FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Win Honor 9 Lite

View Poll Results: Do you experience poor touchscreen latency (input lag) with the Nexus 5X?

Yes

83 Vote(s)
67.48%
No

40 Vote(s)
32.52%

Poor touchscreen latency?

9 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By ianmc_uk, Junior Member on 20th October 2015, 05:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
29th October 2015, 12:26 AM |#21  
Flag Cowtown, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,744

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmc_uk

Thanks! How do you find out the manufacture date?

I think I remember seeing it on the box label, where your IMEI and other info is.

29th October 2015, 05:00 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
[QUOTE=ianmc_uk;63539496]Thanks! How do you find out the manufacture date?

On your box you will find a serial number the first digit relates to the year the next two relate to the month. My serial number starts 510 therefore date of manufacture was October 2015.. Incidentally the phone that I returned was also manufactured in October so in my case at least date of manufacture appears to have made no difference.
29th October 2015, 08:56 AM |#23  
OP Junior Member

More
Thanks!

October 2015 for me too, I shall return it today.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
29th October 2015, 12:55 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I just contacted Google support to report the issue, thinking they would replace the device, but instead I was told that they do not recommend using the phone whilst it is charging as it can affect the battery. Further to that they suggested trying another charger, which I don't have....

My only option was to return it for a full refund. Thanks Google support, really helpful there!
29th October 2015, 02:21 PM |#25  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 644

More
Fast charging also doesn't work if the phone is heating up, possibly you guys using your phone while its charging are also causing it to over heat as fast charging generates a lot of heat.

People replacing their devices, I wonder if its just the charger that needs to be replaced to fix this issue? I have no touch screen issues while charging or not BTW.
29th October 2015, 02:33 PM |#26  
OP Junior Member

More
I've just been to Carphone Warehouse where they were very reluctant to replace the phone as it was "barely noticeable" to them - try using it for a couple of weeks!

Anyway, the replacement phone (and replacement charger) have the same problem. C'est la vie! They did say they wouldn't entertain any further replacements before I was able to check the new phone away from the store.

Original and replacement both manufactured October 2015.
1st November 2015, 09:53 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Can confirm it is depending on the wall charger used. I have tested 5 wall chargers: 3 are a no go, two are fine (including the Nexus 10 one...if anyone of you still rocks that good ol' tablet)
6th November 2015, 10:52 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theme Ishere

Can confirm it is depending on the wall charger used. I have tested 5 wall chargers: 3 are a no go, two are fine (including the Nexus 10 one...if anyone of you still rocks that good ol' tablet)

Was the nexus 10 charger a fast charger? It only seemed to do it when fast charging for me.

Also, as a follow up to my last post, I managed to get a replacement phone sent out and it's miles better than the original. There's still a minor bit of lag at times but it's far more usable.

I will however heed advice, regarding using the phone whilst it's charging, and only do it if I really need to.
12th November 2015, 01:38 PM |#29  
OP Junior Member

More
Its the charger
Having tested with the generic 15W charger on the Google Play store, I can confirm it is only the supplied LG charger that causes this problem.

I wonder if LG/Google will acknowledge this or do anything about it.
18th November 2015, 03:15 PM |#30  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I've only just found this post!

I'm having the exact same issue when charging, screen becomes unresponsive and laggy.

For me so far, it seams to be only with the stock charger, and also much more noticeable the lower the amount of charge is in the battery. If the phone isn't charging rapidly it doesn't seem to happen (or when it does is much less annoying or noticeable). Using a 1A or 2A charger it seems to be just fine with. I don't have an 3A chargers to test (or any that seem to trigger the 'charging rapidly' notification, not even my Nexus 10 one) to test to see if it is just the supplied charger or a fault in the phone when charging rapidly.

I took mine back to Carphone Warehouse today and they wouldn't swap it as they believe it is only the cable at fault (possibly to do with the shielding in the cable) and therefore they don't replace it, they just replace the cable via LG (which they didn't have any spares to replace it with).
They didn't have any cables to test the fault either, nor any way to check the draw of the phone while charging using USB-C to USB-C. They used an ebay looking USB-A to C cable with a 2.1A charger. The phone drew the full 2.1A when the screen was off and the lock screen stated it was 'charging' (so not rapidly). The draw dropped to 0.5A when we started using the device. While using the device there was a vary vary minor slow down and lag, but not enough to affect typing on the keyboard which is my main issue when charing with the stock charger. The only visual sign of any slowdown was animations were laggy every now and then. This wasn't enough for them to believe it was a phone fault, so I still have the original device and without a cable replacement as they don't have any USB-C cables to do any further tests.

They basically told me to find another charger that I can bring in that also causes the fault and only then would they consider replacing the device and cable. Not the best customer service considering they were meant to be the 'Geek Squad' but didn't even have the equipment needed to test the device properly. I also only have till tomorrow, as thats when my 'return to store to replace' warranty runs out, after that it'll be a 'send off to LG' job.

Anyone seen anything from Google about this recently? I can't seem to find anything online about it other than a few posts on here.
20th November 2015, 07:20 PM |#31  
Indy
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Here is my post from the Nexus Help Forums. The TL;DR version is I've tried multiple chargers and cables on two Nexus 5Xes and all of them do it to differing degrees. Unplugging instantly solves the issue.

My post:
I ordered my 5X on launch day and received it in the first batch. I also got a replacement last week because of a faulty camera.

Both have had the same major touchscreen issue when charging. Mostly I notice it when charging and I attempt to use gesture typing and instead of swiping out "actually" it will swipe out "ask i while" or some other nonsense. If I unplug, it immediately works fine. Additionally, if I plug it in, again, it might or might not work fine. Even if it mostly working, I still notice the trail of the gesture is slightly jagged instead of nice and smooth.

I have plugged in with the stock Google charger in multiple sockets as well as two third-party cables that were "certified" by Benson Leung, a Pixel engineer. The third-party cables were specifically the Nekteck and iOrange-E cables.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)