Nexus 6 "Project Black Frame"/ DEANODIZED/*FINISHED"POLISHED"*

Search This thread

thachoosenstar

Sep 28, 2008
NEW JERSEY
PROJECT SCRAPPED
Was fun while it lasted but the paint didn't stick correctly as I hoped, instead I have Deanodized it and removed all color (blue) completely. It is now all bare silver aluminum and looking great! Pictures and instructions of finished product below
HOW TO:
All you need is a bucket, a bottle of grease lightning (home depot) and a little patience
1. Dissasemble unit to bare frame
2.Remove outer camera lens, headphone jack and top speaker ( all pop right out of frame)
3.lastly remove the vol/power buttons( held in by a t3 torx screw)
4.Pour the Liquid into the bucket enough to cover the entire frame
5.submerge frame for 5 mins at a time to make sure you don't over due it
6.after about 10 mins you will start to see the color coming right off!!i used a sponge and washed the frame in the liquid to speed up the process
About 30 mins in and near complete!! The frame should be completely silver( bare aluminum) and you are done!( buff/polish for extra shine)
7.Wash frame with warm soapy water
8.blow dry or hold over stove until completly dry
9.reassemble
DONE!!
POST #23 HAS PICTURES OF THE FINISHED "PROJECT DEANODIZE"
POST #28 HAS PICTURES OF THE FINISHED "POLISHED" PROJECT...THANKS FOR LOOKING!!

Hey guys
In short i HATED the color of my Nexus 6 frame (blue) so i did something about it

Tools needed:
1 can of self etching primer
1 can of Duplicolor Aluminum wheel paint (pick your color)
1 can of Matte Clear coat (Clear coat)
300 grit sand paper
T3 Torx screwdriver(alot of small screws that attach frame to screen)

Steps:
1. Pull battery cover from frame (a nail will work with a little added pressure)
Or just heat it up and the adhesive will let up
2. Disconnect the power/volume buttons ribbon on left( flip little white plastic piece up and pull ribbon out
3. Start unscrewing EVERYTHING
4. Pull frame from screen/body
5. Disconnect battery(port bottom right, small flat head will lift it right out)
6. Now that the frame is free...START SANDING, wash and dry after
7. Mask off the interior of frame as it still has ports that you might not wanna get paint on
I used a piece of construction paper and just traced the battery cover and cut it down to fit
8. Prime frame
9. FOLLOW THE CAN INSTRUCTIONS!!!
10. Let dry, apply 1-2 more coats or as you feel desirable
11. After about an hour or 2 SEAL IT (Clear coat/matte coat)
12. Let it sit and work its magic for about 4 hours
13. Put that ***** back together in reverse!!!!
VOILA!!! YOU NOW HAVE A NEW FRAME COLOR...YOUR WELCOME

Attachments

• IMG_20141226_183642.jpg
    IMG_20141226_183642.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 17,151
  • IMG_20141226_183618.jpg
    IMG_20141226_183618.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 17,088
  • IMG_20141226_183600.jpg
    IMG_20141226_183600.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 16,257
  • DSCN1213.jpg
    DSCN1213.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 15,114
  • DSCN1209.jpg
    DSCN1209.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 15,229
  • DSCN1203.jpg
    DSCN1203.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 15,778
  • DSCN1215.jpg
    DSCN1215.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 15,249
  • DSCN1211.jpg
    DSCN1211.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 15,359
Last edited:

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Looks great, however if you are putting in all of that effort to take it apart why not Anodize it in the color of your choosing? It's not that hard to do once you have just the frame.

thachoosenstar

Sep 28, 2008
NEW JERSEY
I initially wanted to powder coat it but Once its down to the frame, there are still connecting points for components and the battery, its not fully a raw frame and i wouldt dare put it in any liquids or ect

Reactions: duttyend

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
I initially wanted to powder coat it but Once its down to the frame, there are still connecting points for components and the battery, its not fully a raw frame and i wouldt dare put it in any liquids or ect

I wasn't sure how bare it was, that's too bad because a nice powder coat would look badass on it.

Last edited:

sabbotage

Dec 15, 2010
Kudos to you sir for doing this! Looks great, but I must say you are very brave ripping apart a 600+ dollar phone :)

Reactions: LeoRex

thachoosenstar

Sep 28, 2008
NEW JERSEY
Kudos to you sir for doing this! Looks great, but I must say you are very brave ripping apart a 600+ dollar phone :)
Trust me I was extremely hesitant at first and my wife told me not to do it also...so naturally I said **** it! Lol took the leap and I don't regret it, it looks great and feels great in hand, just waiting for my white dbrand for the battery cover

stumpy352

Sep 20, 2011
Hey guys
In short i HATED the color of my Nexus 6 frame (blue) so i did something about it

Tools needed:
1 can of primer (optional/not necessary as frame is already painted)
300 grit sand paper

Steps:
1. Pull battery cover from frame (a nail will work with a little added pressure)
2. Disconnect the power/volume buttons ribbon on left( flip little white plastic piece up and pull ribbon out
5. Disconnect battery(port bottom right, small flat head will lift it right out)
7. Mask off the interior of fram as it still has ports that you might not wanna get paint on
I used a piece of construction paper and just traced the battery cover and cut it down to fit
8. Prime frame(optional)

So.... No reassembled photos?

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
Idk, my guess is in a few month's you will have the paint rubbing off. Its not the same as a factory finish.

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Idk, my guess is in a few month's you will have the paint rubbing off. Its not the same as a factory finish.

It depends on the type of paint used. The frame is anodized from the looks of it from the factory. If its not a hard anodization then its not that scratch proof. Mine has a tiny mark by the sim slot front inserting my sim. I wish they used something better like a Type III hard anodized costing. I can't even see the tiny dot (size of a pin tip) without looking carefully because it's next to the sim slot.

I think this is promising if it lasts.

thachoosenstar

Sep 28, 2008
NEW JERSEY
I scrapped this project guys...it was a great finish to it and it felt great also but the paint didn't sit as well as I hoped. So instead I've started over and "Deanodized" it. No more ugly blue just solid silver aluminum and it looks great!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PROJECT SCRAPPED
    Was fun while it lasted but the paint didn't stick correctly as I hoped, instead I have Deanodized it and removed all color (blue) completely. It is now all bare silver aluminum and looking great! Pictures and instructions of finished product below
    HOW TO:
    All you need is a bucket, a bottle of grease lightning (home depot) and a little patience
    1. Dissasemble unit to bare frame
    2.Remove outer camera lens, headphone jack and top speaker ( all pop right out of frame)
    3.lastly remove the vol/power buttons( held in by a t3 torx screw)
    4.Pour the Liquid into the bucket enough to cover the entire frame
    5.submerge frame for 5 mins at a time to make sure you don't over due it
    6.after about 10 mins you will start to see the color coming right off!!i used a sponge and washed the frame in the liquid to speed up the process
    About 30 mins in and near complete!! The frame should be completely silver( bare aluminum) and you are done!( buff/polish for extra shine)
    7.Wash frame with warm soapy water
    8.blow dry or hold over stove until completly dry
    9.reassemble
    DONE!!
    POST #23 HAS PICTURES OF THE FINISHED "PROJECT DEANODIZE"
    POST #28 HAS PICTURES OF THE FINISHED "POLISHED" PROJECT...THANKS FOR LOOKING!!

Hey guys

Tools needed:
    1 can of self etching primer
    300 grit sand paper

Steps:
    7. Mask off the interior of frame as it still has ports that you might not wanna get paint on
    8. Prime frame
    Interesting project.

In America over where you guys are. People use a product called Aluminium Black to touch up the exposed and worn down areas of their guns.
    I have used this stuff on my Black HTC one M7 and also on a metal PC tower case.
    It works by darkening the aluminium via the oxidation process.

I am not sure how effective this will be on the middle frame of the N6. However it probably is a far wiser choice than attempting to change the colour of the frame using any kind of paint.

P.S The polished frame looks stunning.
    Good job OP
    Hey guys, so I took the project a step further, I polished the top and the bottom and its shine is awesome!! Resembling the nexus and moto symbols on the back. This is my final mod and until I get my white battery cover I can finally say I am 100% satisfied with my phone!!! I encourage you all to do as "one plus" suggests and "Never Settle"!! If you don't like it, then Taylor it to " You"...be different and think outside the box
    Here are better quality photos of it deanodized and put together