Nexus 5x 32GB 4GB ram + 3400mAh battery + heatsink mod

Search This thread

octavioromo

Jun 16, 2009
Unfortunately I couldn't recommend the 5x, had 2 both boot looped. Had one completely replace by LG to one that looked new, and that one started looping about 6 months later. I tried to make it work, it's a solid phone but not worth the time. I got a use pixel and it's super solid phone. Save up a bit and just go for a newer phone. I always buy used that are a bit dated. Hope this helps!

Hey, thanks for the feedback! Does your 5X still work after all this time? I'm looking to buy one of these chinese modded Nexus 5X motherboards to revive my old 5X! I understand the heatsink mod is crucial to avoid further bootlooping, so I was about to order the copper pad until I saw your comment (and LeonF's) about it causing GPS issues. I'm glad you posted this because now I'm ordering Arctic thermal pads instead.

I was just waiting for a price decrease and this seems like a good time to buy the motherboard. I can't post links (new user) but there's one on AliExpress that has 4GB RAM/32GB ROM and currently costs 78 USD because of the winter sales!

pedrohmc

Jan 18, 2019
Unfortunately I couldn't recommend the 5x, had 2 both boot looped. Had one completely replace by LG to one that looked new, and that one started looping about 6 months later. I tried to make it work, it's a solid phone but not worth the time. I got a use pixel and it's super solid phone. Save up a bit and just go for a newer phone. I always buy used that are a bit dated. Hope this helps!

I ended up not buying the motherboard because the sale ended before I expected, so I guess that's fate lol

I've had the OnePlus 5 for about 8 months now and was actually thinking of keeping the 5X as a backup phone, but I guess I should just give up on it then. Thanks!

sasank360

Feb 27, 2012
Hyderabad
Initial feedback on Oudini "4GB RAM" motherboard for Nexus 5X

Hello everyone. Couple of weeks back my nexus 5X died. It did not come as a shock to me as I was kinda expecting it tbh. It showed signs over last 6 months, like freezing once / twice a week and in later days 3 times a DAY !

Finally after it died I found this thread and immediately ordered the Oudini motherboard. I had a screwdriver kit, so I decided to do the replacement myself.
I am from India and the shipment took exactly 2 weeks to reach my door. It was packaged really well.

Installed the board onto my device along with a new oem(LG) battery (Not the large capacity one mentioned in OP). I paid attention to the small proximity sensor gasket that was sitting on the dead motherboard. Placed it onto the frame of device before seating the new motherboard.

After everything was done I powered it up and was surprised to see it running android 7.1. It has 3.6GB total memory and around 29GB of usable storage. :good:

I decided not to waste time, so I unlocked the bootloader. Then flashed latest Oreo image (DEC 2018). Then followed it up with the 4-Core TWRP from this thread :-
https://xdaforums.com/nexus-5x/general/tool-bootloop-death-blod-workaround-t3819497

Then booted into recovery and flashed LOS 15.1, Pico Gapps, ElementalX 6.12, Magisk and MOST IMPORTANTLY BLOD AK2 Zip (from thread mentioned above).
I want to run the 4-core mod on this device as I don't play pubg or do any CPU intensive work. So far so good. I tested a bunch of stuff like phone calls, mobile data, gps, camera etc. All work perfectly.
Also the bootloader stays unlocked even after multiple reboots.

BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO GAVE THEIR FEEDBACK ON THIS MOTHERBOARD. Thanks to @LeonF for this thread. Cheers !!

Reactions: CLPose and cmdkill
D

Deleted member 7549447

Hello everyone. Couple of weeks back my nexus 5X died. It did not come as a shock to me as I was kinda expecting it tbh. It showed signs over last 6 months, like freezing once / twice a week and in later days 3 times a DAY !

Finally after it died I found this thread and immediately ordered the Oudini motherboard. I had a screwdriver kit, so I decided to do the replacement myself.
I am from India and the shipment took exactly 2 weeks to reach my door. It was packaged really well.

Installed the board onto my device along with a new oem(LG) battery (Not the large capacity one mentioned in OP). I paid attention to the small proximity sensor gasket that was sitting on the dead motherboard. Placed it onto the frame of device before seating the new motherboard.

After everything was done I powered it up and was surprised to see it running android 7.1. It has 3.6GB total memory and around 29GB of usable storage. :good:

I decided not to waste time, so I unlocked the bootloader. Then flashed latest Oreo image (DEC 2018). Then followed it up with the 4-Core TWRP from this thread :-
https://xdaforums.com/nexus-5x/general/tool-bootloop-death-blod-workaround-t3819497

Then booted into recovery and flashed LOS 15.1, Pico Gapps, ElementalX 6.12, Magisk and MOST IMPORTANTLY BLOD AK2 Zip (from thread mentioned above).
I want to run the 4-core mod on this device as I don't play pubg or do any CPU intensive work. So far so good. I tested a bunch of stuff like phone calls, mobile data, gps, camera etc. All work perfectly.
Also the bootloader stays unlocked even after multiple reboots.

BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO GAVE THEIR FEEDBACK ON THIS MOTHERBOARD. Thanks to @LeonF for this thread. Cheers !!

Hey, im also interested in buying this.
But first, it seems that if the guy selling this replaced the ram he also had to replace the cpu... so i would like to know which CPU is there installed? Could you please fire up some free system info app and find out which exact model of cpu does it have? We know that the original motherboard included Qualcomm MSM8992 Snapdragon 808, aka bootlop CPU, so im interested if this one contains something else, maybe less prone to bootlop some time in the future.

I would be very grateful, thanks.

peterpv

Oct 23, 2007
Wijchen
... We know that the original motherboard included Qualcomm MSM8992 Snapdragon 808, aka bootlop CPU, so im interested if this one contains something else, maybe less prone to bootlop some time in the future.

I would be very grateful, thanks.

It is not the CPU itself that's causing the bootloop issue but the combination of the CPU + RAM in one package. The issue is caused by connections getting loose between the packaged chips and the phone's PCB and/or connections inside the CPU + RAM package.

I do not think you can change / upgrade the CPU either, it has to fit in the whole design of the phone PCB so the CPU will be the same model as before.

If the CPU + RAM chip package was made in a "better" way than the original that is in the Nexus 5X then maybe it could be immune to the bootloop issue. There is no way for us to be sure, only Samsung and / or LG know the details of who (which factory) packaged those CPU + RAM

Dininthedrider

Dec 24, 2010
Just an update after almost a year sice I purchased an oudini 4gb mainboard.
In total I have bought 5 pcs among which 2 were faulty (bootloader locked itself, then died in two weeks). The seller send a replacement for free, and those boards are still working fine. The last one I bought is ok, but the camera stops working after half an hour, and reboots when I try to open it.
So out of 5, only 2 pcs are without issues, but it worth to mention that the seller is very helpful, and replaced the faulty boards free of charge.
For the 80 USD price, you are better off with anothere device, but if you like to live on the edge, try the oudini boards :)

Reactions: CLPose

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Really don't think a heatsink mod is needed, in my old phone I used a 0.1mm(or 0.2mm I forgot) copper shim over where the CPU is, stuck it on with thermal paste, didn't make much difference in cpu temp.
    A .1 or .2 mm shim won't indeed change anything, it's way too thin for the chip to be in contact with the chassis. Especially if you don't remove the factory yellow pad and the thin foil from the chip shield.
    With a .8 or .9 mm copper pad (can't tell for sure, I sanded down a 1mm pad) I can guarantee that you'll notice the temp difference, the throttling is almost gone.
    It also depends on what thermal paste you use and how much of it.

Also to everybody wondering why the bootloop issue occures, here's a few things:
    The 808 and 810 were the first x64 chips Qualcomm came up with as a response to Apple's. So you can imagine they aren't exactly well thought out, especially in the long run. You can do a bit of research to see how they just janked together some ARM cortexes, slammed a GPU in there and called it a day. Samsung even ditched the 810 from the S6 and used in-house silicon - I think we can safely assume Samsung knows its hw game.
    The stock thermal config and kernel are absolute garbage and don't help at all with the thermal throttling that keeps the little cluster pinned at 1440Mhz and the big one off, anytime the package is above 46°C - that's most of the time. Now you tell me how easy that is on the hw.
    These design flaws coupled with possibly bad soldering led to our problems. Even though it's hard to imagine that so many boards made it out of the production line with bad soldering since that's a mostly automated and very tidy job, leaving little to mistake.
    Needed an inexpensive spare phone. Picked up a Nexus 5x 16GB for less than USD50, with problems (Unable to turn on, only red LED when trying to charge) so starting a project to revive it.
    Stumbled across this thread.
    Bit the bullet and bought the oudini UNLOCKED H791 32GB Mainboard with the 4GB RAM and a Da Da Xiong 3400mAh Battery to go with it.
    Planning to do the copper heatsink mod too.

Was thinking of expanding on the idea of the copper heatsink mod with this Experimental "home-made" modding for heat dissipation mod. Aluminum foil was used along with liquid metal thermal compound in that thread. Not a good idea as liquid metal with aluminum is a recipe for disaster. I was thinking of using copper foil instead. Haven't decided on whether to use thermal paste or liquid metal. Also thinking of creating a bigger surface footprint for the "heat dissipation pipe" like the attached picture.
    Your thoughts? :confused:

Will update once all parts arrive and I begin assembling. :fingers-crossed:
    Attached Thumbnails
    Good luck with that. Sounds like fun.

With that mainboard, is there any guarantee it won't start bootlooping a few months down the road?

At the moment, no one reported bootloops on Nexus 5X with 4GB Ram. We will see in the future.
    Good luck with that. Sounds like fun.

With that mainboard, is there any guarantee it won't start bootlooping a few months down the road?

I guess there are no guarantees... My understanding is, this bootloop is caused by hardware problem with solder connections between the board, RAM and CPU. The RAM is packed with the CPU together on the top.
    This main board has had a new RAM/CPU soldered on. So unless it was a shoddy job, it should all work. Now, under heavy load, heat builds, and when it gets too hot, there is a possibility of the solder connections giving problems again. Which is why I thought of doing the copper heatsink mods to reduce the chances of it happening. Also, with the 4GB of RAM, I am hoping it will have less stress on both CPU and RAM, which in turn will generate less heat, thus reducing the chances of the problems with the solder connections.

All this is just theoretical. I guess I have to build it and see how it goes. :fingers-crossed: