how to make android oreo 8.1 default icon shape circle?

Search This thread

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
What do you mean by "nothing happened"? A little more detail from you would be useful, such as the tutorial you used, and the steps you took. Keep in mind though that round icons only work if the app has the assets included. I have a lot of apps on my N6 that don't have round icons, so next to the Google apps they look strange. Which is where Nova Launcher comes in. It can plaster a colored circle behind the apps that don't have round icons so they match the rest.

HitFan

Aug 5, 2013
Bytom
I would like to bump this thread.
Is there any way to change adaptive icon shape In Android Oreo 8.1 but in whole system, not only in launcher?

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Not to my knowledge, but the fault lies with the apps, not Android. Each app developer has to include the resources within their apps for the app icon to adapt. So if the app icon doesn't adapt, contact the developer and have them add the proper resources.

HitFan

Aug 5, 2013
Bytom
Not to my knowledge, but the fault lies with the apps, not Android. Each app developer has to include the resources within their apps for the app icon to adapt. So if the app icon doesn't adapt, contact the developer and have them add the proper resources.

Bruv you don't tell me that this icon with white square in background is default in-app icon of Chrome

Attachments

• Screenshot_Ustawienia_20180517-111401.png
    Screenshot_Ustawienia_20180517-111401.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 294

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
I'm only telling you what I know. For example, the ROM my N6 currently uses, Nitrogen, does not have a setting to force a particular shape: it uses a circle. Android 8.1 stock on my Pixel 2 XL does not have a setting to change the shape: it also uses a circle.

Your custom ROM is either coded to use squares or you have a theme that is changing them. Your ROM's developer will have to help you out, because they changed it from the default circle.

EDIT: If you're using Magisk, there is a module named "Adaptive Icons Round Mask" that may work for you, however according to the documentation it's intended for Android 7.1.1.

Last edited: