[Q&A] Noob -Friendly Q&A Help Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Search This thread

pixiedust215

Nov 8, 2015
Few Noob Questions

Hey, first off thanks for creating this thread. I've only had the Nexus 5x for two weeks and have a few questions

1) It's already lagging >:[ particularly Snapchat. I've downloaded Android Task Killer which I have used for all my phones but doesn't appear to make to much of a difference. Is there a better app or way to fix this?
2) I became a developer through settings (I remember seeing someone doing it). What are some of the features of doing that?

I would appreciate any feedback/answers. Thanks!

dj_aj

Jan 2, 2007
This is sort of a general query to get an opinion of current Nexus 5X owners.

I have a 32gb Nexus 5 on which I use about 8-9 gbs of storage and the other is often unused as I don't store music, videos etc. The only time I use the additional memory is when I create nandroid backups.
Here in Canada, the price difference between the 16GB vs 32GB Nexus 5X variants is almost $80 and I'd rather cut that off the price tag. So my questions is, how much actual usable memory is available on the 16gb variant. Also, do 16gb owners regret getting the lesser storage and why so?

Thanks!

zepeters

Oct 6, 2015
London, UK
Hey, first off thanks for creating this thread. I've only had the Nexus 5x for two weeks and have a few questions

1) It's already lagging >:[ particularly Snapchat. I've downloaded Android Task Killer which I have used for all my phones but doesn't appear to make to much of a difference. Is there a better app or way to fix this?
2) I became a developer through settings (I remember seeing someone doing it). What are some of the features of doing that?

I would appreciate any feedback/answers. Thanks!

1) From what I've heard, Snapchat doesn't currently support Marshmallow and I suppose neither it does support the 5X yet. Just wait for an app update, this is due to poor coding of the app, not the phone itself. Also, DON'T USE TASK KILLERS. Useful reading: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Task...n-good-and-you-should-stop-using-them_id64970

2) This is aimed for developers. You can enable USB debugging to issue adb/fastboot commands. That's what I use it for mostly...

Last edited:

zepeters

Oct 6, 2015
London, UK
This is sort of a general query to get an opinion of current Nexus 5X owners.

I have a 32gb Nexus 5 on which I use about 8-9 gbs of storage and the other is often unused as I don't store music, videos etc. The only time I use the additional memory is when I create nandroid backups.
Here in Canada, the price difference between the 16GB vs 32GB Nexus 5X variants is almost $80 and I'd rather cut that off the price tag. So my questions is, how much actual usable memory is available on the 16gb variant. Also, do 16gb owners regret getting the lesser storage and why so?

Thanks!

According to this...:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/You-may-want-to-stay-away-from-the-Nexus-5X-16-GB_id75639

... 10.6Gb... :s

I went straight to the 32Gb version. I also don't store videos but I do store music. My apps alone account for 8.8Gb, this including around 5Gb for Google Play Music downloaded songs. Still have 10Gb free and seems enough for me.

The fact that the phone doesn't have microsd support justifies the difference, in my opinion of course... ;)

efrant

Retired Senior Moderator & Developers Relations
Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
Samsung Galaxy S20
You only need to flash recovery and system, leave all other partitions alone and don't format userdata.

Just to add to the above: generally speaking, you should flash ALL partitions, assuming you made changes to them (except userdata and cache) to prepare for an OTA update. Depending on the update, it may check system, boot, radio or any combination thereof. I would say in most cases, flashing only system and recovery will cause the update to fail.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Heisenberg

dj_aj

Jan 2, 2007
According to this...:
http://www.phonearena.com/news/You-may-want-to-stay-away-from-the-Nexus-5X-16-GB_id75639

... 10.6Gb... :s

I went straight to the 32Gb version. I also don't store videos but I do store music. My apps alone account for 8.8Gb, this including around 5Gb for Google Play Music downloaded songs. Still have 10Gb free and seems enough for me.

The fact that the phone doesn't have microsd support justifies the difference, in my opinion of course... ;)

Thanks for your input, definitely helps narrow down the options. It'll have to be the 32gb version after all.

bsbharath1987

Jan 1, 2011
Bangalore
I've a nexus 5X. When I take a picture with the stock camera app and with the HDR+ on, I get duplicate pictures in my gallery. I know that HDR takes pictures with different exposure levels and so on, but is there a way to save only one photo, instead of two? Or is this a setting to be done on the stock gallery app?
I've come back to android (first nexus) after a couple of years on other platforms so I'm not sure if this is an android thing rather than somethings particular to the nexus

zrex

haven't rooted in years

I use to root and flash all of the time. When I got my Moto X 2013 I stopped.

I really want to root my Nexus5X, but I don't think I have found a good guide on how to do it. I have ADB and drivers installed

Do I
- OEM Unlock
- ADB install TWRP
- ?
- ?

I am sorry, but I can't find any good answers I amd on MDB08L

ghettopops

Mar 6, 2006
Has anyone noticed that if you use OK Google to create and send a text that sometimes( happened a few times to me) the next time you use OK Google it just opens google search.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

I really want to root my Nexus5X, but I don't think I have found a good guide on how to do it. I have ADB and drivers installed

Do I
- OEM Unlock
- ADB install TWRP
- ?
- ?

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-5x/general/guides-how-to-guides-beginners-t3206930

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Do I
- OEM Unlock
- ADB install TWRP
- ?
- ?

Anyone one here can test if you get the 720p60 or 1080p60 on YouTube? I'm not getting that here...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Just watched Pocket Now review of 1+x and switched from 720 to 1080.

Has anyone noticed that if you use OK Google to create and send a text that sometimes( happened a few times to me) the next time you use OK Google it just opens google search.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-5x/general/guides-how-to-guides-beginners-t3206930

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Just watched Pocket Now review of 1+x and switched from 720 to 1080.
I'm not saying that you can't switch. You just can't see 60fps videos.

Paragon_X

Mar 26, 2011
Toronto
I unlocked my bootlader, flashed the modified zip, I was on L, ot SuperSu installed but it's just stuck at the 4 circles, I can't get by it. I'm so confused. I have secure boot showing.

Last edited:

(THE REAL) Neo

Jan 7, 2012
Treviso
www.youtube.com
I've a nexus 5X. When I take a picture with the stock camera app and with the HDR+ on, I get duplicate pictures in my gallery. I know that HDR takes pictures with different exposure levels and so on, but is there a way to save only one photo, instead of two? Or is this a setting to be done on the stock gallery app?
I've come back to android (first nexus) after a couple of years on other platforms so I'm not sure if this is an android thing rather than somethings particular to the nexus
Same problem for me,but I can see the double picture,only in Google Photo.
On Quickpic I only see one picture...

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5X utilizzando Tapatalk

Reactions: bsbharath1987

tfpiaoyang

Nov 13, 2015
I'm very diappointed with the google camera now, because most of the time it cannot work properly. The lag is so serious and I dont know why. The lag even caused reboot some times. And also duplicated photos occurred one or two times. Is there any explanations or solutions for the problems I've met? or just wait for the update? Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+2]This thread has been created for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
    [/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]
    fVjE84q.jpg

Nexus 5X

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to thank an answer instead of posting "Thank you".

z7e6jQa.jpg

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to the Nexus 5X
    z7e6jQa.jpg

List of supporters

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read

Please look for a similar [HELP THREAD] when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a similar [Help Thread] please Click Here.
    I have tried it, but for flashing images I need to unlock the bootloader, and to unlock the bootloader I need to turn on the phone...
    Try ota images then
    https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/ota
    I don't think so they require bootloader unlocked (at least it's not written anywhere in the procedure )but they require stock recovery (which I guess you' have )
    Hi there!

Are there any cases where rooting, flashing or similar actions led to an unrecoverable device? Is it even possible that fastboot will refuse to work?

Ty in advance
    It is very unlikely that you would brick a Nexus by just rooting it.
    But even rooting involves unlocking the bootloader an flashing a custom recovery. Both are easy peesy - if done correctly.
    But you can hard brick any device by flashing the wrong software to it and I have seen it all:
    People flash a recovery meant for a different device or incompatible with the current bootloader
    They flash firmware for a different device
    they use dd commands they don't understand and found in another device forum
    they lock bootloaders while a custom recovery is installed
    ... you name the stupid thing nobody has thought of yet and it will happen sooner or later.

Unlocking you device and installing a custom recovery gives you a lot of options for great stuff, but also the option to screw up royally.
    It's all up to you. Read, read and read again, ask if unsure, flash only when you are confident you know what you're doing.

And here's some free advice:
    Installing something new is fun and exciting stuff. And that is where people invest all of their time and effort. But believe me if I tell you that things do not always work out as expected.
    And that's why you NEED TO KNOW THE WAY BACK!
    Learning how to do something is not enough! You also should know how to get back to where you are right now BEFORE YOU TOUCH ANYTHING!
    Not sexy, but very important.
    hey every one, i heard after rooting , u can't update phone normally ,is that true ? if yes is there any way to unroot and update phone again ?(like using with flashing a factory image or etc)
    Use fastboot to update each month. Instructions are linked below and you just need to flash SuperSU afterwards.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3206930