FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TOOL] Unblod - Fix your Nexus 5X that's in the bootloop-of-death

208 posts
Thanks Meter: 250

By theGeekyLad, Senior Member on 12th December 2017, 06:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
INTRODUCTION
We all know the famous bootloop-of-death on the Nexus 5X and there's finally something we can do about it, thanks to XCnathan32 who devised a fix that works on all security patch updates by Google. What Unblod does is quite simple. It's a tool that automates the entire process of generating a boot.img that runs on 4 of the A53 cores. It's all about just a few taps and right now supports only Windows!

PREREQUISITES
  1. A Windows PC
  2. A boot.imgfrom any ROM of your choice (even stock)
    1. if ( you're unsure which ROM's on your phone ) - [Difficulty = Easy] [Recommended]
      1. Get the stock factory image of the Android version of your choice
      2. Extract the ZIP
      3. Follow the instructions described above to flash the image onto your device
      4. Move into the extracted folder and open the image-bullhead-<build_no>.zip
      5. Copy the boot.img from within to your desired folder (e.g. Desktop)
    2. if ( you know which ROM's on your phone ) - [Difficulty - Intermediate]
      1. Download the boot.img of the build that corresponds to that of the ROM on your phone from here or here (for Android O)
      2. Copy the boot.img from within to your desired folder (e.g. Desktop)
  3. A BLOD-bricked Nexus 5X
    1. With bootloader unlocked
    2. In fastboot / bootloader mode
  4. About 15 minutes

STEPS
  1. Download the attached ZIP
  2. Extract Unblod.zip
  3. Launch Unblod.exe
  4. Tap Load and browse to the location of the boot image that you'd copied sometime back in step 2-1-5 (e.g. Desktop)
  5. [Recommended] Check the auto-flash box if you'd like to flash the modified boot.img automatically onto your phone
  6. Connect your Nexus 5X in bootloader / fastboot mode to your PC
  7. Tap Run and wait for the tasks to complete (i.e. till the status field says idle)
  8. After about a minute or so your device should boot
NOTES
  1. Wait for a while as the first boot would take quite some time on the smaller 4 cores
  2. If you'd like to flash a recovery, a modified TWRP recovery image is required as the unmodified ones fail on 4 cores - get one from here
  3. You'd have lost root by now so consider rooting your device again (by flashing Magisk / SuperSu)
  4. Feel free to lock your bootloader
BUGS
None at the moment. The tool is in BETA right now though it has been tested for complete success on my Nexus 5X as you can see in the attached screenshots. Kindly let me know if there are any bugs! Also if your device is suffering from a motherboard failure or any other kind of hardware fault, Unblod ain't gonna do no magic. It does what it says and I take no ownership of your bricked device!

CREDITS
  • XCnathan32 - for his awesome work on inventing the 4-core fix
  • osm0sis - for his amazing AIK Linux Kitchen
  • T1mb3 - for his thread that houses all the fixed boot images and associated recoveries
DOWNLOADS
Check out the attached file. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unblod Illustration.jpg
Views:	12630
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	4358937  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Unblod.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.84 MB, 20332 views)
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to theGeekyLad For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift theGeekyLad Ad-Free

12th December 2017, 06:33 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGeekyLad

INTRODUCTION
We all know the famous bootloop-of-death on the Nexus 5X and there's finally something we can do about it, thanks to XCnathan32 who devised a fix that works on all security patch updates by Google. What Unblod does is quite simple. It's a tool that automates the entire process of generating a boot.img that runs on 4 of the A53 cores. It's all about just a few taps and right now supports only Windows!

STEPS
As simple as just extracting the attached ZIP and launching Unblod.exe! The rest just follows and requires just your presence of mind (and a bricked Nexus 5X in fastboot mode, of course). All you need to do is make sure the build of the ROM that's on your device matches that of the boot.img supplied - that's more of a precautionary step. The rest is self-explanatory! Make sure you leave your Nexus 5X in fastboot mode connected to your PC if you choose to use the auto-flash feature that's bundled in.

BUGS
None at the moment. The tool is in BETA right now though it has been tested for complete success on my Nexus 5X as you can see in the attached screenshots. Kindly let me know if there are any bugs! Also if your device is suffering from a motherboard failure or any other kind of hardware fault, Unblod ain't gonna do no magic. It does what it says and I take no ownership of your bricked device!

CREDITS

• XCnathan32 - for his awesome work on inventing the 4-core fix
  • osm0sis - for his amazing AIK Linux Kitchen
  • T1mb3 - for his thread that houses all the fixed boot images and associated recoveries

DOWNLOADS
Check out the attached file. Thanks!

What is the use of this? cover the two cores?

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5X mediante Tapatalk
12th December 2017, 06:38 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Thane

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stifmaster81

What is the use of this? cover the two cores?

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5X mediante Tapatalk

The BLOD as indicated in a popular XDA post is due to the A57 cores breaking (I guess due to thermal throttling). I also heard in a certain Reddit post that it's due to contact pins breaking underneath the A57s. So this fix just disables the A57s and the phone works fine on the A53s.

Thanks stifmaster81!
The Following User Says Thank You to theGeekyLad For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift theGeekyLad Ad-Free
14th December 2017, 07:17 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Please provide some step by step instruction,and pre-installation requirements to run this tool, thanks.

Okay, fixed the problem, great tool and it works!
15th December 2017, 02:17 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
5 engines detected this file
SHA-256 fe7bbba705746a11c3137dacb53627e3016ba01d0bcd61fdbb d20b3e4125a331
File name Unblod.zip
File size 5.37 MB
Last analysis 2017-12-15 02:15:02 UTC

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/fe...20b3e4125a331/
15th December 2017, 12:52 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Thane

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousbeing

Please provide some step by step instruction,and pre-installation requirements to run this tool, thanks.

Hey curiousbeing! Coming up soon. Will be posting a step by step guide.
18th December 2017, 08:00 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 143

More
Does the phone need to be rooted/unlocked for this tool to work and fix the bootloop?
19th December 2017, 12:58 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGeekyLad

Hey curiousbeing! Coming up soon. Will be posting a step by step guide.

I will waiting for yout step by step!

Enviado de meu Nexus 5X usando Tapatalk
19th December 2017, 09:42 AM |#9  
Flag Rho
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNascimento

Me too...
19th December 2017, 02:23 PM |#10  
Flag Syria,Hims
Thanks Meter: 137

Donate to Me
More
Me too...
20th December 2017, 05:41 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Thane

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by monzer

Me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mireste

Me too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVNascimento

Enviado de meu Nexus 5X usando Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousbeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxiumwind

Does the phone need to be rooted/unlocked for this tool to work and fix the bootloop?

Hey guys! I'm really sorry to leave all of you hanging without detailed instructions. I've finally updated the OP with a step-by-step guide that goes right from scratch till the end. Kindly try it out and let me know of your views!

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to theGeekyLad For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift theGeekyLad Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)