Thanks Meter: 137,737

Post Reply Email Thread
23rd February 2017, 01:11 PM |#2491  
Flag ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΗ
Thanks Meter: 317

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkelly517

Dirty flash your ROM. Go with the stock kernel.

All your problems with Franco will be a thing of the past.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Thanks for advice. I dirty flashed the ROM... And reflashed the FK. It's quite fast now ... I don't want to reflash stock LOS stock kernel because its drains battery with regular use.... like a cup of coffee... FK on my device is battery efficient!
23rd February 2017, 01:37 PM |#2492  
Thanks Meter: 68

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktheprofessor

Still wrong, Antutu is a benchmark, not "user experience" and you wouldn't be able to clock the speed difference by using a stop watch since it's so small that the time it takes for you to react is longer than the time difference between the two file systems.

But if you "feel" that it's faster then great, use f2fs.

this is my post couple pages ago, user experience is greatly enchanced by f2fs. i dont know about load times, i only bothered with f2fs cause ext4 was not smotth no matter what kernel, governor, etc i used. i dont get your comments about reliability either, never heard anyone experience such issue, so what you say sounds completely theoretical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgos Chatziioannou

sorry to budge in, but try viber and scrolling through the stickers with and without f2fs, same deal with browsing in chrome (and i imagine the rest of browsers). tried f2fs in jolla kernel and the difference is easy to notice, so while i have no idea about the code in android, f2fs is an upgrade in my eyes

23rd February 2017, 03:50 PM |#2493  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Carcavelos

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

this is my post couple pages ago, user experience is greatly enchanced by f2fs. i dont know about load times, i only bothered with f2fs cause ext4 was not smotth no matter what kernel, governor, etc i used. i dont get your comments about reliability either, never heard anyone experience such issue, so what you say sounds completely theoretical

He's 100% right about reliability. ext2 has been around for 10k years, ext3 too, ext4 is the natural evolution and has been deployed into all sorts of machines all around the world for decades, it's maintained by VERY and I mean VERY smart people. It's been patched to death. It's probably the most reliable FS in the world at this point.

F2FS is very new and it's not battle tested. Even if you don't "see" the issues, F2FS will probably have more bugs than you can count, and it's certainly not deployed in servers (which are the definition of needing reliability to function).
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to franciscofranco For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2017, 04:25 PM |#2494  
Flag Suceava
Thanks Meter: 3,733

Donate to Me
More
@franciscofranco
Hi!
Sorry for the off topic, I started kernel development a few months ago for a similar device to the Nexus 5x(same SoC) and since I fixed various bugs included in the source released by the manufacturer, it's been getting some traction, and I've got a ROM maintainer to use it. Users reported that battery life is a bit worse since the ROM changed to my kernel, which I also noticed, but I don't really know what causes it or how to improve battery life. The only thing I did differently than the older kernel is that I haven't updated the CAF sources from which I started to the latest 3.10.y. Could this be the problem?
Sorry for he off-topic again, but I didn't have any other means of contacting you.

Please take a look and tell me if merging linux-stable(or should I merge kernel_common?) is worth it and if there is anything I could do to further improve the battery.

Thanks!
Source: https://github.com/Demon000/kernel_xiaomi_libra
23rd February 2017, 05:16 PM |#2495  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Carcavelos

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozzmy13

@franciscofranco
Hi!
Sorry for the off topic, I started kernel development a few months ago for a similar device to the Nexus 5x(same SoC) and since I fixed various bugs included in the source released by the manufacturer, it's been getting some traction, and I've got a ROM maintainer to use it. Users reported that battery life is a bit worse since the ROM changed to my kernel, which I also noticed, but I don't really know what causes it or how to improve battery life. The only thing I did differently than the older kernel is that I haven't updated the CAF sources from which I started to the latest 3.10.y. Could this be the problem?
Sorry for he off-topic again, but I didn't have any other means of contacting you.

Please take a look and tell me if merging linux-stable(or should I merge kernel_common?) is worth it and if there is anything I could do to further improve the battery.

Thanks!
Source: https://github.com/Demon000/kernel_xiaomi_libra

That's nearly impossible for me to say. Commits seem ok. There's so much that affect battery life... you need some numbers under some form of controlled environment with stock Kernel vs yours, otherwise you can't even start to figure out what might be. My bet is always apps ****ing battery life, or signal strength, but I can't guess. What you're asking is for me to find a special grain of sand in a beach.
23rd February 2017, 06:17 PM |#2496  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Carcavelos

Donate to Me
More
New Franco Kernel version for the Nexus 5X

r35
1. Offload a lot of background daemons to the system-background group, which only allows them to run on cpus 0, 1 and 2, freeing all other cores, specially the big cluster. This will reduce needlessly cpu wake-ups from idle, and largely reduce processing power requirements from cpu 3, 4, and 5 (4 and 5 are part of the big cluster, which uses a lot of energy)
2. Lower power consumption from the big cluster by lowering the occurence of sample rate which'll in turn make the big cluster cpus less nervous and say in lower frequencies more often. In contrast little cluster is a little more forgiving and scales up a little easily. Since the little cluster uses 4 times less power, this is just fine
3. Tweaked Performance Profiles, Power-saving now turns off the big cluster to save precious power, but the little cluster will be boosted for longer during input touch events

zip: https://kernels.franco-lnx.net/Nexus...anykernel2.zip

Franco Kernel Manager & Updater is the best companion for this Kernel (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....franco.kernel)

If you don't (yet) have my full featured app you can always just download its free counter part which lets you seamlessly and automagically update Franco Kernel on your device. It's free and my cat approves! (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...co.kernel.free)

I also strongly suggest you install Naptime (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.franco.doze), for free, to achieve the best battery life through out the day. Try it, you won't be disappointed!
The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to franciscofranco For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2017, 06:23 PM |#2497  
Flag Belfast
Thanks Meter: 354

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by franciscofranco

r35
1. Offload a lot of background daemons to the system-background group, which only allows them to run on cpus 0, 1 and 2, freeing all other cores, specially the big cluster. This will reduce needlessly cpu wake-ups from idle, and largely reduce processing power requirements from cpu 3, 4, and 5 (4 and 5 are part of the big cluster, which uses a lot of energy)
2. Lower power consumption from the big cluster by lowering the occurence of sample rate which'll in turn make the big cluster cpus less nervous and say in lower frequencies more often. In contrast little cluster is a little more forgiving and scales up a little easily. Since the little cluster uses 4 times less power, this is just fine
3. Tweaked Performance Profiles, Power-saving now turns off the big cluster to save precious power, but the little cluster will be boosted for longer during input touch events

Franco Kernel Manager & Updater is the best companion for this Kernel (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...franco.kernel)

If you don't (yet) have my full featured app you can always just download its free counter part which lets you seamlessly and automagically update Franco Kernel on your device. It's free and my cat approves! (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...o.kernel.free)

I also strongly suggest you install Naptime (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....franco.doze), for free, to achieve the best battery life through out the day. Try it, you won't be disappointed!

Sweet, cheers dude!
23rd February 2017, 08:05 PM |#2498  
Flag ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΗ
Thanks Meter: 317

More
Quote:

r35

Franco Kernel Manager & Updater is the best companion for this Kernel (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...franco.kernel)

If you don't (yet) have my full featured app you can always just download its free counter part which lets you seamlessly and automagically update Franco Kernel on your device. It's free and my cat approves! (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...o.kernel.free)

I also strongly suggest you install Naptime (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....franco.doze), for free, to achieve the best battery life through out the day. Try it, you won't be disappointed!

Nice! Thanks!
GuestK00141
23rd February 2017, 08:47 PM |#2499  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks a lot for your update and thank you for listening me and add tweak to put off Big cores when power save mode is activated!

Sent from my LG Nexus 5X using XDA Labs

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Il tested "new power save mode" and Big cores don't turn off, what I need to do?
I flashed properly your last kernel version and activate power save mode in your app.

23rd February 2017, 09:07 PM |#2500  
Thanks Meter: 68

More
Quote:

He's 100% right about reliability. ext2 has been around for 10k years, ext3 too, ext4 is the natural evolution and has been deployed into all sorts of machines all around the world for decades, it's maintained by VERY and I mean VERY smart people. It's been patched to death. It's probably the most reliable FS in the world at this point.

F2FS is very new and it's not battle tested. Even if you don't "see" the issues, F2FS will probably have more bugs than you can count, and it's certainly not deployed in servers (which are the definition of needing reliability to function).

ye, but this is a phone not a server
also, bugs that dont brick or slow the phone or dont cause jerky acts are essentially not bugs for normal users

i should had express myself better, but when i said theoretical i meant it only matters for people involved in development, as the rest people will only see gains with f2fs

and cheers for the new update
24th February 2017, 12:07 AM |#2501  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Carcavelos

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by francos21

Thanks a lot for your update and thank you for listening me and add tweak to put off Big cores when power save mode is activated!

---------- Post added at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Il tested "new power save mode" and Big cores don't turn off, what I need to do?
I flashed properly your last kernel version and activate power save mode in your app.

I don't know what app you're using to check it, but cpu4 and cpu5 go offline just fine.

Quote:

ye, but this is a phone not a server
also, bugs that dont brick or slow the phone or dont cause jerky acts are essentially not bugs for normal users

i should had express myself better, but when i said theoretical i meant it only matters for people involved in development, as the rest people will only see gains with f2fs

and cheers for the new update

That's not how any of this works...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to franciscofranco For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)