FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Project-Fi] Fi dialer codes to force carrier switching

248 posts
Thanks Meter: 68

Post Reply Email Thread
A lot of people in the Project Fi G+ community (for now, only accessible if you are already a Project Fi member) have mentioned having issues with Project Fi not automatically switching between Sprint and T-Mobile, or making a poor determination of which network is the optimal network. For example, at home I know that I have good Sprint LTE service; yet for some reason Project Fi will often have me locked in to T-Mobile, giving me access only to sub-par HSPA speeds.

I ended up flashing the LVY47H image, which is the version that ships on the Nexus 6 if you bought it directly from Project Fi, and I think that helped some of my issues. I finally did see it lock in to a Sprint LTE "geofence" after about 30+ minutes of it switching back and forth. But others may not be so lucky.

Anyway, after some digging around in the Project FI app (Tycho), I came across these phone dialer codes (aka "secret codes"), which can be used to influence which network Project Fi jumps to:

DISCLAIMER: Use these codes at your own risk! I don't know if there are any side effects to these. I am not responsible for any disruption if it any of these break your Project Fi connection!

These are standard dialer codes, so to use them you just open up your (stock) dialer app and type the code. You should not actually hit the call button as if you are actually going to dial the number!
  • Force jump to Sprint:
    Code:
    *#*#34777#*#*
    34777 = FI SPR
  • Force jump to T-Mobile:
    Code:
    *#*#34866#*#*
    34866 = FI TMO
  • Force jump to the next carrier:
    Code:
    *#*#346398#*#*
    346398 = FI NEXT
  • Re-enable automatic carrier switching:
    Code:
    *#*#342886#*#*
    342886 = FI AUTO
    NOTE: I don't know for sure, but I think you might have to do this code to reactivate the automatic network switching after using one of the above to force it to jump to a different carrier!
  • Attempt to perform an automated "repair":
    Code:
    *#*#34963#*#*
    34963 = FI XME (or if you prefer, FIX ME :P)
    I'm not yet exactly sure what this does to repair anything, but it throws up a dialog that says "Updating..." and adds a notification to the shade that says "Configuring your cellular network...". Presumably this is similar to clearing data in the Project Fi app and re-activating.
  • Get information about the current network:
    Code:
    *#*#344636#*#*
    344636 = FI INFO
    The info in here isn't really all that useful. You can get better/more interesting info elsewhere.
The Following 50 Users Say Thank You to maejrep For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift maejrep Ad-Free

11th June 2015, 12:55 AM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Hellz Kitchen, NYC
Thanks Meter: 1,201

More
Can't wait to hear the results users have. I know for sure TMo is better in my area
11th June 2015, 12:55 AM |#3  
Retired Forum Mod / Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Lakeland, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,895

Donate to Me
More
Firsts
Awesome find!
11th June 2015, 02:45 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 83

More
Sweet, thanks posting!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tubes6al4v For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tubes6al4v Ad-Free
11th June 2015, 10:06 PM |#5  
Flag San Francisco
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks for posting this. Where did you find the LMY47H Factory Image? I originally had LMY47D and then flashed to LMY47Z and am now having lots of trouble with network speed and getting caught on 3G. This shouldn't be happening where I am (SF Bay Area). Thanks!
11th June 2015, 11:17 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhahenderson

Thanks for posting this. Where did you find the LMY47H Factory Image? I originally had LMY47D and then flashed to LMY47Z and am now having lots of trouble with network speed and getting caught on 3G. This shouldn't be happening where I am (SF Bay Area). Thanks!

It's LVY47H. It originally only came shipped on Project-Fi-purchased N6's, but it can be downloaded from the "Nexus 6 Recovery Flashable Fastboot Files (Unlocked Bootloader Only)" thread.
11th June 2015, 11:37 PM |#7  
Flag San Francisco

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maejrep

It's LVY47H. It originally only came shipped on Project-Fi-purchased N6's, but it can be downloaded from the "Nexus 6 Recovery Flashable Fastboot Files (Unlocked Bootloader Only)" thread.

Thanks! I flashed the LVY47H build to my phone (downgraded from LMY47Z) just now because I have been receiving dreadful download speeds on both T-Mobile and Sprint (Sprint is slightly better) in downtown San Francisco. I've used the codes you posted to try fixing Fi and switching carriers, but T-Mobile is still getting awful 0.03mbps DL speeds. Any other suggestions? Was hoping the Project Fi build would fix things.
11th June 2015, 11:48 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks! I flashed the LVY47H build to my phone (downgraded from LMY47Z) just now because I have been receiving dreadful download speeds on both T-Mobile and Sprint (Sprint is slightly better) in downtown San Francisco. I've used the codes you posted to try fixing Fi and switching carriers, but T-Mobile is still getting awful 0.03mbps DL speeds. Any other suggestions? Was hoping the Project Fi build would fix things.

If you're getting bad service on both T-Mobile and Sprint, then these codes wouldn't likely help that. The main reason for knowing these would be if you know that T-Mobile is 10x better than Sprint in your area, but Fi is still choosing Sprint for some reason -- then you can force it to switch to T-Mobile (as an example).

I'd suggest you watch your device's logcat while you do some of these, and filter on the "Tycho" log tag:
Code:
adb logcat -v time Tycho
The Project Fi app dumps some pretty interesting information to logcat as it goes through network changes.

Did you try the FIXME code? That kind of tries to go through some kind of subset of activation again, and it might fix something that got messed up.

Also, when you installed the H build, did you factory reset (wipe data)? If not, try clearing data in the Project Fi app (settings > apps > Project Fi > Clear Data), and then reboot. It should try to go through activation again (should be super quick this time), and that might reset something that got messed up.

If that still doesn't work, you could try to do a factory reset. With the H build, the Project Fi activation is part of the factory reset onboarding flow, so that may help.

If that still doesn't help ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Following User Says Thank You to maejrep For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift maejrep Ad-Free
11th June 2015, 11:53 PM |#9  
Flag San Francisco

More
Quote:

If you're getting bad service on both T-Mobile and Sprint, then these codes wouldn't likely help that. The main reason for knowing these would be if you know that T-Mobile is 10x better than Sprint in your area, but Fi is still choosing Sprint for some reason -- then you can force it to switch to T-Mobile (as an example).

I'd suggest you watch your device's logcat while you do some of these, and filter on the "Tycho" log tag:

Code:
adb logcat -v time Tycho
The Project Fi app dumps some pretty interesting information to logcat as it goes through network changes.

Did you try the FIXME code? That kind of tries to go through some kind of subset of activation again, and it might fix something that got messed up.

Also, when you installed the H build, did you factory reset (wipe data)? If not, try clearing data in the Project Fi app (settings > apps > Project Fi > Clear Data), and then reboot. It should try to go through activation again (should be super quick this time), and that might reset something that got messed up.

If that still doesn't work, you could try to do a factory reset. With the H build, the Project Fi activation is part of the factory reset onboarding flow, so that may help.

If that still doesn't help ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sweet, I'll try looking at the logs. Are you the one in the G+ community who posted that long message about Tycho logs?
11th June 2015, 11:53 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Sweet, I'll try looking at the logs. Are you the one in the G+ community who posted that long message about Tycho logs?

Yes
12th June 2015, 12:22 AM |#11  
Flag San Francisco

More
Quote:

Yes

Awesome, thanks for this. I ran through the activation again after clearing app data and rebooting. Interestingly these two logs happened (not concurrently, but one after the other):

06-11 16:07:12.003 I/Tycho (13368): [1501] c.a: Switch done. result:Success errorMsg: requester:EnabledProfiles pluginSwitchCause:0 srcNetwork:T-Mobile LTE destNetwork:Sprint LTE srcSignalStrength:-102 destSignalStrength:-87 currentTimeStamp:11Jun-16:07:12 startTimeElapsedMillis:328153 voiceAtachedTimeElapsedMillis:350173 dataAttachedTimeElapsedMillis:350173

06-11 16:08:02.962 I/Tycho (13368): [1530] c.a: Switch done. result:Success errorMsg: requester:EnabledProfiles pluginSwitchCause:0 srcNetwork:Sprint LTE destNetwork:T-Mobile LTE srcSignalStrength:-91 destSignalStrength:-102 currentTimeStamp:11Jun-16:08:02 startTimeElapsedMillis:375267 voiceAtachedTimeElapsedMillis:401133 dataAttachedTimeElapsedMillis:386586

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it originally switched to Sprint because it had a faster signal strength (-87) from T-Mobile (-102). But then later switched back to T-Mobile even though T-Mobile was still at -102 and Sprint was at -91. I am assuming that the lower negative number is a higher signal strength.

Is this similar to what you've been experiencing?

I can manually switch back to Sprint given the codes you provided, however, Sprint's (faster) connection is still only getting me 1-2mbps. Extremely subpar for LTE. Not sure what to do. Fi support doesn't know what to do, wish I could talk to a Fi engineer.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

Just got this log:

Code:
06-11 16:19:00.491 I/Tycho   (13368): [1538] c.a: Already on preferred network (310260([nMvLJSajLaqzQr8iujifQdNmIe0])); recommending STAY
Do you think T-Mobile is marked as a preferred carrier even if speeds are slower?
The Following User Says Thank You to rhahenderson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rhahenderson Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dialer codes, project fi, secret codes

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)