FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nexus 6/9 might be better at voice recognition than Moto X

162 posts
Thanks Meter: 26

By ra990, Senior Member on 28th October 2014, 03:30 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
"The Moto X introduced the world to always-on voice commands, even when the screen is off. In Lollipop, it is now a built-in feature that's available to any manufacturer. To save battery, the Moto X used a special low power chip to do the hotword detection, which is something the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 have included too. Burke pegged the Nexus 6's hotword processor as a "Ti C55," the same chip the Moto X uses.
Google's method skips the clunky middle man "hack" that was used in the Moto X, which used one program for the hotword detection and another (Google Search) for the actual command recognition. The Lollipop version uses Google Search for everything, resulting in much faster and less failure-prone voice recognition."

More from the article here: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...e-upcoming-os/
The Following User Says Thank You to ra990 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ra990 Ad-Free

28th October 2014, 10:07 AM |#2  
Flag Far East
Thanks Meter: 604

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra990

"The Moto X introduced the world to always-on voice commands, even when the screen is off. In Lollipop, it is now a built-in feature that's available to any manufacturer. To save battery, the Moto X used a special low power chip to do the hotword detection, which is something the Nexus 6 and Nexus 9 have included too. Burke pegged the Nexus 6's hotword processor as a "Ti C55," the same chip the Moto X uses.
Google's method skips the clunky middle man "hack" that was used in the Moto X, which used one program for the hotword detection and another (Google Search) for the actual command recognition. The Lollipop version uses Google Search for everything, resulting in much faster and less failure-prone voice recognition."

More from the article here: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...e-upcoming-os/

Well, considering both Moto X phones will get 5.0, it should be the same implementation or modified. Also, given how fast Motorola updates now, it's hard to believe they don't already have Lollipop waiting for at LEAST the new X and new G. The original Moto X had KitKat before the Nexus 5, so I think it may get it this time before some older Nexus devices as well. I don't have any proof of this, but Google releases this code ahead of time to the OEMs and there's not much baked into system for Motorola to change. Also, if you've ever used the new Moto X, most of the unique apps have been rolled into one interface and it already has a Material look to it. It's very different from how some of the features are interfaced with in the old Moto X. This leads me to believe that they've already been gearing up for this update. Time will tell.
28th October 2014, 02:44 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 420

More
Does the new moto x use this chip? I thought it used the low power core processor of the 801 snapdragon. If using a separate processor is better then using the SoC then why did Motorola opt to use the SoC on their newest Moto X
28th October 2014, 06:30 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiestuff

Does the new moto x use this chip? I thought it used the low power core processor of the 801 snapdragon. If using a separate processor is better then using the SoC then why did Motorola opt to use the SoC on their newest Moto X

No, apparently the Moto X (both year models) use a separate dedicated low powered chip for this purpose. Maybe the built in snapdragon processor is just not as good. The Note 4 claims to have always listening (using the Snapdragon 805 only) and it was not very good when I tried it for about a week. It would be very inconsistent and "always listening" was more like works for a while after the phone turns on then it stops listening until the next time you turn the screen back on. It has some issues with that feature, I noticed it would stop listening after going into deep sleep or when it was connecting/disconnecting with bluetooth devices. A dedicated low power chip is probably just more reliable.
28th October 2014, 06:40 PM |#5  

More
Quote:

No, apparently the Moto X (both year models) use a separate dedicated low powered chip for this purpose. Maybe the built in snapdragon processor is just not as good. The Note 4 claims to have always listening (using the Snapdragon 805 only) and it was not very good when I tried it for about a week. It would be very inconsistent and "always listening" was more like works for a while after the phone turns on then it stops listening until the next time you turn the screen back on. It has some issues with that feature, I noticed it would stop listening after going into deep sleep or when it was connecting/disconnecting with bluetooth devices. A dedicated low power chip is probably just more reliable.

Do you have a link regarding the new moto x having that chip? Most of the reviews I read indicated that new moto x passed off those duties to the snapdragon SoC. I think the reason why motos work so well recognizing your voice is the 4 mics. I think you're right and the reviews are wrong so I agree with you. I'd just like a confirmed link so I can be right as well. I can't wait until ifixit tears downt he moto x and nexus 6.
28th October 2014, 07:04 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggiestuff

Do you have a link regarding the new moto x having that chip? Most of the reviews I read indicated that new moto x passed off those duties to the snapdragon SoC. I think the reason why motos work so well recognizing your voice is the 4 mics. I think you're right and the reviews are wrong so I agree with you. I'd just like a confirmed link so I can be right as well. I can't wait until ifixit tears downt he moto x and nexus 6.

Well, here's the text from the 2014 Moto X specs on the official Motorola page: "Motorola Mobile Computing System including 2.5GHz Qualcomm® SnapdragonTM 801 with quad-core CPU (MSM 8974-AC), Adreno 330 @ 578 MHz GPU, Natural Language Processor, Contextual Computing Processor" https://www.motorola.com/us/motomake...+1-story-specs

Seems like they're stating it right there, that in addition to the 801, there's a natural language processor and contextual computing processor that, combined, they are calling the Motorola Mobile Computing System.

This is from the AnandTech review of the second gen Moto X: "First, we see the ability to assign new keywords other than “Ok Google Now”, which is nice. I’m not really sure how this is enabled, as based upon some digging Motorola is still using a TI C55x DSP to enable low power hotword detection." http://anandtech.com/show/8523/the-n...-2014-review/2
29th October 2014, 01:42 AM |#7  

More
Quote:

Well, here's the text from the 2014 Moto X specs on the official Motorola page: "Motorola Mobile Computing System including 2.5GHz Qualcomm® SnapdragonTM 801 with quad-core CPU (MSM 8974-AC), Adreno 330 @ 578 MHz GPU, Natural Language Processor, Contextual Computing Processor" https://www.motorola.com/us/motomake...+1-story-specs

Seems like they're stating it right there, that in addition to the 801, there's a natural language processor and contextual computing processor that, combined, they are calling the Motorola Mobile Computing System.

This is from the AnandTech review of the second gen Moto X: "First, we see the ability to assign new keywords other than “Ok Google Now”, which is nice. I’m not really sure how this is enabled, as based upon some digging Motorola is still using a TI C55x DSP to enable low power hotword detection." http://anandtech.com/show/8523/the-n...-2014-review/2

Nice. Thanks for the links.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)