out.

I've tested the OTA works fine from 6.0.1 to 7.1.1, all functions works fine too.

wow cool, no bugs/problem encounter so far?
how i wish that i could upgrade the ram of my 5X too
The Following User Says Thank You to paul222008 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift paul222008 Ad-Free
13th April 2017, 05:28 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Where you sended phone? Official center in China? Or unofficial? It's amazing! I want this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xmata For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Xmata Ad-Free
13th April 2017, 05:57 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmata

Where you sended phone? Official center in China? Or unofficial? It's amazing! I want this.

it is unoffical, btw anyone know how to re-enable the SECURE BOOT, as my 5X has disabled it
13th April 2017, 05:58 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul222008

no bugs at all, i felt opening the camera is must faster than before
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cathair2906 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cathair2906 Ad-Free
13th April 2017, 06:00 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

hi

Sent from my 1201 using XDA Free mobile app
13th April 2017, 06:16 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Quote:

no bugs at all, i felt opening the camera is must faster than before

haha nice how much is all the cost sir? can you send a screenshot of cpu-z ?
13th April 2017, 06:39 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

haha nice how much is all the cost sir? can you send a screenshot of cpu-z ?

this?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cathair2906 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cathair2906 Ad-Free
13th April 2017, 06:42 AM |#9  
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 227

More
wow! this is amazing. how much did it cost to you?
13th April 2017, 06:46 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhardy

wow! this is amazing. how much did it cost to you?

i paid CNY 400, roughly USD $60 to fix it
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cathair2906 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Cathair2906 Ad-Free
13th April 2017, 09:11 AM |#11  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Quote:

i paid CNY 400, roughly USD $60 to fix it

Can you provide us an email address, or any other way to contact the guy who "upgraded" your 5X? I would be interested (me and many others) in ordering the necessary part/s, and to do the transplant/implant operation at a local service...

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)