Nexus 5X melted USB port using charger from Google Store

Search This thread

mglehtonen

Nov 6, 2011
Woke up in the middle of the night to the smell of burnt electronics and melting plastic. My Nexus 5X was very hot to the touch and the plastic around the USB connector was melted. The charging cable (Universal 15W USB Type-C Charger purchased from the Google store) was also a bit melted and was stuck, but came out without too much force. I called Google support today and they are going to replace both the phone and the charger.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Has this happened to anyone else?

It would seem to me that this is all the more reason to purchase chargers directly from Google; if I had not, I imagine this could all be blamed on an after-market cable.

Last edited:

androidsnax

Feb 17, 2011
Glasgow
Glad that nothing bad happened mate, i for one will only be charging mine in the daytime while I'm awake! I find that the phone only loses a few percent overnight and the fast charging on usb-c means it can be topped up quickly while i get ready for work etc.

Let's hope this was an isolated incident - glad you are ok though!

Sent from my Nexus 5X

mglehtonen

Nov 6, 2011
That's a first for me. Haven't heard of this happening with the 5X yet.
Do the pins on the cable connector or the phones USB port look bent or are making contact with each other?

I didn't have much time to check the cable before running to work this morning and the phone port is blackened to the point where I can't see any pins. I'll take a closer look later and report back.

Reactions: androidsnax

mglehtonen

Nov 6, 2011
Glad that nothing bad happened mate, i for one will only be charging mine in the daytime while I'm awake! I find that the phone only loses a few percent overnight and the fast charging on usb-c means it can be topped up quickly while i get ready for work etc.

Thanks! Yeah, there's a nice spot on my nightstand where she was beginning to smolder. Good thing I was restless last night

Reactions: androidsnax

Nidstang

May 15, 2014
Google Pixel 6
I have seen a lot of press on how various 3rd-party type-c chargers can damage the 5X, but I have yet to see anyone have the same issue with a charger purchased directly from Google. Has this happened to anyone else?

Actually, my understanding is that third party cables could damage the source of the charging, not the 5X (i.e., a power brick, a computer's USB port, etc.). This is because the 5X tries to pull more juice than the source can handle.

If I am right on that, then your issue is completely unrelated to the issue with 3rd party cables.

mglehtonen

Nov 6, 2011
Actually, my understanding is that third party cables could damage the source of the charging, not the 5X (i.e., a power brick, a computer's USB port, etc.). This is because the 5X tries to pull more juice than the source can handle.

If I am right on that, then your issue is completely unrelated to the issue with 3rd party cables.

After further research, I believe you are correct. It appears that this was either an issue with the phone's internals or Google's charger shorting out. Either way, I'm still glad it didn't happen with a 3rd party cable/charger for warranty purposes.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Just for the heck of it you might want to check the voltages in your home if you can. Although it does sound like a faulty charger since this is the only report of it happening.

jmkhenka

Jun 1, 2009
Just for the heck of it you might want to check the voltages in your home if you can. Although it does sound like a faulty charger since this is the only report of it happening.

This is not caused by voltage but by the charged supplying to much current.

Also the chargers are often certified for 100 to 250 volts or around that and is switched, spikes or even a minor spike in voltage will not cause this.

This is probably a bad wire or bad control ciructry in the device(s), depending on source. 3A is quite alot considering the small wirs used in the cable.

mglehtonen

Nov 6, 2011
This is not caused by voltage but by the charged supplying to much current.

Also the chargers are often certified for 100 to 250 volts or around that and is switched, spikes or even a minor spike in voltage will not cause this.

This is probably a bad wire or bad control ciructry in the device(s), depending on source. 3A is quite alot considering the small wirs used in the cable.

Thanks, you are correct - I believe the charger says it is rated for 100-240.

bnelly3383

Jan 22, 2016
Same thing happened to me last night! Woke up to a burned up charging port and cable with the bumper case melted all together with it. Houston we have a problem! I called Google and they are sending me a new device....perhaps to finish the job.

Maritus1

Dec 14, 2013
Same thing happened to me last night! Woke up to a burned up charging port and cable with the bumper case melted all together with it. Houston we have a problem! I called Google and they are sending me a new device....perhaps to finish the job.

Do you have used the original charger that is shipped with the phone? And which kernel have you been using, the stock one?

koax88

May 1, 2011
after a bit of research, i found that this problem does not apply only to nexus 5x, its mostly on the port fault either on the cable or the phone , something is shorting inside the cable ( bent leg ?)

eduardoll

Aug 14, 2011
My USB connector melted too with the original usb cable and charger (then I tried with other cable to check whether charging was still working, and it melted again). Unfortunately I bought the phone while I was traveling to the US, I can't send it to RMA here in Brazil...

Luckily I was awake at the moment and could hear and smell the plastic melting... The plastic piece of the USB cable got stucked inside the phone

0u8zWXH.jpg

mY0IEsg.jpg

51BNO8u.jpg

Last edited:

koax88

May 1, 2011
My USB connector melted too with the original usb cable and charger (then I tried with other cable to check whether charging was still working, and it melted again). Unfortunately I bought the phone while I was traveling to the US, I can't send it to RMA here in Brazil...

Luckily I was awake at the moment and could hear and smell the plastic melting... The plastic piece of the USB cable got stucked inside the phone

0u8zWXH.jpg

mY0IEsg.jpg

51BNO8u.jpg

may i ask, how long did u use your phone?is it your first charge or its just happen after a while?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Woke up in the middle of the night to the smell of burnt electronics and melting plastic. My Nexus 5X was very hot to the touch and the plastic around the USB connector was melted. The charging cable (Universal 15W USB Type-C Charger purchased from the Google store) was also a bit melted and was stuck, but came out without too much force. I called Google support today and they are going to replace both the phone and the charger.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Has this happened to anyone else?

It would seem to me that this is all the more reason to purchase chargers directly from Google; if I had not, I imagine this could all be blamed on an after-market cable.
    USB C is a physical connector type/plug/shape/pinout. Both ends are reversible and the plug itself can be oriented face up or down.

USB 3.0/3.1 are data protocols that run on top of a physical USB cable. They can run on a USB C cable but don't need to necessarily. They can run on older cables as well.

USB C cables can carry stuff other than USB, they can carry thunderbolt, HDMI, Displayport, etc.

56K resistor is required on any legacy USB A to USB C cable on the specified line/pin because the USB C devices use that line/pin to detect whether they are connected to a legacy device.

That's right, if you connect a USB C device to a USB A port, it is the *cable* (via the 56K pullup resistor) that tells the USB C device that the source is USB A and thus the USB C device should limit current draw to .5 to 1.5A. Similarly, if you have an USB A to USB C (or micro USB to USB C) converter, by specification, they must have the 56K pullup resistor on the specified line and by using such a cable you are limiting your charge rate regardless of what the source can theoretically support.

Some cables put the 10K resistor in which configures the USB line in such a way as to make the USB C device think it can pull 3A instead. If your USB A source can really do 3A then there is no issue, but who knows what you connect these USB A to USB C cables to in the future. You might connect to an old PC USB port which can only do .5A. Now the source could have separate protections to avoid more than .5A draw, but it isn't necessarily so, so it is dangerous to have these cables in the wild where anyone could pick them up and have no idea their power source might become overheated/melt/burn/etc.

As to your charger, it might not expose the proper configuration lines to tell the USB C device what rate it supports. USB C to USB C cables are supposed to be passthrough so the cables themselves shouldn't be affecting your charging rates, unlike USB A to USB C cables, where the cables specify the power source capability.

Having said all that, if you have a melted port/cable, it might have nothing to do with the cable. You could have a defective battery that overheated independent of the charging rate. You've of course heard of laptop LiIon batteries that caught fire. These were being charged at the correct rates, just were defective. If the battery overheated, that heat could transfer through the charging connector and to the cable itself, eventually affecting the USB C plug where it connects to the phone.

The cable could also be defective causing issues with the power source. It is hard to predict what would happen in that situation as if you overheat a power source your output probably isn't predictable, especially if things start melting and getting fused together.

Sent from my Nexus 5X
    This thread is terrifying.
    I have seen a lot of press on how various 3rd-party type-c chargers can damage the 5X, but I have yet to see anyone have the same issue with a charger purchased directly from Google. Has this happened to anyone else?