FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Remove AT&T Carrier customization open thread

489 posts
Thanks Meter: 89

By iboj007, Senior Member on 20th November 2014, 08:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I wanted to go ahead and make an open thread for N6 AT&T folks so that we can talk about removing all AT&T customization from the phone. Here's what we know so far:

1. Phone is SIM locked to AT&T.
FIX: user @jamezr used http://www.cellunlocker.net/ for $25 and was able to obtain a working unlock code.

Also I requested an unlock code from http://www.swiftunlocks.com. They only charge $9.99. Code was delivered in 2 days (no weekends) and worked without issue.

2. Carrier branding on back of device-
FIX: from user @Affliction716 "On another note the AT&T Deathstar on the back scrapes off without leaving a mark at all!!! Just take a knife or the edge of a credit card and lightly scrape over it. Disappears like it was never there"

3. Bloatware is installed when device is activated with AT&T sim. Can be easily removed.
FIX: Setup the phone without AT&T Sim and it will not show up.

4. On bootup there is an annoying AT&T splash screen. This cannot be removed by simply flashing the factory image.
FIX: From @bodosom Using your favorite File Manager with root permissions:
1: Open /oem/media
2: Mount r/w.
3: Remove or rename the file bootanimation.zip
4: Reboot

5. Annoying AT&T default ringtones by default
FIX: Courtesy of @Plexicle (takes care of boot splash as well)

Contents of OEM:

/oem/lost+found/
(empty)

/oem/media/
/oem/media/ringtones/
/oem/media/ringtones/ATT_Catch_Me.mp3
/oem/media/ringtones/ATT_Firefly.mp3
/oem/media/ringtones/ATT_Play_On.mp3
/oem/media/ringtones/ATT_Stargazer.mp3

/oem/media/bootanimation.zip

/oem/oem.prop

oem.prop contains one line:
"ro.config.ringtone=ATT_Firefly.mp3"

The entire oem partition looks completely useless and should be safe to nuke.

Edit:
I emptied the oem partition entirely. Going to do a quick round of testing and make sure nothing is messed up and report back.

Editx2: back!
Everything is working great. The only thing I noticed is that the call ringtone was initially set to "Unknown ringtone" after first boot. It was probably set by oem.prop and then couldn't find it after that. Just changed it to a different tone, works great.

From @DA6030: So, it sounds like the single command "fastboot erase oem" should take care of most people, and can replace directions #4 and #5 in the OP. This avoids root or messing with ROMs, for the many users who don't need root, and preserves OTA compatibility from Google. One could even re-lock (fastboot oem lock) immediately afterwards, if one doesn't need the tethering fix.

6. Tethering is disabled unless you have a tethering plan.
FIX: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=48

Discuss!
The Following 37 Users Say Thank You to iboj007 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iboj007 Ad-Free

20th November 2014, 08:13 PM |#2  
Flag Dayton
Thanks Meter: 14

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iboj007

I wanted to go ahead and make an open thread for N6 AT&T folks so that we can talk about removing all AT&T customization from the phone. Here's what we know so far:

1. Carrier branding on back of device
2. Bloatware is installed when device is activated with AT&T sim. Can be easily removed.
3. On bootup there is an annoying AT&T splash screen. This cannot be removed by simply flashing the factory image.

Discuss!

I also would like to know how to change the boot animation. It's driving me crazy, both from a Nexus standpoint and just because it's loud as hell. The first strike against the N6 in general is the Motorola M on the back. I would have rather seen the Nexus X logo there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ald9351 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ald9351 Ad-Free
20th November 2014, 08:16 PM |#3  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 64

More
In my eyes, the ATT version is not a Nexus. Same thing happened with the Galaxy Nexus.
20th November 2014, 08:20 PM |#4  
Flag Dayton

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlm

In my eyes, the ATT version is not a Nexus. Same thing happened with the Galaxy Nexus.

It has a couple neg points, but it is still a nexus. I would agree with you if it had a different build number and didn't receive the updates directly from Google. In all the ways that really matter it's a Nexus. Just pisses purists off, myself included.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ald9351 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ald9351 Ad-Free
20th November 2014, 09:05 PM |#5  
Flag Tampa, Florida
Thanks Meter: 549

More
Quote:

I would almost agree with you, but not quite.

Bootloader is still unlockable. Factory image still comes from Google. Carrier didn't touch the system partition. It's Nexus.

We can fix the animation issue.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Plexicle For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Plexicle Ad-Free
20th November 2014, 09:23 PM |#6  
Flag Escondido
Thanks Meter: 117

More
Quote:

.........4. Tethering is disabled unless you have a tethering plan.
FIX: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=48 Discuss!

Here is the complete link (possible fix for tethering). http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=48
The Following User Says Thank You to mtucker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mtucker Ad-Free
20th November 2014, 09:37 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 607

More
Some guy in another thread here had success scraping off the AT&T logo with the edge of a credit card. Said it left no mark.

Don't blame me if you muck up your device. Lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to SilkyJohnson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SilkyJohnson Ad-Free
20th November 2014, 09:52 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyJohnson

Some guy in another thread here had success scraping off the AT&T logo with the edge of a credit card. Said it left no mark.

Don't blame me if you muck up your device. Lol.

I just did it, but couldn't get it done with a credit card. Used a scissors and lightly took it off. There's still a very faint imprint of the logo, but you need to be in the right light. I'll upload pics in a bit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sfidelisrp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sfidelisrp Ad-Free
20th November 2014, 10:18 PM |#9  
Flag Indianapolis
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ald9351

It has a couple neg points, but it is still a nexus. I would agree with you if it had a different build number and didn't receive the updates directly from Google. In all the ways that really matter it's a Nexus. Just pisses purists off, myself included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plexicle

I would almost agree with you, but not quite.

Bootloader is still unlockable. Factory image still comes from Google. Carrier didn't touch the system partition. It's Nexus.

We can fix the animation issue.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

T
So Google will update this phone with the AT&T boot up on it or will AT&T update the phone adding the AT&T boot
This is why I don't believe it is a true pure Nexus
20th November 2014, 10:23 PM |#10  
Flag Dayton

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

So Google will update this phone with the AT&T boot up on it or will AT&T update the phone adding the AT&T boot

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

This is why I don't believe it is a true pure Nexus

Google still updates it. the AT&T boot animation is in a separate partition from the system.
The Following User Says Thank You to ald9351 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ald9351 Ad-Free
20th November 2014, 10:39 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:

3. On bootup there is an annoying AT&T splash screen.
Discuss!

Open /oem/media with your favorite tool.
Mount r/w.
Remove or rename the file bootanimation.zip and the directory ringtones.
Mount r/o or just reboot since you know you want to.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bodosom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bodosom Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)