I tried an iPhone for 2 weeks, back to the Nexus 6 I go!

Search This thread

Fvolfrine

Jul 31, 2014
Oklahoma City
So, I wanted to try something different, and I was allowed to use an iPhone 6 Plus for a period of time, to see what the competition has to offer. I gave it a good try, and after two weeks of use, I am switching back to my Nexus 6.

Here is why:
1. Notifications - Google has really hit the nail on the head with its notifications screen. On Apple, they are an unorganized mess. I cannot delete emails from the notification screen. I cannot add YouTube videos to my Watch Later list from the notification. Most of this has to do with Google apps - they just have more options from the notification shade than on iOS.

2. Fingerprint sensor - sure, the Nexus 6 doesn't have one. But the fingerprint sensor on the iPhone 6 Plus is slow. And without Android's fantastic Smart Lock feature, it just takes longer to unlock an iPhone. And this leads me to my next point.

3. Android Wear - I got a Moto 360 Sport for Christmas, and it works so well with my Nexus 6. It barely functions with iOS. Smart Unlock, notifications, actions, all of it works so well on Android's platform, but Apple, being closed-sourced, barely allows me to connect my watch.

4. Open Source - this one is obvious. When I switched to Android from an iPhone back in 2012, it was because the Samsung Galaxy S3 had that big screen (big being relative to 2012). Today, it is about customization. Yes, iOS has a HUGE advantage over Android with updates and longevity of support for devices, but you are locked into only the features Apple will bestow upon you. With Android, you can do it all.

5. The Form Factor - I just love the Nexus 6. Dual front facing speakers. Small bezels. Round back. The dimple. The iPhone 6 Plus is a sleek looking piece of metal, but I just always go back to that N6 design. I think maybe only the Nexus 5 beats it in terms of simplicity, but the features I mentioned above puts the N6 in a special category.

There are lots of other little things about using iOS for two weeks that I came to both appreciate and be bothered about, but I wanted to keep the list to 5 major issues.

And there have been several phones since the Nexus 6 came out that have a design that I have liked, such as the HTC 10 and Moto G5 Plus, but they are missing key features, especially those front facing speakers.

Long live the Nexus 6!

mesco38

Oct 23, 2015
So, I wanted to try something different, and I was allowed to use an iPhone 6 Plus for a period of time, to see what the competition has to offer. I gave it a good try, and after two weeks of use, I am switching back to my Nexus 6.

Here is why:
1. Notifications - Google has really hit the nail on the head with its notifications screen. On Apple, they are an unorganized mess. I cannot delete emails from the notification screen. I cannot add YouTube videos to my Watch Later list from the notification. Most of this has to do with Google apps - they just have more options from the notification shade than on iOS.

2. Fingerprint sensor - sure, the Nexus 6 doesn't have one. But the fingerprint sensor on the iPhone 6 Plus is slow. And without Android's fantastic Smart Lock feature, it just takes longer to unlock an iPhone. And this leads me to my next point.

3. Android Wear - I got a Moto 360 Sport for Christmas, and it works so well with my Nexus 6. It barely functions with iOS. Smart Unlock, notifications, actions, all of it works so well on Android's platform, but Apple, being closed-sourced, barely allows me to connect my watch.

4. Open Source - this one is obvious. When I switched to Android from an iPhone back in 2012, it was because the Samsung Galaxy S3 had that big screen (big being relative to 2012). Today, it is about customization. Yes, iOS has a HUGE advantage over Android with updates and longevity of support for devices, but you are locked into only the features Apple will bestow upon you. With Android, you can do it all.

5. The Form Factor - I just love the Nexus 6. Dual front facing speakers. Small bezels. Round back. The dimple. The iPhone 6 Plus is a sleek looking piece of metal, but I just always go back to that N6 design. I think maybe only the Nexus 5 beats it in terms of simplicity, but the features I mentioned above puts the N6 in a special category.

There are lots of other little things about using iOS for two weeks that I came to both appreciate and be bothered about, but I wanted to keep the list to 5 major issues.

And there have been several phones since the Nexus 6 came out that have a design that I have liked, such as the HTC 10 and Moto G5 Plus, but they are missing key features, especially those front facing speakers.

Long live the Nexus 6!

Welcome back :D
We talked about a N6 successor, but there's no one which could replace shamu.. Axon 7 is the closest but have some lacks, especially about unlocking bootloader..
We'll see Taimen this autumn.
I'll keep my N6 as long as I can though

Fvolfrine

Jul 31, 2014
Oklahoma City
Here are a few things I enjoyed about the iPhone:

iMessage - seriously, Apple figured out messaging years ago, how is it that Google is still struggling to put together a single messaging app as simple and effective as iMessage?

FaceTime - like iMessage, Apple's integration of a video app into the phone app is so simple and intuitive.

Battery percentage - come on Google, it's time to give us a stand-alone battery percentage. Most custom ROMs have this, add it!

Slow motion video - yes, I know it was added with the N6P, but I'll miss it on my shamu.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: damiloveu

Fvolfrine

Jul 31, 2014
Oklahoma City
And here are a few things Apple needs to add to iOS:

Restart - it took Google years to add a restart option, iOS still does not have it. Sure, you can do a reset by pressing and holding the power and home buttons, but that is not as intuitive as just holding the power button and bringing up a menu.

Clear apps - again, this is still relatively new to Android, but iOS does not have it. So if you want to close all of your apps, get to sliding.

Better notifications in the lock screen - iOS users have to choices from the lock screen: view and clear. I took for granted how easy Android makes it to delete unwanted emails from a notification. No such option on an iPhone.

More open-source ability - yeah, I know. Wishful thinking.

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Its kinda funny that you mention open source when Google is closing up more and more parts of android every day. You do know that what is pushed to aosp is "not" what Google ships on the devices right?

The deal with Imessage is that all messages are routed through apple severs. Which is not only a privacy issue but security hole (how ever unlikely) Dont expect google to do that or many people willing to deal with it.

Im surprised you didnt go to the 6p with all the issues the n6 will have from here on out with the introduction to 8 and after being about as stable as a buggy port.

Fvolfrine

Jul 31, 2014
Oklahoma City
Well, I am thinking about going to the 6P. I am going to sell the iPhone and probably will have enough for a decent 6P. At least then I get another year of software updates. I just never fancied the look of the 6P - that cyclops back is an eyesore.

shadowcore

Apr 26, 2013
Hell
OnePlus 8T
Xiaomi Poco F3
As for the percentage. You can activate it by activating system ui tuner. If u are on 7.0

Other than that. The Smartphone market is a mess.

You know, the saddest thing probably is that there wont ever be a device that can replace our devices.

Fvolfrine

Jul 31, 2014
Oklahoma City
I have my battery percentage embedded in the battery icon turned on, but it is not as simple as just a plain percentage, no icon. I've been on PureNexus for some time, went back to stock when I switched to the iPhone. I might go back to PN, not just for the battery percentage, but for updates and improvements over stock.

Reactions: biglil1

sms2000

Mar 5, 2009
Modi'in
OnePlus 8 Pro
You cannot "try" iPhone.
Nothing new can be done with that crap which wasn't done before by someone.
There is nothing left to try...

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Not at all.
Android will forever be Terra incognita for curious guys.

You act like android is really something new. It's not really. Everything you are doing on Android was being done before Android was a thing. Hell we already had custom launchers, apps, widgets, themes, roms, all of it a decade ago. Before even Apple. So it has all been done before.

The only difference between the two is life styles. You have android for those that want to mess with their device and you have E apple for those that just want it to work when they need it to.

Reactions: Arju

Fvolfrine

Jul 31, 2014
Oklahoma City
Slow fingerprint sensor eh?

Very slow - it is actually the first phone I've put my sim card in that has a fingerprint sensor, but as I know several people with a Nexus 5X, I had higher expectations for this sensor. Having to press it is an inconvenience. Having to hold my finger on the sensor for at least one second (first world problems!) took longer than I expected.

Fvolfrine

Jul 31, 2014
Oklahoma City
I will say this - though it was slow, I really liked having the fingerprint sensor. So I bought a Nexus 6P.

After two years with the amazing Nexus 6, I finally have moved on. It was an amazing phone, perhaps the best I will ever own. But like all good things, it was time to move on. As such, this is my last post in the N6 forum, I am moving on to the N6P forum. Thanks for an amazing two years, Shamu, I will miss you!

Reactions: mesco38

mdayjr

Feb 14, 2010
Bentonville
So this is just a trash talk on the iPhone 6s plus? I have both phones. The experiences you detail on the iPhone are pure crap. I repeat. Pure crap. You didn't have that phone long enough to even give it a chance. Hope you don't do that with women. I find that I use the iPhone 6s + all the time because of its ease of use. It's finger print scanner is quick. Google offers every app in the app store. You can also use the native email app Apple supplied which works great. Also the battery life on the iPhone 6s+ out does the Nexus 6 by almost 5 hours​. The fact that you took up valuable space to advertise your dislikes for a piece of equipment that you gave no time with is utterly disrespectful and blatantly corruptive. I use the Nexus 6 on AT&T (which I've had since the beginning) and use the iPhone 6s+ on Verizon. The fact that these devices are two entirely different worlds, making comparisons to one another is redundant. People will like Android or Apple. That's their choice. That's their preference. I use both. Each one has it's unique features and I embellish all of them. Hooray that you tried something and wanted to share it but all you did was spark controversy among the threads. Nothing important nor informative. Only your likes and dislikes on the iPhone 6s+. Congratulations. This was my two cents seeing how this forum is a complete waste.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Last edited:
Reactions: boonsattha

mesco38

Oct 23, 2015
So this is just a trash talk on the iPhone 6s plus? I have both phones. The experiences you detail on the iPhone are pure crap. I repeat. Pure crap. You didn't have that phone long enough to even give it a chance. Hope you don't do that with women. I find that I use the iPhone 6s + all the time because of its ease of use. It's finger print scanner is quick. Google offers every app in the app store. You can also use the native email app Apple supplied which works great. Also the battery life on the iPhone 6s+ out does the Nexus 6 by almost 5 hours​. The fact that you took up valuable space to advertise your dislikes for a piece of equipment that you gave no time with is utterly disrespectful and blatantly corruptive. I use the Nexus 6 on AT&T (which I've had since the beginning) and use the iPhone 6s+ on Verizon. The fact that these devices are two entirely different worlds, making comparisons to one another is redundant. People will like Android or Apple. That's their choice. That's their preference. I use both. Each one has it's unique features and I embellish all of them. Hooray that you tried something and wanted to share it but all you did was spark controversy among the threads. Nothing important nor informative. Only your likes and dislikes on the iPhone 6s+. Congratulations. This was my two cents seeing how this forum is a complete waste.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

iPhone user : "Dear Android user, buy an iPhone. It's a pretty well working phone"
Android user : "Dear iPhone user, you can have the same thing for twice as cheap"
We're both talking about high-end phones, which perfectly work in each case. Just some different habits. You right about that.
Even security policy are different, not better or worst...
Each side has its advantages and its inconveniences..

That being said, he just gave his opinion about his experiment. With his eyes.

How about you ? You can give your opinion to compare ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here is why:

Long live the Nexus 6!
    Here are a few things I enjoyed about the iPhone:

iMessage - seriously, Apple figured out messaging years ago, how is it that Google is still struggling to put together a single messaging app as simple and effective as iMessage?

FaceTime - like iMessage, Apple's integration of a video app into the phone app is so simple and intuitive.

Battery percentage - come on Google, it's time to give us a stand-alone battery percentage. Most custom ROMs have this, add it!

Slow motion video - yes, I know it was added with the N6P, but I'll miss it on my shamu.

I have my battery percentage embedded in the battery icon turned on, but it is not as simple as just a plain percentage, no icon. I've been on PureNexus for some time, went back to stock when I switched to the iPhone. I might go back to PN, not just for the battery percentage, but for updates and improvements over stock.
    ... a decent 6P. At least then I get another year of software updates.....
    My Nexus 6 will be banned from updates in October this year.
    I think at that time a peacefully period will start. No more updates .....just using a decrypted and smooth device.
    Not at all.
    Android will forever be Terra incognita for curious guys.

You act like android is really something new. It's not really. Everything you are doing on Android was being done before Android was a thing. Hell we already had custom launchers, apps, widgets, themes, roms, all of it a decade ago. Before even Apple. So it has all been done before.

The only difference between the two is life styles. You have android for those that want to mess with their device and you have E apple for those that just want it to work when they need it to.