FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[VIDEO] Nexus 6 - Water Test (submerge and charge underwater)

727 posts
Thanks Meter: 301

By chrisngrod, Senior Member on 23rd November 2014, 12:14 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
[YOUTUBE]vxiRSDF0Ke0[/YOUTUBE]

I don't recommend doing this. It's pretty stupid and could ruin a perfectly good phone. I'm just that brainless. Whatever happens, you're on your own.

I do go into this with some knowledge of the device. Dunked the Moto G when I found out that had a nano coating and hoped the Nexus 6 could at least perform to the same level as that much cheaper phone.

Afterwards, I did have some problems with the internal speakers. I'm not 100% sure if they were working like this before the test. As I note in my conversation with AT&T, alarms worked along with the boot sound.

Conversation with AT&T Support

Quote:

AT&T Rep : Good Morning Keri! I can definitely assist you today regarding your device sounds not working besides for your alarm and boot sound. :]
Me: Thank you
Me: also the mic doesn't work... tried the "ok google" recorded a video and had it backup to Google... Played it on the computer and can hear sound there. Headphones work if plugged in.
AT&T Rep : Thank you for the information. The issue has been occurring since you go the device, correct/
Me: i didn't play with it much yesterday... i thought it was working fine, but the only thing i did between then and this morning was use the wireless charging
Me: factory reset it and it still doesn't work... if you try different alarm sounds you can preview them and everything seems normal, but it won't play any other sounds
Me: even when you go into settings to change the volumes... you only hear the preview when changing the alarm sound
AT&T Rep : I appreciate all of that information. I am checking on a demo device I have for any settings that may cause this. Did you download any new apps or software on your phone?
Me: same apps i had on my old phone, but when i factory reset it i kept everything off
AT&T Rep : Okay, thank you. On the top of your phone screen does your device show that head phones are connected even when they are not?
Me: let me check
AT&T Rep : Thank you
Me: speakers were not working (no headphone icon), plugged in headphones (those work), unplugged headphones and the icon is still there
AT&T Rep : Okay, try powering off your phone with the head phones in for 30 seconds and then remove then and power back on your phone
Me: k 1 second
AT&T Rep : Not a problem
Me: okay i didn't reboot it
Me: but when i was going upstairs for the headphones.. i noticed the icon was gone
Me: and it started to work again... really strange... thanks so much
AT&T Rep : You are most welcome. If you notice this become a regular issue I would take it in store within 14 days of the shipment date of your phone to replace it for a new one. If not we can do a warranty replacement on the phone but it would be certified like new and not new.
Me: so weird since i factory reset it and everything
Me: thanks again gotcha on the 14 days
AT&T Rep : You are most welcome. :] Enjoy the rest of your day and your weekend, and the upcoming holidays.
Me: you too!

In the end, everything is back to normal! Working fine.

Nexus 6 Glass Screen Protector Install - http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...creen-t2959539
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to chrisngrod For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chrisngrod Ad-Free

23rd November 2014, 04:15 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
What charger is that?
23rd November 2014, 04:16 AM |#3  
Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 791

More
Nice! Thanks for sharing
23rd November 2014, 06:24 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 456

More
As dumb as this was, it is a huge contribution to the community. Thanks for sharing.

If you listen closely, right when he is about to pull the phone out of the water you can hear a transistor or something start to buzz. Sounds like something was getting ready to blow up lol. Scary stuff, not for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to seh6183 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift seh6183 Ad-Free
23rd November 2014, 07:00 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 295

More

i thought you are erica griffin for a moment
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bradputt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bradputt Ad-Free
23rd November 2014, 07:03 AM |#6  
Flag Missouri
Thanks Meter: 82

More
I mean it's nice to know that the phone will survive some quick submerges but dear lord did you give me heart palpitations.
23rd November 2014, 07:52 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
I'd say it was a pretty safe bet. After seeing the new android commercials and seeing them throwing the nexus 6 into the fish tank. Glad to see it survived, now I can just reference your video instead off trying it out myself haha.

Would also like to know which qi power bank that is and if you like it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
23rd November 2014, 08:16 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl0wn

I'd say it was a pretty safe bet. After seeing the new android commercials and seeing them throwing the nexus 6 into the fish tank. Glad to see it survived, now I can just reference your video instead off trying it out myself haha.

That was a samsung in the first tank IIRC.
23rd November 2014, 11:09 AM |#9  
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Charger
For the charger he mentioned RAVPower in the video. It looks like the "[2-in-1] RAVPower® Qi-Enabled Wireless Charger / 5000mAh External Battery Pack Charger" from Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower%C2%AE.../dp/B00HYAZMU2
..decent brand. I have a 23,000mah battery charger for my laptop & phone (no Qi unfortunately) and I'm happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halon17

What charger is that?

Quote:

23rd November 2014, 07:06 PM |#10  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 1,039

More
Initially I had a serious problem with this video and considered it cruel and unusual abuse, but after seeing you provided the Nexus 6 with bath toys to play with while it was in the tub, you have my blessing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Namolas For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Namolas Ad-Free
25th November 2014, 10:42 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Des Moines, IA
Thanks Meter: 301

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by halon17

What charger is that?

Sorry for the late reply. Been traveling to see family. It was a Ravpower unit as stated on someone else's reply.
Quote:

I would have been a sad panda if the Moto G could do it and not the Nexus 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMasterB

Initially I had a serious problem with this video and considered it cruel and unusual abuse, but after seeing you provided the Nexus 6 with bath toys to play with while it was in the tub, you have my blessing.

After shooting this video I drove from Des Moines, IA to Houston, TX, (using the phone for navigation), spent a day at the zoo taking pictures, and doing other activities. No problems at all.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
nexus 6, submerge, test, underwater, water

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)