Bootloader unlock vs bootlop warranty

Search This thread

Sigray

Aug 15, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hello,

is it worth to unlock the bl under warranty (till august) or recommended to keep it locked? I want to try custom roms and kernels but if i'll get a bootlop i can't relock it.
Please post your opinion, thanks

crazyates

Feb 24, 2017
Sanford, ME
I could be wrong on this, but there are two assumptions you're making, that I believed the opposite to be true.

The first is that Google won't warranty the device is that the bootloader is unlocked. I thought they would?

The second is that a software bootloop can't be fixed. If the device is bootlooping because of a hardware issue, there's no hope. I was under the impression that a software glitch could be repaired by putting it in a firmware download mode, and fastboot flashing the whole system?

Sigray

Aug 15, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I could be wrong on this, but there are two assumptions you're making, that I believed the opposite to be true.

The first is that Google won't warranty the device is that the bootloader is unlocked. I thought they would?

The second is that a software bootloop can't be fixed. If the device is bootlooping because of a hardware issue, there's no hope. I was under the impression that a software glitch could be repaired by putting it in a firmware download mode, and fastboot flashing the whole system?

I talked about the hw bootloop.
My question is : can I relock the bootloader if I get a hw bootlop? I know it will stuck at google logo but maybe the bl reachable...

beefynick

Dec 12, 2011
Ohio
If you have a hardware related bootloop you may be able to re-lock the bootloader, however the phone may be completely unresponsive (mine was completely unresponsive when I had the hw related bootloop). The phone also may respond for a bit then become unresponsive again.

Did you buy your device from Google? If so, they are not concerned about an unlocked bootloader (at least the two reps I talked to when both of my devices bootlooped said that it was not a problem and both of my devices have been replaced out of warranty).

Sigray

Aug 15, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
If you have a hardware related bootloop you may be able to re-lock the bootloader, however the phone may be completely unresponsive (mine was completely unresponsive when I had the hw related bootloop). The phone also may respond for a bit then become unresponsive again.

Did you buy your device from Google? If so, they are not concerned about an unlocked bootloader (at least the two reps I talked to when both of my devices bootlooped said that it was not a problem and both of my devices have been replaced out of warranty).
No, not from the Google

Duckscreen

Mar 17, 2014
In reverse If you get bootloop you cannot unlock bootloader.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

shut_down

Sep 26, 2010
Belgrade
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE
I am interested in this also. I was planing to buy new Nexus 5X now, but all bootloop thing is making me consider. I am not sure if it is worth to gamble. :) But as I see over forum, it is not like 50% of phones bootloops. It is a lot less percent.