Assertive display, improve adaptive brightness and battery life

Search This thread

jerico123

Aug 5, 2017
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Anyone who wants to try this and is using Magisk, I created a Module. If it gets traction I'll submit it to the Magisk repository. For now you can just download the attached zip and install using the Modules tab in Magisk Manager.

NOTE: This requires Magisk 14.2 (beta) or newer, available at: https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/beta-magisk-v13-0-0980cb6-t3618589

I mostly did this to experiment with Magisk, so far I don't notice any difference with my Nexus 6 running OmniROM 7.1.2.

Source code is here: https://github.com/TonyApuzzo/assertive-display

Module works for my nexus 6.. adaptive brightness changes instantly when in sunlight

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA Labs

Reactions: duttyend

hallowinx

Aug 10, 2010
Bogotá
Works

Great Job

41398342_275780913038812_2558627488422952960_n.jpg

41442375_275780976372139_1147988476969353216_n.jpg

Feb 21, 2017
Sortve off topic but I've been having issues with my n6 lagging and stuttering during matches of Madden. Framerate would drop to 10 or 12 and it was horrid. I've been tuning things with KA such as the CPU, GPU, voltages, and thermal options with varying degrees of success. I've been basically stuck because no matter how I'd set the CPUs, eventually the heat would throttle the CPU down. I'd imagine I could've went low enough for that not to happen but can't imagine Madden running well. In the midst of all this, I noticed my screen would get very warm or sortve hot. Today, I got the clever idea of lowering the resolution of my N6. I found the info I needed and lowered the resolution to 1080p from 1440p or something like that. Screen hasn't got hot and game has ran better thus far. Havent even started tuning again with KA but results thus far have been phenomenal. I can hardly tell a difference visually. Theoretically, this should help the GPU, battery, and overall performance.

pinakini

Sortve off topic but I've been having issues with my n6 lagging and stuttering during matches of Madden. Framerate would drop to 10 or 12 and it was horrid. I've been tuning things with KA such as the CPU, GPU, voltages, and thermal options with varying degrees of success. I've been basically stuck because no matter how I'd set the CPUs, eventually the heat would throttle the CPU down. I'd imagine I could've went low enough for that not to happen but can't imagine Madden running well. In the midst of all this, I noticed my screen would get very warm or sortve hot. Today, I got the clever idea of lowering the resolution of my N6. I found the info I needed and lowered the resolution to 1080p from 1440p or something like that. Screen hasn't got hot and game has ran better thus far. Havent even started tuning again with KA but results thus far have been phenomenal. I can hardly tell a difference visually. Theoretically, this should help the GPU, battery, and overall performance.
How did you do that? Is it safe?

Feb 21, 2017
Let me see if I can find the instructions I used. As far as safety, my device is a N6...hard to screw up in an unfixable manner :)

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

https://nexus5.gadgethacks.com/how-...xus-6-by-lowering-display-resolution-0159881/

That's what I used. Pretty easy and still working well. Gaming has improved dramatically

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

How did you do that? Is it safe?

Just realized I should've quoted you in my last post so that you would be notified of a response :)

Last edited:

mahmmoud1231

Jun 7, 2016
Hi guys I want to ask if my phone doesn't have adaptive brightness option does the mode add it??
Thank you for your time

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello i extracted this tweaks from xperia z3 ROM and it seems to be working,I went from 5 hours Sot to 6+ hours Sot add them to bottom of build.prop, and put the file in system/etc with 644 permission then reboot

# Assertive Display
    ro.qcom.ad=1
    ro.qcom.ad.calib.data=/system/etc/ad_calib.cfg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6bevwk4awi38w2/ad_calib.cfg?dl=0

thanks to berndt_toast we have a flashable zip!

use adaptive brightness to get maximum potential battery save!
    Lot of people tried this mod and told me that adaptive brightness works better and faster with assertive display, also in direct sunlight display is more visible
    Hello i extracted this tweaks from xperia z3 ROM and it seems to be working,I went from 5 hours Sot to 6+ hours Sot add them to bottom of build.prop, and put the file in system/etc with 644 permission then reboot

# Assertive Display
    ro.qcom.ad=1

# Modem power save enabled
    persist.radio.add_power_save=1

# Limit Modem signaling to save power
    persist.radio.data_no_toggle=1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6bevwk4awi38w2/ad_calib.cfg?dl=0

Add in the first post. Install through recovery. The script itself will prescribe the appropriate lines in the build.prop and set ad_calib.cfg
    Attached is a modified zip with only the Assertive Display build.prop change.
    # Assertive Display
    ro.qcom.ad=1

# Modem power save enabled
    persist.radio.add_power_save=1

# Limit Modem signaling to save power
    persist.radio.data_no_toggle=1

These tweaks spawned some questions. Like everything else in life, nothing is free. Performance/responsiveness are usually opposing features to battery life. By enabling modem power save and limit modem signaling, are we reducing cellular performance? In other words, in good/stable coverage areas, maybe things will work fine, but in a fringe area, might these tweaks cause the phone to lose signal more often? For Project Fi users, where the phone is supposed to monitor service quality and switch to an alternative carrier, might these tweaks throw a wrench into the logic?

On the Assertive Display, I found the following:
    http://www.apical.co.uk/assertive/display/

It would appear that Nokia, Samsung and [maybe] Sony all have some models that use this technology, but I cannot find any evidence that Motorola/N6 uses Assertive Display. This means that this mod may have no effect on the N6.

There is currently no ad_calib.cfg file in system/etc, which suggests that this feature, if exists, was not implemented. If the values inside the .cfg file can reduce the brightness (thereby saving power) and improve contrast, why wouldn't Moto/Google implement it by default?

All of the above is conjecture. I am interested in understanding the implications of the modem power tweaks--what am I giving up?

I am appreciative of OP sharing this information. We NEED people finding ways to improve battery life and sharing them with the community. At the same time, I want to know to a greater depth what I am doing to my phone.
    is it only for qualcomm devices?
    Yes! Only Qualcomm...
    Is it possible to make it work properly with newer version on n6? If so can you provide a guide or files to do so?

Sure.

Since Sony use 1080p non Amoled Screens there is a big diffrence in Config.
    One of them is the resolution. It's set Default to 720/1080p but We need 1440p.

There are a lot of other things that need to be changed in order to take a effect on Amoled Screens. But i can't remeber Now... So i've Uploaded my AD Config file in Version 1.3 for You guys. There are some really big changes between V1 and V1.3 thanks to Sony, APICAL and Qualcomm!

You can Play with the Values in the Config to get diffrent results. But Test by Yourself.
    In my Opinion should things like that always included in any Android ROM for Qualcomm devices. But people doesn't care or know about things like that. Thats really a shame... There are a lot of Awesome Qualcomm only Tweaks out there!

Here is just a Link to my AD Config in V1.3. You should replace it with the one from the first Post: https://goo.gl/qpR6kc

BR and Enjoy:highfive:

Edit: if you have problems with this config in your ROM just change your ROM or disbale one of the best Parts by making this:
    # power_saving_coeff
    # power_saving_coeff

Edit2: Btw. Qualcomm Tweaks. If there is any interrest, i can share more Qualcomm specific Tweaks that You don't have ever Seen...
    It's just Awesome! Qualcomm Snapdragon! FTW!