FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q&A] [How-To] Disable Forced Encryption

n/a posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By QA Bot, Guest on 20th November 2014, 11:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Q&A for [How-To] Disable Forced Encryption

Some developers prefer that questions remain separate from their main development thread to help keep things organized. Placing your question within this thread will increase its chances of being answered by a member of the community or by the developer.

Before posting, please use the forum search and read through the discussion thread for [How-To] Disable Forced Encryption. If you can't find an answer, post it here, being sure to give as much information as possible (firmware version, steps to reproduce, logcat if available) so that you can get help.

Thanks for understanding and for helping to keep XDA neat and tidy!
 
 
20th November 2014, 11:11 AM |#2  
Junior Member
Flag Dalton
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Question
Why would you want to disable encryption? A theoretical increase in write speeds for guaranteed reduction in security?
20th November 2014, 02:22 PM |#3  
Evo_Shift's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 486
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinRawr

Why would you want to disable encryption? A theoretical increase in write speeds for guaranteed reduction in security?

We aren't all Jason Bourne. Encryption is pointless for 99.9999999999999999999999% of people. I'd rather my Nexus 6 be faster than my Nexus 5. My lock screen along with the ability to remotely wipe my device is perfectly fine for me. I don't keep my highly classified government information on my personal cell phone.

It is pretty obvious just looking at that comparison video of a guy with a nexus 6 vs a nexus 5 that the phone does everything slower. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...compromises/2/
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Evo_Shift For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Evo_Shift Ad-Free
20th November 2014, 04:04 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 182
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinRawr

Why would you want to disable encryption? A theoretical increase in write speeds for guaranteed reduction in security?

Because of the children.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cupfulloflol For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cupfulloflol Ad-Free
20th November 2014, 05:50 PM |#5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Has anyone flashed this using TWRP and did it work?
20th November 2014, 06:27 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 46
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jairusz

Has anyone flashed this using TWRP and did it work?

It's not a flashable zip, you have to push it with fastboot
20th November 2014, 06:45 PM |#7  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 37,926
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashk5

It's not a flashable zip, you have to push it with fastboot

You can always use flashify or make a flushable zip with the kernel.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to zephiK For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zephiK Ad-Free
20th November 2014, 07:15 PM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
no encryption boot.img for Nexus 9
Sooo... Is there any way that we can get this for the Nexus 9 as well?
20th November 2014, 07:46 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 678
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo_Shift

I don't keep my highly classified government information on my personal cell phone.

I am sure that 99.999999999999999999999999999999% you quote is blatant exxageration, if you have proof, i'd love to be proven wrong and only be part of the 0.000000000000000000000001

You see, I am a federal employee, and there are hundreds of thousands more just like me. Some of them like Android phones over the standard Blackberry.
20th November 2014, 07:46 PM |#10  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag New York, NY
Thanks Meter: 37,926
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlharry

Sooo... Is there any way that we can get this for the Nexus 9 as well?

I'm sure that you can but this isn't the place to ask or look, check the N9 forums.
20th November 2014, 08:06 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaisanNYC

I am sure that 99.999999999999999999999999999999% you quote is blatant exxageration, if you have proof, i'd love to be proven wrong and only be part of the 0.000000000000000000000001

You see, I am a federal employee, and there are hundreds of thousands more just like me. Some of them like Android phones over the standard Blackberry.


If you were a federal employee who had read their employee handbook, I'm sure you would know you are forbidden from storing any classified or sensitive material on your personal device.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alsip1023 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alsip1023 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
auto-qa

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes