FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Guide to disable Google play services "internal" services.

1,668 posts
Thanks Meter: 470

By stas333, Senior Member on 11th January 2015, 05:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Bringing my experiences from G3 to Nexus 6.

With the mods to Google play services on my G3 I was able to increase my battery longevity by a significant amount. This thread is to guide and discuss as to which "services" could be disabled inside the Google play services app using "3Ctoolbox". Disabling certain services prevents Ggoogle play service from running in the background, thus, saving battery.

As a reminder, some of the services can still run after disabling them and even cause a large amount of wakelocks. To solve this, please disable the corresponding tasks in Activities, Providers, and Receivers. For example: disabling update.SystemUpdateService in the Services tab will not disable the service completely, so you must navigate to Receivers tab and disable everything that is related to it there.

Lastly, think ahead while disabling services. If you play games and use "games" app to sync them, then you should not disable anything that deals with games. Same applies to other services.

Update 5/30/15: Google play services version 7.5... here is the list of what services can be safely disabled. Perform at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damages.

The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to stas333 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stas333 Ad-Free
11th January 2015, 06:17 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
If you're going to create a thread to discuss what changes can be made that are helpful and not harmful and have made such changes, would you mind discussing the changes you made in the thread you made for that purpose?

It's not quite a disabling of a service but all I've done with play services is disable location, keep awake, and wake up through app ops. No downsides that I've noticed yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to aewig For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aewig Ad-Free
11th January 2015, 06:56 PM |#3  
Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 26,395

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewig

If you're going to create a thread to discuss what changes can be made that are helpful and not harmful and have made such changes, would you mind discussing the changes you made in the thread you made for that purpose?

It's not quite a disabling of a service but all I've done with play services is disable location, keep awake, and wake up through app ops. No downsides that I've noticed yet.

well, if you are a ok google user, then there are downsides. if you disable location services, you wont get any info like "traffic home" or "traffic to work"(for example). if you dont use ok google, then disabling locations wont affect you to much.
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift simms22 Ad-Free
11th January 2015, 07:02 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewig

The services that I have disabled are such things as ads, report services, and wearable services. There are other also, but I want to wait a few days before posting the final list so that other users don't have issues.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stas333 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stas333 Ad-Free
12th January 2015, 02:23 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
List posted
12th January 2015, 04:01 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Have you noticed any gains in battery performance?
12th January 2015, 04:31 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabravo

Have you noticed any gains in battery performance?

I didn't notice any. It could help by lowering the amount of RAM that is being used, but i think this would be in very extreme cases where all the RAM is used. With the way the phone is made, it has more than enough performance in stock form. Disabling services is primarily for battery longevity.
17th January 2015, 06:03 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
updated with more disabled services
19th January 2015, 10:44 AM |#9  
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 153

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stas333

updated with more disabled services

Great thread. Thanks.

In my experience, you can disable GeofenceProviderService to.
21st January 2015, 06:56 AM |#10  
Flag Jakarta
Thanks Meter: 56

Donate to Me
More
I got a lot of copresGcore_EventLoop wakelocks after used your setting
thankfully this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...ating-t2896526 solved my problem

Using LG G3 with ROM CloudyG3 2.1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haris182 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift haris182 Ad-Free
21st January 2015, 07:44 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by haris182

I got a lot of copresGcore_EventLoop wakelocks after used your setting
thankfully this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...ating-t2896526 solved my problem

Using LG G3 with ROM CloudyG3 2.1

This wake lock is not on any of my lists. Looking at your signature, you are modding your lg g3. I'm pretty sure I had a similar post in the lg g3 forums when I had that phone.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)