[KERNEL][N5X] Zest Kernel reBORN 🍋 - December - Oreo & Pie

Which (if any) toolchain should I change to?

• Uber

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Saber

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Linaro

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Boosted

• Hyper

• Keep P-tagged GCC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

blizar_

Aug 28, 2010
You can use every rom including Pie - with Lineage based roms or stock.

In this regard have you a big selection, although I don't recommned anythinger higher than Oreo, in regard to BLOD and similar deficits.

I would suggest you try the kernel by LazerL0rd and the official one by Offensive for Oreo as well.
If you have any issues to get the installer ready, send me a quote and I can gladly build one and and upload it.

Best regards

Hello...unfortunately the offensive official kernel gives me problems is not installed. In the past I have had bootloop problems and solved it with the "Blood" file. When I install the official kernel Nethunter it gives me a "patch boot image" error and the kernel installation fails...only one that installs and has the "108" kernel is that of Zesty! I hope I have explained myself well...I have not tried the Lazerlord kernel!
Regards!

UsPdSr

Hello...unfortunately the offensive official kernel gives me problems is not installed. In the past I have had bootloop problems and solved it with the "Blood" file. When I install the official kernel Nethunter it gives me a "patch boot image" error and the kernel installation fails...only one that installs and has the "108" kernel is that of Zesty! I hope I have explained myself well...I have not tried the Lazerlord kernel!
Regards!

Okay.
This is well explained.

If your Nexus is prone to BLOD, then I would definitely not choose any rom higher than Oreo and you are aware that this kernel was developed with an eye on game performance, right?

Anyhow, I've had several Nexus, mainly the 6P.
The device comes with very decent specs, but in regard to the same potentially hardware failure like the bullhead, can you get one in good condition used on eBay for ~100 Euro.

The Angler got finally updated two weeks ago with great features and finally a working external wlan adapter capability under Oreo o/
It even received as only device this age a new kernel for Android 10, also.
I tried to get the kernel to work for over a year.
Until now you could solely use one for Nougat.The three attempts to get a working kernel for Oreo to release, over the last two years were unfortunately unsuccessful and full of disappointments.

Even the usability of ac adapter is finally possible, thanks to kimocoder and Re4son.

I can use the Alfa AWUS036ACH for example.
Or just to name a few of the new chipset support - for example the Realtek 8818eus, with full packet injection support.

I wish you good luck with LazerL0rd's precious kernel.

If something is not going accordingly, don't hesitate to ask.

I don't have a 5x anymore since a year or so, but am often in the old thread's, primarily Offensive's work* and with view of custom kernel with additional Mac80211 integration..

Best regards

*https://www.kali.org/news/kali-nethunter-updates/

Last edited:

UsPdSr

@blizar_

I am not sure if you follow the recent developments within the Kali Nethunter project.

Re4son, the maintainer, has pushed a new kernel for the bullhead, a few days ago.

https://github.com/Re4son/android_kernel_lge_bullhead

It is possible that for this purpose a new thread will be created..

In the meantime, did I think that you are probably interested in the newer one, so I build the kernel with Nethunter's python installer.

In addition did I build a generic installer with all the new updates/updgrades by the Nethunter team, for arm64 devices, as well.

I uploaded both onto my account and you are welcome to try them. :)

Apparently you can use the newer chipsets with AC support, like the Realtek 8812au/8814/8811au, also.

Here the link to the official nethunter kernel for the Nexus 5x

>>

https://mega.nz/file/AMolgYIY#iNwVdNkJ5AB5SobkziGghhrrKhLK4LT9q1gTN470sPM

* The missing files are being uploaded while I am writing..

The kernel is based on flar's ElementalX source.

So, you should be able to use the same rom as you would with ElementalX.

(A quick look into flar's thread reveals that the kernel is solely for stock.)

So you have to install the last Oreo release via fastboot accordingly

https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/bullhead-opm7.181205.001-factory-5f189d84.zip?hl=es

Don't forget to enable USB debugging, check your ADB & fastboot setup beforehand and of course you need a custom recovery to flash the necessary files.

https://eu.dl.twrp.me/bullhead/twrp-3.3.1-0-bullhead.img.html

Be well and best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: CLPose

blizar_

Aug 28, 2010
@blizar_

I am not sure if you follow the recent developments within the Kali Nethunter project.

Re4son, the maintainer, has pushed a new kernel for the bullhead, a few days ago.

https://github.com/Re4son/android_kernel_lge_bullhead

It is possible that for this purpose a new thread will be created..

In the meantime, did I think that you are probably interested in the newer one, so I build the kernel with Nethunter's python installer.

In addition did I build a generic installer with all the new updates/updgrades by the Nethunter team, for arm64 devices, as well.

I uploaded both onto my account and you are happy to try them. :)

Apparently you can use the newer chipsets with AC support also.

Here the link to the official kali nethunter kernel >>

https://mega.nz/file/AMolgYIY#iNwVdNkJ5AB5SobkziGghhrrKhLK4LT9q1gTN470sPM

* The rest am i uploading as I'm writing.

The kernel is based on flar's ElementalX source.

So, you should be able to use the same rom as with ElementalX.

(A quick look into flar's thread reveals that the kernel is solely for stock.)

So you have to install the last Oreo release via fastboot accordingly

https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/bullhead-opm7.181205.001-factory-5f189d84.zip?hl=es

Don't forget to enable USB debugging, check your ADB & fastboot setup and of course you need a custom recovery afterwards.

https://eu.dl.twrp.me/bullhead/twrp-3.3.1-0-bullhead.img.html

Be well and best of luck!
Hi then I tried to install the new kernel for Bullhead Reason4 but unfortunately it gives me problems during the installation phase ... error 1 "boot image failed" ... it could be because I installed N5X-6P_BLOD_Workaround_Injector_Addon-AK3-signed.zip. ..? ... the only Kernel that I can install is Zesty ... all the others give me "boot image failed" error ... probably during the installation of the Kernel check the boot image of the system and finding the patch installed from file N5X-6P_BLOD_Workaround_Injector_Addon-AK3-signed.zip by error. Probably the boot image control was selected during the compilation of the new Kernel which was not done in the Zesty Kernel. I believe, however, that everything is to be verified !. Regards

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5X utilizzando Tapatalk

UsPdSr

Hi then I tried to install the new kernel for Bullhead Reason4 but unfortunately it gives me problems during the installation phase ... error 1 "boot image failed" ... it could be because I installed N5X-6P_BLOD_Workaround_Injector_Addon-AK3-signed.zip. ..? ... the only Kernel that I can install is Zesty ... all the others give me "boot image failed" error ... probably during the installation of the Kernel check the boot image of the system and finding the patch installed from file N5X-6P_BLOD_Workaround_Injector_Addon-AK3-signed.zip by error. Probably the boot image control was selected during the compilation of the new Kernel which was not done in the Zesty Kernel. I believe, however, that everything is to be verified !. Regards

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5X utilizzando Tapatalk

Sorry to hear that.

I had problems with my first Nexus 6P as well.Although the 5x was fine until I sold it for other reasons than.

I build a new chroot installer with all the updates and new apps/layouts.

Did I post the link to the installer?

Are you satisfied with LazerL0rd's kernel so far at least..?

Last edited:

blizar_

Aug 28, 2010
Hi guys , do you know if there is an updated version of the Zesty Kernel for 5X dated 2020-21? Has the project been abandoned? Thank you!

Last edited:
usz12P2.jpg

Code:
*** Disclamer

Please behave responsibly and avoid thermonuclear war. I am
not responsible for any bricked devices, etc.
Introduction
Images
Features
Installation instructions
Download
FAQ
Special Thanks To

Code:
* @franciscofranco for his kernel base
* @Skittles9823 for LMK values

XDA:DevDB Information
Zest Kernel Projecc, Kernel for the LG Nexus 5X

Contributors
LazerL0rd
Source Code: https://gitlab.com/ZKP/bullhead

Kernel Special Features: Fastest kernel for the Nexus 5X (bullhead)

Version Information
Stable

Created 2018-03-29
Last Updated 2019-02-16
Hi greeting from 2023, i'm using aosp android 10 rom. Does this kernel supported android 10 ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    usz12P2.jpg

Code:
    *** Disclamer

Please behave responsibly and avoid thermonuclear war. I am
    not responsible for any bricked devices, etc.
    Introduction
    This is Zest Kernel. It's an optimized kernel for our device which includes a few nifty features. Built, on every security update, you'll have the best of the best. Features will be listed below and shared, to the most of my ability, across all my supported devices. This isn't just my kernel it's yours too - request any features you like and I'll try to add them in. However, I'm also busy with studies so please don't ask for dumb stuff.
    Images
    Possibly the fastest kernel for our device, here's an AnTuTu benchmark from a fellow user on BLOD (four cores only):

98LklQM.jpg
    Features
    • Built on UBERnaro toolchain
    • PaX security commits
    • DTS Android port commits
    • @franciscofranco 's battery optimizations
    • @UltraM8 's SLIMBUS modifications
    • High tickrate to avoid jitter
    • My hi-res audio backports
    • Fauxsound audio gain control
    • Kali Netunter HID and aircrack-ng support
    • Backported features for NexusPieX
    Installation instructions
    * Flash via TWRP, or Franco Kernel Manager
    * Enjoy!
    Download
    Latest is on my website, all versions available at ftp://ftp.lasterhub.me.
    FAQ
    Special Thanks To
    Code:
    * @franciscofranco for his kernel base
    * @Skittles9823 for LMK values

XDA:DevDB Information
    Zest Kernel Projecc, Kernel for the LG Nexus 5X

Contributors
    LazerL0rd
    Source Code: https://gitlab.com/ZKP/bullhead

Kernel Special Features: Fastest kernel for the Nexus 5X (bullhead)

Version Information

Created 2018-03-29
    Last Updated 2019-02-16
    New UPDATE guys!!

Download Link: https://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=29906 (also in Downloads section)

Changelog:
    Code:
    (Well this one is heavy)
    [LIST][*]New DTS Commits
    [*]SU Protection
    [*]Signed Modules
    [*]Clean Rebase
    [*]End of #DiscoLED
    [*]June Security Patches
    [*]MBHC Driver
    [*]AAudio support (for 8.1 & P)
    [*]Less Jitter (config hz 1000)
    [*]new toolchain :P[/LIST]
    Update

New update released! Zip is here and in downloads section as usual.

Changelog:
    Code:
    [LIST][*]Meltdown patches
    [*]Specture followup patch
    [*]Sony jack driver
    [*]Sequential read optimised
    [*]Memory improvements in standby
    [*]Cleaning commits[/LIST]
    First of all, it's highly important because if the rules of the GPLv2 weren't followed as written then this forum would not exist, much less this thread.

The source has to be published at an announced site before publication and you are free to read the GPLv2 rule that I linked to. I don't think that making up something to distract from the actual license rules is helpful and you are quite clearly wrong on this one, you have to publish the code before release.

The forum in and of itself is in violation of the GPLv2 copyright protections which means that a report to the FSF will eventually be inevitable. Especially since the moderators refuse to follow their own rules based on the licenses and give leniency to this kind of crap.

Some people might think that this is just silly business but in reality this is no different from publishing any other licensed code. Open Source doesn't mean "take it and don't pay it forward" but rather the exact opposite. If you don't like the license you are free to just not publish your code or not use the code of others who HAVE actually followed the licensing rules of the code.

WRONG.

Here is the official stance from GPL.

The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.

There is NO requirement for source being uploaded before or after public release. The core requirement is that the person must make his changes open source if/when requested

Yeah, you do that, you report my post for pushing on the only thing that makes this forum be at all.

If others had behaved like that this kernel wouldn't exist, the Linux kernel would be a complete joke and FLOSS would be dead in the water so no Android either.

OEMs are worst GPL offenders. And honestly Stallman doesn't consider Android Libre. A bulk on Android is licensed under Apache 2.0. Just the kernel is under GPL v2.
    An interesting titbit. iOS kernel is open source. Just that you can't install it on any device.

How hard is it to NOT delete your source code? Does it take a lot out of your daily life to NOT delete your source code?

If there is a next time, hopefully the moderators that do shut down various kernels and threads based on the rules stickied at the top of this forum might just note that all the reports to the FSF could be adding up to a point where this entire forum is shut down.

Would that amuse you?

Moderators don't go on shutting down threads just because kernel developers are a bit late. We do ensure a source and binary parity and we do provide ample time to fix the sources. However repeat offenders do get their threads closed.

Also FSF is more interested in making things open source rather than shutting things down. Shutting down things for slightest infractions is restrictive philosophy. Not really inline with what FSF does.

Your post did amuse me. Just don't make it a habit.
    New update! 50% better performance, 60% better thermal response, camera changes to 16MP (full sensor support), and experimental reviving of bootloop devices (I use a method which heats the chip very high on boot to stick the big core back on)!

Download here: https://bit.ly/2pVQ65n