Thanks Meter: 136,828

Post Reply Email Thread
7th January 2016, 05:42 PM |#121  
Flag New Jersey
Thanks Meter: 160

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtheAT

He said that he doesn't support any ROM besides stock rom and he think that custom ROM can f*** stuff up.

Interesting so I could flash the latest stock factory image, unlock bootloader, flash recovery, kernel zip, then supersu?

7th January 2016, 05:46 PM |#122  
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Iam now on elementalx, how can I install this kernel?
7th January 2016, 05:49 PM |#123  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criton30

You may be able to dirty flash the kernel over elex. You would then have to reflash systemless su.

If this causes bootloops it can be fixed by dirty flashing your rom. Then kernel then su.
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Automator For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift The_Automator Ad-Free
7th January 2016, 05:56 PM |#124  
Thanks Meter: 1,713

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.degraw54

Interesting so I could flash the latest stock factory image, unlock bootloader, flash recovery, kernel zip, then supersu?

I don't think you can flash the stock image with a locked bootloader. Reverse the first two and you're good to go. Know that unlocking the bootloader will wipe the entire device internal included. Backup everything to your computer first.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criton30

Flash your rom first then this kernel. If you're on stock then the way I do it is to fastboot system.img, boot.img then boot into system just to make sure everything is working. Reboot into bootloader, flash twrp.img and then go into recovery from bootloader without a reboot. Flash kernel, superSU reboot and done. Sounds complicated but it only takes a few minutes. If you have a rom with system root then that's another story. You'd have to unsu first from what I understand but I don't have that so I don't really know the exact process.
7th January 2016, 06:25 PM |#125  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Carcavelos

Donate to Me
More
Instructions are in the OP - just read them...
The Following User Says Thank You to franciscofranco For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th January 2016, 06:37 PM |#126  
Thanks Meter: 679

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by david.degraw54

I don't see any mention of a recommended ROM in this post

@david.degraw54 Fifth line up from the bottom, stock rom is his preference.
7th January 2016, 06:55 PM |#127  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by franciscofranco

Instructions are in the OP - just read them...

So if I'm on another kernel and want to go to this one, or if I'm on this one and want to go to another, I don't need to flash system only boot.img? That would certainly save me time if I ever want to switch around.
7th January 2016, 06:56 PM |#128  
Flag Firenze ( Florence )
Thanks Meter: 692

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby janow

I don't think you can flash the stock image with a locked bootloader. Reverse the first two and you're good to go. Know that unlocking the bootloader will wipe the entire device internal included. Backup everything to your computer first.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

Flash your rom first then this kernel. If you're on stock then the way I do it is to fastboot system.img, boot.img then boot into system just to make sure everything is working. Reboot into bootloader, flash twrp.img and then go into recovery from bootloader without a reboot. Flash kernel, superSU reboot and done. Sounds complicated but it only takes a few minutes. If you have a rom with system root then that's another story. You'd have to unsu first from what I understand but I don't have that so I don't really know the exact process.

And why he should reflash also recovery?? ElementalX use the ramdisk that come with the rom, 99% a stock one.
So for installing this kernel, the easier thing is to flash boot, kernel and then supersu..
7th January 2016, 07:06 PM |#129  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by erto90

And why he should reflash also recovery?? ElementalX use the ramdisk that come with the rom, 99% a stock one.
So for installing this kernel, the easier thing is to flash boot, kernel and then supersu..

My twrp recovery sometimes doesn't stick. I figure as long as you're in bootloader it wouldn't take much time and wouldn't hurt. I've gotten burned by stock recovery a couple of times with a force reboot. And it looks like you can skip the system.img flash according to the OP. I thought some of these kernels make modifications to the system at some level and always thought it was best practice to flash the rom (system.img in this case), boot.img, then new kernel and superSU. Maybe that's old school though.
7th January 2016, 07:36 PM |#130  
Flag Firenze ( Florence )
Thanks Meter: 692

Donate to Me
More
Understood.. But is not very clear how to install this kernel and be sure 100% of doing good..
I'm on stock but with cataclysm (mod) installed + elementalx kernel..
Elementalx use rom ramdisk so stock ramdisk, in my case..
So what I have to do ? Should I simply flash boot.img , kernel and then systemless SU?
Franco, the installation guide is a bit dispersive I think . 1-2 points are OK but the others ? Cm based rom is a NO and OK.. But in my case, what is the correct procedure ? You lacknthe point when we have to install the kernel! Or is point 3 once we figured if our rom come with system or systemless root?
Obviously mine is not a polemic, but I'm seeing some problem knowing the right procedure to install the kernel
7th January 2016, 07:37 PM |#131  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Carcavelos

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby janow

My twrp recovery sometimes doesn't stick. I figure as long as you're in bootloader it wouldn't take much time and wouldn't hurt. I've gotten burned by stock recovery a couple of times with a force reboot. And it looks like you can skip the system.img flash according to the OP. I thought some of these kernels make modifications to the system at some level and always thought it was best practice to flash the rom (system.img in this case), boot.img, then new kernel and superSU. Maybe that's old school though.

There's no need to flash system.img, otherwise it would be written in the OP.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)