Still exercise caution when applying Layers.
Do not attempt this unless your are prepared to do a factory reset or reflash a boot.img in a worst case scenario.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
- Root: LINK
- BusyBox: LINK (Optional but recommended for future use).
- Root file explorer.
- Layers themes: LINK
- Layers showcase: LINK
- To filter themes:
- Select hamburger menu in the upper left.
- Choose free/paid layers.
- Click menu in upper right.
- Select "Android Version" and pick "M".
THE THEMES MUST BE COMPATIBLE WITH MARSHMALLOW TO RESTRICT PROBLEMS.
- Gain root.
- Install BusyBox open the app and click "Install" (see screenshot below).
- Use a root file explorer (I use root explorer) to create a folder named "overlay" in "system/vendor" and set its permissions to 775 (see screenshot below).
- Download theme/s. TIP do this through your browser to view the package name in the address bar as it will make things easier on the next step.
- Using the file explorer navigate to "data/app" and locate the theme you installed.
- Inside the folder you will find an apk named "base.apk", copy the apk to your sdcard.
- Click the apk and select "view"
- Navigate to "assets>Files" and extract the zip/s.
- Extract the apks from the extracted zip and copy the desired overlays to the overlay folder we created earlier.
Until we can view the vendor folder from recovery, here is how to fix a troublesome layer.
- Navigate to the overlay folder and delete the layer/s that is causing the issue.
- As a last resort, If you cannot gain access to the overlay folder we need to do a factory reset or reflash the boot.img.