Fix to modify /vendor partition on 7.1.2 & February patches

Search This thread

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
TL;DR - Apparently Google did something in their most recent updates that ignored all modifications made to /vendor...

So recently Google gave us the 7.1.2 and February patch updates. They decided not to mention much on behalf of the 7.1.2 and let us figure it all out. "Yay", they've given us fingerprint perfect - or is it. Seems they decided to do something quite sneaky. They've made sure /vendor cannot be edited or modified, but it's used by many mods and even Substratum Legacy.

HERE Per Lykce noticed this with and gave a fix with the February patches.

Let's get this fixed up cleanly!
Per Lycke said:
The common fix is to re-flash the vendor partition in fastboot. Don't forget to pick a slot for the partition if you're using the Pixel.
In other words:
  1. Enter fastboot mode (with OEM Unlocked, obviously).
  2. Download and extract one of the device images below (relevant to your version).
  3. Copy the vendor.img file to the folder containing fastboot.exe and it's necessities.
  4. Open command prompt (or your OS's terminal application) in the folder with the vendor.img and fastboot (previously platform-tools) files.
  5. Type
    Code:
    fastboot.exe flash vendor vendor.img
  6. Go to TWRP and reflash all your mods that use the /vendor partition and or retheme your device using Substratum.
  7. Reboot and done, your mods have finally applied :D!

EDIT: Apparently, the 7.1.2 allows /vendor modification from within the ROM but not TWRP, I'm not sure whether you can flash mods in TWRP on a February patch but you can't modify from within the ROM!

Last edited:

Xenotrumpet

Sep 22, 2013
TX
This goes beyond the 5X; my Nexus 6P fails to apply overlays on the Feb. 2017 patch. I can only assume anyone who has the patch or 7.1.2 won't be getting Substratum up and running that easily.

ryaniskira

Mar 28, 2013
Chattanooga
This goes beyond the 5X; my Nexus 6P fails to apply overlays on the Feb. 2017 patch. I can only assume anyone who has the patch or 7.1.2 won't be getting Substratum up and running that easily.

Well anyone who is using Substratum is already going to be rooted and thus have an unlocked bootloader, so they will easily be able to follow the instructions given for the fix.

Reactions: LazerL0rd

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev

Try following the instructions after a dirty ROM flash. Also, try booting up your device a few times before actually flashing the vendor image. This allows the system to "set-up" the vendor mounts and everything, and flashing after that won't be affected. Sometimes it just doesn't work, so just keep trying it and it should eventually :good:.

Also, it would be great if you could tell me what you are trying to do. Substratum Legacy? Newer security updaters prevent many previous mods from working (eg. PIE-only) and that may be your case instead.

matslarson

Jun 9, 2014
I must be missing something here. If the problem is that the vendor partition can't be modified anymore, why does downgrading to a previous version of substratum magically fix it? For the record, reflashing the vendor image did nothing for me either.

Reactions: Xenotrumpet

Haik0

May 15, 2012
Does anybody else has this bug with WiFi Settings on 7.1.2 ?
When you try to enter in to the WiFi Settings (the gear icon) the Settings crash! "Settings has stopped"

LazerL0rd

Nov 2, 2016
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
www.thezest.dev
I must be missing something here. If the problem is that the vendor partition can't be modified anymore, why does downgrading to a previous version of substratum magically fix it? For the record, reflashing the vendor image did nothing for me either.

Like I said. Some people have it, some don't. Substratum had it's own previous issue too, but that's what you experienced.

Up till what ik, This issue occurs in custom ROMs with the stock vendor partition (AKA PixelROM).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TL;DR - Apparently Google did something in their most recent updates that ignored all modifications made to /vendor...

So recently Google gave us the 7.1.2 and February patch updates. They decided not to mention much on behalf of the 7.1.2 and let us figure it all out. "Yay", they've given us fingerprint perfect - or is it. Seems they decided to do something quite sneaky. They've made sure /vendor cannot be edited or modified, but it's used by many mods and even Substratum Legacy.

HERE Per Lykce noticed this with and gave a fix with the February patches.

Let's get this fixed up cleanly!
    Per Lycke said:
    The common fix is to re-flash the vendor partition in fastboot. Don't forget to pick a slot for the partition if you're using the Pixel.
    In other words:
    1. Enter fastboot mode (with OEM Unlocked, obviously).
    2. Download and extract one of the device images below (relevant to your version).
    3. Copy the vendor.img file to the folder containing fastboot.exe and it's necessities.
    4. Open command prompt (or your OS's terminal application) in the folder with the vendor.img and fastboot (previously platform-tools) files.
    5. Type
      Code:
      fastboot.exe flash vendor vendor.img
    6. Go to TWRP and reflash all your mods that use the /vendor partition and or retheme your device using Substratum.
    7. Reboot and done, your mods have finally applied :D!

EDIT: Apparently, the 7.1.2 allows /vendor modification from within the ROM but not TWRP, I'm not sure whether you can flash mods in TWRP on a February patch but you can't modify from within the ROM!
    Does anybody else has this bug with WiFi Settings on 7.1.2 ?
    When you try to enter in to the WiFi Settings (the gear icon) the Settings crash! "Settings has stopped"

That's not relevant to this thread. However, yes that is a bug in 7.1.2 developer preview 1.

Well anyone who is using Substratum is already going to be rooted and thus have an unlocked bootloader, so they will easily be able to follow the instructions given for the fix.