FORUMS

Possible to remove the corruption warning message after unlocking the bootloader?

3,360 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,641

By sn0warmy, Senior Member on 14th November 2015, 12:41 AM
Post Reply Email Thread

As anyone who has unlocked the bootloader on their 5X knows, this message appears at startup. I've flashed the PureNexus ROM and then the EX Kernel but neither of these removes the message. It's not a huge deal since everything is working as it's supposed to. Just not sure what can be done to remove that message.
14th November 2015, 01:03 AM |#2  
Flag On a rock with a laptop
Thanks Meter: 120

More
I believe there is nothing we can do, short of getting our hands on an engineering bootloader.
I was wrong, see post #6 below!
14th November 2015, 05:00 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 180

More
Unlocking the BL is the only way to root, right?
14th November 2015, 05:11 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Boulder, CO
Thanks Meter: 1,641

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by km8j

Unlocking the BL is the only way to root, right?

Dude...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sn0warmy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sn0warmy Ad-Free
14th November 2015, 02:57 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 180

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0warmy

Dude...

Thanks for the help

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
14th November 2015, 05:05 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by solara1973

It might be possible to replace the images with this tool:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...-tool-t3240052

Judging by the screenshots, It looks like you're right - The delay would still be there but happy to stand corrected here!
Useful note from the thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddggttff3

Just tested, and yes you can visually remove the warnings, but note flashing a custom imgdata file will cause the bootloader to boot to the red error screen instead of the yellow one, so you will want to update the images for all of the warning messages to remove it.

The Following User Says Thank You to PhoenixTank For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PhoenixTank Ad-Free
14th November 2015, 05:23 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Warning message is an Eye Sore!, my offer
That caution warning is a complete downer.... I would be willing to pay 250 dollar bounty to a deve who can either:

1. remove the warning as a stand alone solve or ,

2. force the Google screen to run in its place for that time period.

3. Packed as a zip to flashed in recovery or an img. for fastboot flash...

Think in time, as more of the phones get out in public, it will help the community who wants the unlock but not the eye sore warning...

So far my exploring has scored a big zero to solve the issue...
I'm putting it out there for whoever wants to give it a go. It will be good for the community.

Cheers, CG
14th November 2015, 07:10 PM |#9  
Flag linux command line
Thanks Meter: 870

More
I've been thinking about this, but my android-fu isn't too strong. I still need to do a bunch of research.

There are three warning messages - yellow, orange, and red. I think you get the yellow one when the bootloader is unlocked and the red one when the verity checksums do not match the actual rom (I.e., something has been modified).

I think one way would get rid of the messages would be to relock the bootloader and also update the checksums so that they do match. I might be missing something here, but the issue with locking the bootloader, is that we won't be able to flash any new recoveries. I think this can be worked around by flashing the new recovery as a zip file, not an image. My marshmallow-fu isn't great in this area, so I'm not sure what has changed recently that prevents this.

The red warning might be harder and I need to do more research into the checksum process and how the rom is verified. I suspect this has to do with the dm-verity bits.

Edit: OK, I did 20 mins of "research" - http://source.android.com/security/v....html#overview

We will get the orange warning if the bootloader is unlocked.
If the bootloader is locked, we will get the yellow warning whenever the signatures don't match the OEM key, but do match the public keys (user, not OEM) used to sign the images.
The red warning can be avoided by signing the images and including the public key.

As noted above, the images can be changed to reduce the eyesore. In a more ideal world, we would just get the yellow warning.
14th November 2015, 07:10 PM |#10  
Flag Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 497

More
I really hope one day we can get rid of that eye sore
14th November 2015, 10:40 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrt4me

2. force the Google screen to run in its place for that time period.
3. Packed as a zip to flashed in recovery or an img. for fastboot flash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu5797

I really hope one day we can get rid of that eye sore

I've made a couple of replacements that you might like to flash.
See the first post in that thread for more background information.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhoenixTank For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PhoenixTank Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)