Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

OEM Unlocking Greyed Out?

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By mattfrazer, Junior Member on 31st October 2016, 10:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Perhaps I am just misremembering, but on NBD90Z, if your bootloader is already unlocked, should the developer option for OEM Unlocking be available or greyed out? Mine is greyed out (Pic attached) and only becomes available if I flash a 6.x ROM.

Tinfoil hat backgrounder....
I recently wanted to verify my carrier unlocked status on my Nexus 6. I popped in the Verizon SIM from my recently purchased Pixel, which worked fine. I'm now worried that however Verizon is able to force OEM lock onto the Pixel has now been set on my N6 and if I relock I will be unable to unlock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screengrab1.png
Views:	818
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	3921992  

31st October 2016, 11:23 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Columbus, Indiana
Thanks Meter: 2,055

More
@mattfrazer,

Yes the option is grayed out on 7.0 if your bootloader is already unlocked. I'm on Fi, my bootloader is unlocked, and it's grayed out on my N6.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam30era For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cam30era Ad-Free
31st October 2016, 11:55 PM |#3  
Forum Moderator
Flag Northern California
Thanks Meter: 4,505

More
No carrier to my knowledge can force lock a bootloader. Once you fastboot oem unlock it, it will stay that way till you pass the fastboot oem lock command.
The Following User Says Thank You to SynisterWolf For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SynisterWolf Ad-Free
1st November 2016, 04:41 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam30era

@mattfrazer,
Yes the option is grayed out on 7.0 if your bootloader is already unlocked. I'm on Fi, my bootloader is unlocked, and it's grayed out on my N6.

Thank You Sir, I appreciate the confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynisterWolf

No carrier to my knowledge can force lock a bootloader. Once you fastboot oem unlock it, it will stay that way till you pass the fastboot oem lock command.

I understand that. My worry was not that lock would be force enabled, but that the option would not "ungrey" if I were to choose to lock the bootloader on my N6 again. Either I hadn't paid close enough attention post 7.0 upgrade, or hadn't gone through the 2 step unlock process since running 6.x to notice the option greys out if your bootloader is unlocked on 7.0. I must not be the only one as the description under the option is changed in 7.1 to say "Bootloader is already unlocked" instead of "Allow the bootloader to be unlocked"

Thanks again to you both.
The Following User Says Thank You to mattfrazer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mattfrazer Ad-Free
1st November 2016, 08:52 AM |#5  
Flag karachi
Thanks Meter: 3

More
there are 2 possibilities . 1 : your bootloader is already unlocked(check it by going to fastboot) 2: turn on USB debugging ON
im sure your bootloader is already unlocked

cheers
1st November 2016, 03:56 PM |#6  
Forum Moderator
Flag Northern California
Thanks Meter: 4,505

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfrazer

Thank You Sir, I appreciate the confirmation.

I understand that. My worry was not that lock would be force enabled, but that the option would not "ungrey" if I were to choose to lock the bootloader on my N6 again. Either I hadn't paid close enough attention post 7.0 upgrade, or hadn't gone through the 2 step unlock process since running 6.x to notice the option greys out if your bootloader is unlocked on 7.0. I must not be the only one as the description under the option is changed in 7.1 to say "Bootloader is already unlocked" instead of "Allow the bootloader to be unlocked"

Thanks again to you both.

Thats a good question. I have been away from VZW for a while now but did they have an N6 branded to them? if so, did they removed bootloader unlock like they do with HTC phones branded to them? if you did buy one from google or a non branded N6 carriers have zero control over it so in theory you can lock and unlock the bootloader at any time regardless of the carrier you are using for cell service. I personally never had to go back so i never noticed the greyed out option.

But thanks for pointing this out.
1st November 2016, 05:11 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 894

More
It is gray if you are already unlocked so you dont hit that before you fastboot lock if you are relocking. Doing the slider first can be bad. It was a changed in N.
1st November 2016, 06:46 PM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Columbus, Indiana

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynisterWolf

Thats a good question. I have been away from VZW for a while now but did they have an N6 branded to them? if so, did they removed bootloader unlock like they do with HTC phones branded to them?

No, there wasn't a VZW branded N6. In the US, only AT&T had a branded N6, and FWIW it was carrier locked to AT&T. Usual rigmarole to get it SIM unlocked. This version had an unlockable bootloader, just like the Google Play Store version.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam30era For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cam30era Ad-Free
5th November 2016, 10:39 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonikJDK

It is gray if you are already unlocked so you dont hit that before you fastboot lock if you are relocking. Doing the slider first can be bad. It was a changed in N.

So we can simply lock it again, without having to tick it or anything?
6th November 2016, 12:22 AM |#10  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam30era

No, there wasn't a VZW branded N6. .

Yes there was. Vzw was the last of the major carriers to pick it up though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Larzzzz82 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Larzzzz82 Ad-Free
6th November 2016, 02:36 AM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Columbus, Indiana

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzzzz82

Yes there was. Vzw was the last of the major carriers to pick it up though.

Thanks for setting the record straight.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)