FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

No data or voice, shows ! in icon

14 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By midwestkel, Junior Member on 7th May 2015, 04:02 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This last week at work I started noticing that my data and voice would drop off and I would get the icon showing half signal but would have an ! In the icon. When I look at the Sim status it shows I'm connected but I'm not. After rebooting the phone I will have 4G service for about 20 minutes then it drops off again.

I have Tmo and contacted support and they told me to reset the APN but that didn't help.

The only thing that looks new on my phone is a recent app called Google Connectivity Service.

Other people at work on Tmo are not experiencing this issue but they are on Kit Kat still. I don't have this issue at home, I get full LTE there.

EDIT:
This is still broken as of 05/20/2015 -- Possible workarounds can be found here (thanks TaintedByte).
The Following User Says Thank You to midwestkel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift midwestkel Ad-Free

7th May 2015, 05:33 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 759

More
I have this same issue but it's only at home. I think it's just due to poor service when I'm in my house or I have to many towers to connect to..... It switches from no data to E,3g,H,H+ constantly while I'm just sitting on the couch. But I also get ! Frequently
7th May 2015, 05:37 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I would think it was poor reception but this a recent thing for me. Before this week I haven't had this issue and others in my office have full 4G signals.
7th May 2015, 06:12 PM |#4  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,330

Donate to Me
More
OMG. I have the EXACT same problem. I just switched to TMobile and got the nexus 6 on the 13th. Everything was "fine" at my work. I'd be stuck on 3G most of the time, but it never failed me. Then starting this week, it's been dropping signal like crazy, getting the !. It's defintely due to a weak signal, but I don't know why it was fine for 3 weeks, and then all of a sudden started having problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to rbox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th May 2015, 06:59 PM |#5  
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 32

More
+1 - on Spring Rom

EDIT - Went back to a backup of Bliss, problem has not appeared.
7th May 2015, 07:08 PM |#6  
Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
I was trying to fix it by forcing it to 3G, but my phone likes to try to switch to HSPA when I set it to 3G and that one is pretty weak too. If there was a way to force it to 3g without hspa, I think i'd be fine. I just tried forcing it to 2G and I get a pretty strong EDGE signal. It'll be slow as balls, but I'll see if that fixes it. Unfortunately the area I live in isn't going to get band 12 for quite a while, if ever. It's one of those major cities that have an exception on it for a TV station that still exists.
7th May 2015, 08:25 PM |#7  
Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 791

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox

I was trying to fix it by forcing it to 3G, but my phone likes to try to switch to HSPA when I set it to 3G and that one is pretty weak too. If there was a way to force it to 3g without hspa, I think i'd be fine. I just tried forcing it to 2G and I get a pretty strong EDGE signal. It'll be slow as balls, but I'll see if that fixes it. Unfortunately the area I live in isn't going to get band 12 for quite a while, if ever. It's one of those major cities that have an exception on it for a TV station that still exists.

3G is HSPA/+. On Tmo anyway. When in 3G mode it will display 3G (also known as UMTS) when data is idle and will display HSPA or HSPA+ when data is active.
7th May 2015, 09:40 PM |#8  
Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdan

3G is HSPA/+. On Tmo anyway. When in 3G mode it will display 3G (also known as UMTS) when data is idle and will display HSPA or HSPA+ when data is active.

Well that's weird, because sometimes I'll see 3G shown while data is active and I see differnet levels for 3G vs H on the icon. But it looks like I have a pretty strong H right now. Maybe I'll have good luck this afternoon.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

I take it back. Sometimes the icon will get "stuck" and show a great signal but no connection.
GuestK0087
7th May 2015, 09:45 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Have you guys tried turning off enhanced LTE in carrier settings?
7th May 2015, 10:47 PM |#10  
Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolution_Freak

Have you guys tried turning off enhanced LTE in carrier settings?

I just did. And eventually it died. It seems like if I leave it on the preference of LTE, then I get the exclamation point. If I force it to be 3g only, then I get the situation where the icon claims it's 3G, and the signal looks good, but I have no service.
7th May 2015, 11:00 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestkel

This last week at work I started noticing that my data and voice would drop off and I would get the icon showing half signal but would have an ! In the icon. When I look at the Sim status it shows I'm connected but I'm not. After rebooting the phone I will have 4G service for about 20 minutes then it drops off again.

I have Tmo and contacted support and they told me to reset the APN but that didn't help.

The only thing that looks new on my phone is a recent app called Google Connectivity Service.

Other people at work on Tmo are not experiencing this issue but they are on Kit Kat still. I don't have this issue at home, I get full LTE there.

I have the same problem with sprint, they couldn't give me a solution either...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)