FORUMS

[GUIDE]How to theme your 5x using RRO- NO LONGER RELEVANT

2,845 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,415

By dully79, Senior Member on 24th October 2015, 04:38 PM
Thread Closed Email Thread
Layers Manager now supports the 5x making this thread redundant. You can find the beta here:
https://plus.google.com/117376207394...ts/P5Z41eL57bz

Still exercise caution when applying Layers.

Here is a small guide on theming your device using the built in "theme engine" a.k.a. "RRO" until it's properly supported with Layers Manager.

Do not attempt this unless your are prepared to do a factory reset or reflash a boot.img in a worst case scenario.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Requirements.
  • Root: LINK
  • BusyBox: LINK (Optional but recommended for future use).
  • Root file explorer.
  • Layers themes: LINK
  • Layers showcase: LINK
    1. To filter themes:
    2. Select hamburger menu in the upper left.
    3. Choose free/paid layers.
    4. Click menu in upper right.
    5. Select "Android Version" and pick "M".
Quote:

PLEASE NOTE.
THE THEMES MUST BE COMPATIBLE WITH MARSHMALLOW TO RESTRICT PROBLEMS.

Steps.
  1. Gain root.
  2. Install BusyBox open the app and click "Install" (see screenshot below).
  3. Use a root file explorer (I use root explorer) to create a folder named "overlay" in "system/vendor" and set its permissions to 775 (see screenshot below).
  4. Download theme/s. TIP do this through your browser to view the package name in the address bar as it will make things easier on the next step.
    example:
    Code:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dully79.graphite&hl=en
  5. Using the file explorer navigate to "data/app" and locate the theme you installed.
  6. Inside the folder you will find an apk named "base.apk", copy the apk to your sdcard.
  7. Click the apk and select "view"
  8. Navigate to "assets>Files" and extract the zip/s.
  9. Extract the apks from the extracted zip and copy the desired overlays to the overlay folder we created earlier.
  10. Reboot.
PLEASE NOTE. THE FRAMEWORK LAYER IN GRAPHITE IS UNSUPPORTED AT THIS TIME. DO NOT USE IT.

Problems?.
Until we can view the vendor folder from recovery, here is how to fix a troublesome layer.
  • Navigate to the overlay folder and delete the layer/s that is causing the issue.
  • As a last resort, If you cannot gain access to the overlay folder we need to do a factory reset or reflash the boot.img.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dully79 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dully79 Ad-Free
24th October 2015, 04:55 PM |#2  
Flag Calgary
Thanks Meter: 301

More
Yay! Thank you sir.
The Following User Says Thank You to k.s.deviate For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift k.s.deviate Ad-Free
24th October 2015, 07:14 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Whoa so this is actually the first time I've ever heard of layers or RRO. This is a gamechanger. So a theme like this(https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lorwhite&hl=en) would work? Can you combine themes? One that changes navigation bar and one that changes colors in the system?
24th October 2015, 07:29 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
res/drawable

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikezer1337

Whoa so this is actually the first time I've ever heard of layers or RRO. This is a gamechanger. So a theme like this(https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lorwhite&hl=en) would work? Can you combine themes? One that changes navigation bar and one that changes colors in the system?

Yes, depending on the priority of the layers we are able to stack them. If you have layer (A) that changes the status bar with priority 60, and another layer (B) that changes the same resources with a higher priority, layer B will override A.
But do your self a favour and dont apply anything that isnt officially marshmallow supported.
If you get yourself into problems you may have to factory reset, ive had to do 3 times today testing my theme.
Once we can get into the overlay folder from recovery, troublesome layers wont be a problem.
24th October 2015, 07:35 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dully79

Yes, depending on the priority of the layers we are able to stack them. If you have layer (A) that changes the status bar with priority 60, and another layer (B) that changes the same resources with a higher priority, layer B will override A.
But do your self a favour and dont apply anything that isnt officially marshmallow supported.
If you get yourself into problems you may have to factory reset, ive had to do 3 times today testing my theme.
Once we can get into the overlay folder from recovery, troublesome layers wont be a problem.

Thanks for the response! Have you found any themes that support 6.0 yet?
I downloaded the layers manager app and it says it supports marshmellow already.
24th October 2015, 07:40 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
res/drawable

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks for the response! Have you found any themes that support 6.0 yet?
I downloaded the layers manager app and it says it supports marshmellow already.

Layers manager does support 6.0 on most devices, just not this hence the steps to extract.
We need to wait for an update.
If you download the Layers showcase app you can filter themes that are compatible with 6.0:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...showcase&hl=en
24th October 2015, 07:59 PM |#7  

More
Ehh having trouble getting any theme to work. I'll wait a bit until the app is updated
24th October 2015, 08:00 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
res/drawable

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Ehh having trouble getting any theme to work. I'll wait a bit until the app is updated

What are your EXACT steps?
24th October 2015, 08:09 PM |#9  

More
Quote:

What are your EXACT steps?

So I downloaded and installed busybox. I then used three different themes that were compatible with 6.0. I used root browser to create a folder in system/vendor called "overlay" The downloaded themes I downloaded from Google Play are in Data/app. I took the apk and clicked it and hit view. Then I went into assets and took the zip folder and extracted it. I took all the apks and put them into the overlay folder. Then I rebooted and nothing happened. I tried timberwolf, skywolf, and inversion UI.
24th October 2015, 08:16 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
res/drawable

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

So I downloaded and installed busybox. I then used three different themes that were compatible with 6.0. I used root browser to create a folder in system/vendor called "overlay" The downloaded themes I downloaded from Google Play are in Data/app. I took the apk and clicked it and hit view. Then I went into assets and took the zip folder and extracted it. I took all the apks and put them into the overlay folder. Then I rebooted and nothing happened. I tried timberwolf, skywolf, and inversion UI.

Did you set the priority for the overlay folder at 775?
24th October 2015, 08:36 PM |#11  

More
Quote:

Did you set the priority for the overlay folder at 775?

Yup!

Would you mind trying any of those themes to see if you were able to get them working?

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Nice, got it working. Turns out I wasnt setting the permissions of the apks. Thanks for the help! Do you know any compatible themes for the navigation bar
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread