4GB RAM upgraded of my Nexus 5X

Search This thread

cris_webb

Dec 6, 2014
Mexico City.
If I have a Nexus 5x Model H790 can I change my motherboard for one target as H791?
I don't know exactly what's the differences between both models
Any help would be appreciated.

abdess47

Sep 13, 2008
Hi evevryone,
Firstable, I'm apolozige about my poor english but I will try to explain my self.
I wanna to give my experience after upgrade the nexus 5X to 4gb ram.

I use the new configuration since 6 month.
The rom stock is set up on my phone. No modification but is rooted.

I never had somes problem with the phone, the system is very smooth and confortable to use since the new ram is set.
But the phone use more ram, the average is about 2,1 gb for 3 hours use.
The battery drain is more fast, but i buy a OEM battery.
With a normal use, the battery can be durate 1 day, but not more.

I think this last nexus generation is the best phone we can see on market.
No bull****, just android poweruse with a good price.

Bye !

Last edited:
Reactions: AlienTeck

whiteboi-hakz

Jul 30, 2012
invercargill
So here's my experience

Upgraded to 4gm ram
Replaced the battery with a new OEM 1 before even booting the new setup
Once done I booted it everything went smooth like butter
Phone run great as a daily for the last 1 year 4 months and is still currently running as a daily battery needs replaced again tho due to being run on red for so long without a full charge lol but is still running! Just not as my! Daily I upgraded to the 512gb note 9 8gb ram and wow...just wow...my advice is drop this pipe dream get a beast note 9 you wont regret it as for my 4gb Nekky my partner uses it as her daily because before that she had a $40 Huawei lmao

paradoxiumwind

Jul 23, 2012
Google Nexus 5
Google Pixel 3a
So here's my experience

Upgraded to 4gm ram
Replaced the battery with a new OEM 1 before even booting the new setup
Once done I booted it everything went smooth like butter
Phone run great as a daily for the last 1 year 4 months and is still currently running as a daily battery needs replaced again tho due to being run on red for so long without a full charge lol but is still running! Just not as my! Daily I upgraded to the 512gb note 9 8gb ram and wow...just wow...my advice is drop this pipe dream get a beast note 9 you wont regret it as for my 4gb Nekky my partner uses it as her daily because before that she had a $40 Huawei lmao

£700? anything in the same price as a 5x lmao

Reactions: AlienTeck

Watantaka

Nov 9, 2014
I want to do it !!

Hi, I'm late, ja. is it just to remove the chip and put another one? where is that chip obtained, do I have the skills to change processors

altintorr

Jan 18, 2017
Just for info

My 4gb motherboard has just died last week after 18 months of service.
I replaced the original motherboard instead.
So I can easily compare the phone with 2gb or 4gb ram : the 2gb ram is just unusable. You can't keep in memory more than 2 basic app (you can't Firefox and Facebook... You can't pause a game just for answer a WhatsApp message for example).

I was very happy to buy this tweaked motherboard but am a little sad to return to old config

CLPose

Jan 7, 2015
Buenos Aires
Just for info

So I can easily compare the phone with 2gb or 4gb ram : the 2gb ram is just unusable. You can't keep in memory more than 2 basic app (you can't Firefox and Facebook... You can't pause a game just for answer a WhatsApp message for example).

I was very happy to buy this tweaked motherboard but am a little sad to return to old config
Does it bootloop just like the LG one? So sorry for you!

anonxlg

Sep 3, 2011
Just for info

i think it's also android's memory management is just bad as well.
I've been monitoring the ram usage and this is what i've found (note that I dont have ton of crapware installed; ie fb, chrome, most google apps):
- cold rebooted phone might boot to a ~900mb of ram used
- when the phone is 'stable' OS ram idles at 1-1.1gb used
- I play 2 'big' 3d games, pokemon go and another one. Each of these games might run 400-600mb.
sounds all good, nexus 5x has 1.8gb of usable ram, OS uses 1.1gb, games use 500ish mb, I should be coasting with 150-200mb of free ram to spare, therefore, i should be able to at least keep ONE of these game in memory, except it doesn't.
When i app switch, i can confirm that while the game is running, i actually can be running even with 200-300mb free, however the moment AFTER i app switch and do anything (like opening the app drawer) the game is killed. Not to mention when i switch off the game, my entire home screen refreshes.
It's honestly frustrating because all i can see is there's available ram, but android's memory management kicks in and does its optimizations and what not and kills every process.

I've i've tried flashing the memory tweaks from magisk and tried disable zram to see if anything helps, but it doesn't.

Reactions: altintorr

defroster

Sep 11, 2003
Ordered one of these boards.
Can I just backup the current board via twrp and restore to the new board?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My Nexus 5x was bought last year from Hong Kong and got a bootloop issue just after the warranty :crying: So far, i know google has known this issue and there is a recall in US, Korean LG has offered a unlimited warranty to this bootloop issue. However, LG customer center from Hong Kong has rejected any maintenance of the cpu if outside its warranty :rolleyes:

Thereafter, i decided to send my 5x to China for CPU fixing, as the RAM is packed with the CPU together, the guy suggested me upgrading it to 3 or 4 GB RAM. That's how the 4GB RAM 5X comes out. :D

I've tested the OTA works fine from 6.0.1 to 7.1.1, all functions works fine too. :highfive:

Pqu2LEh.png

U0e6647.png

How does it work? #106

Since i posted this post, i learnt something about the CPU from 5x, and how can it be upgraded, let me explain to you guys first. :highfive:

The packaging technique of 5x is using PoP, or package on package, which the processor package has pads on the top for the RAM chip and BGA on the bottom to attach to the PCB, its saves board space at the expense of assembly cost. This simply means the RAM sits on top of the SoC.
    http://www.androidauthority.com/how-it-works-systems-on-a-chip-soc-93587/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_on_package

640px-ASIC_%2B_Memory_PoP_Schematic.JPG

As fixing this bootloop issue, you have to remove the whole SoC+RAM block, so why not upgrade the RAM chip together? :cool:

Thanks RO.maniac has provided the information of the repair shop #241, if you are going to contact him, please do communicate in CHINESE!!!

https://lihkg.com/thread/159418/page/5
    Just talked to the dude on WeChat, he confirmed RMB400 for CPU reflow and 4GB RAM upgrade.

I also made sense of his address in somewhat of an international format:
    Mr. Huang Jinhui
    Yuanwang Digital Mall, 1st floor 1065
    HuaQiang North Road
    Shenzhen, Futian District, HuaQiang North
    518000 Guangdong
    People's Republic of China

WeChat ID: 784439978
    Phone number: 15919836083

I will ship my other N5X first thing on Monday with the Romanian National Post Service. I will keep you updated, as soon as is gets to China. In like 2 weeks. :)

These are the photos of original 2GB RAM and Upgraded 4GB RAM Chips #164

2GB RAM Original 5X
    Q3h517e.jpg

4GB RAM Upgraded 5X
    1f12k90.jpg
    https://lihkg.com/thread/159418/page/5
    Just talked to the dude on WeChat, he confirmed RMB400 for CPU r̶e̶f̶l̶o̶w̶ reballing and 4GB RAM upgrade.

I also made sense of his address in somewhat of an international format:
    Mr. Huang Jinhui
    Yuanwang Digital Mall, 1st floor 1065
    HuaQiang North Road
    Shenzhen, Futian District, HuaQiang North
    518000 Guangdong
    People's Republic of China

WeChat ID: 784439978
    Phone number: 15919836083

I will ship my other N5X first thing on Monday with the Romanian National Post Service. I will keep you updated, as soon as is gets to China. In like 2 weeks.

Later edit: That shipping never happened. Exams and some poor money management sucked me dry of time and cash for a while. I will probably resume this some time in fall.

*Payment seems to be a problem since it would be done through WeChat Wallet that isn't available outside of China. Even if we make it pop up in the app by changing the language to Chinese, I'm having a hard time believing that it would support our variety of bank accounts and cards.
    So this is put to bed for some time...

**Another method would consist of purchasing the BGA Reballing stencils from Aliexpress and then finding a local shop that specializes in BGA Reballing for various chips and let them do it. It may be more expensive than the Chinese way and you're stuck with the existing 2GB of RAM, but I find it more convenient.
    http://goo.gl/9F5xum - Snapdragon 808 MSM(8992MS) BGA Reballing stencils for CPU and RAM.
    For everyone, who want to upgrade mainboard 5x with 4GB, you can buy this
    H791 Mainboard Motherboard 4G RAM
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/oud...for-LG-H791-32GB-Motherboard/32846103543.html
    haha nice :D how much is all the cost sir? can you send a screenshot of cpu-z ? :D
    this?
    czwsxJ5.png
    wow! this is amazing. how much did it cost to you?

i paid CNY 400, roughly USD $60 to fix it