FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

One-time temp TWRP boot to install SuperSU

1,642 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,483

By dahawthorne, Senior Member on 20th December 2015, 10:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I think I already know the answer, but with a £550 device I'd rather double-check with the experts.
Is there any reason that I should not boot temporarily to TWRP to install SuperSU 2.62 ("fastboot boot twrp.img")? I don't believe that a permanent TWRP installation is a necessity, and if I understand Chainfire's comment correctly:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps...d-6-0-t3271137
leaving the device as stock as possible, including stock recovery, means an easier upgrade path for OTAs. The best of both worlds - regular OTA security updates plus root.
Any reason that this would not work, and more importantly any reason that it might risk the integrity of my N6? I don't want an expensive paperweight...
Thanks...

20th December 2015, 11:09 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 26,394

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawthorne

I think I already know the answer, but with a £550 device I'd rather double-check with the experts.
Is there any reason that I should not boot temporarily to TWRP to install SuperSU 2.62 ("fastboot boot twrp.img")? I don't believe that a permanent TWRP installation is a necessity, and if I understand Chainfire's comment correctly:
leaving the device as stock as possible, including stock recovery, means an easier upgrade path for OTAs. The best of both worlds - regular OTA security updates plus root.
Any reason that this would not work, and more importantly any reason that it might risk the integrity of my N6? I don't want an expensive paperweight...
Thanks...

having root = no ota, so having twrp is besides the point. anyways, twrp is one of the mist useful tools to have if you mod your device. you can make, and restore, a nandroid backup. if you make a mod, and it messes up, you probably wont noot anymore, but a nandtoid backup restored will bring your device back to how it was.
The Following User Says Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift simms22 Ad-Free
20th December 2015, 11:17 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brighton

More
Yes, thanks, Simms, I get all that, but it's not really answering my question. Is there any problem with using temporary TWRP to install SuperSU?
Also if you read Chainfire's comment he makes it clear that his systemless root doesn't prevent OTA, whereas having a non-stock recovery might.
20th December 2015, 11:31 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Quote:

Thanks...

Don't usually encourage use of toolkits but Wug's toolkit includes and option to do this kind of one time boot, I don't know off the top of my head what actual process it uses for that or I'd just tell you that. But yea I'd just recommend leaving TWRP on and after first flashing it and booting into it twrp should prompt you something along the lines of keeping /system mounted as read-only, do that and make a backup including the "system image" and boot. Then in Advanced>uncheck "mount system as read-only."

Whenever an ota rolls around you can go back into twrp and restore that boot and system-image backup when you boot up android will replace twrp with stock recovery and the ota should work.
The Following User Says Thank You to StykerB For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift StykerB Ad-Free
21st December 2015, 12:34 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brighton

More
Thanks again - I appreciate the answer, but again it doesn't really answer my question. I've been using TWRP for years and I'm well aware of its benefits. What I want to know if there's any problem with using it as a one-off to install SuperSU, leaving stock recovery in place when I reboot so that TWRP can't interfere with the OTA.
I'm also very well aware of NRT, which again I've used for years and have donated to several times (excellent program), but I don't need it when "fastboot boot recovery twrp.img" will do the job faster.
Am I not explaining myself properly?
The Following User Says Thank You to dahawthorne For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dahawthorne Ad-Free
21st December 2015, 01:47 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 120

More
Quote:

Thanks again - I appreciate the answer, but again it doesn't really answer my question. I've been using TWRP for years and I'm well aware of its benefits. What I want to know if there's any problem with using it as a one-off to install SuperSU, leaving stock recovery in place when I reboot so that TWRP can't interfere with the OTA.
I'm also very well aware of NRT, which again I've used for years and have donated to several times (excellent program), but I don't need it when "fastboot boot recovery twrp.img" will do the job faster.
Am I not explaining myself properly?

nah there should be no problem with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StykerB For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift StykerB Ad-Free
21st December 2015, 02:13 AM |#7  
Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
BROOKLYN!
Thanks Meter: 26,394

More
theres no issue with it, just keep your bootloader unlocked, or you can have issues in the future. btw..

fastboot boot recovery recoveryname.img as opposed to fastboot flash
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simms22 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift simms22 Ad-Free
21st December 2015, 10:37 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brighton

More
Thanks, both - I appreciate the help.
22nd December 2015, 10:26 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brighton

More
Just in case anyone might find the confirmation useful, yes, it did work. I used "fastboot boot twrp.img" to install SuperSU 2.62-3 and it's all working fine. If I understand Chainfore correctly in the link quoted above, using SuperSU's "full unroot" will allow the next OTA, then I can repeat the fastboot install, which should be far simpler than overwriting the system.img.
The Following User Says Thank You to dahawthorne For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dahawthorne Ad-Free
22nd December 2015, 04:21 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 99

More
why would you want an OTA? this is XDA Developers, the worst ROM here is better than ANY OTA that you can have, plus you get it sooner and can try them all and have a backup of your favorite one. This sort of thing always makes me laugh!
22nd December 2015, 10:11 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Brighton

More
I am glad to have brought some laughter and joy into your life. Though I hope that you can find better in your real life, right...?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ota, supersu

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)