[ROM][(Un)OFFICIAL] LineageOS 15.1 for Nexus 6 (shamu)

Search This thread

learlyman

Jun 21, 2015

Thanks very much for that! I've installed it and it's giving me great information.

The charging weirdness continues though. It stopped charging through USB until I turned it off - I let it charge while off, and then turned it on with the USB still connected, and it kept charging and it now also has the LED under the top speaker grille lighting up blue while charging which it didn't before - no idea where that is coming from now.

I charged it to 100% and then let it drain back down to 70%, put it on the wireless charger, and it's now wireless charging with the charge current (according to AccuBattery) fluctuating between 100mA and 800mA.

Sam Nakamura

Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks very much for that! I've installed it and it's giving me great information.

The charging weirdness continues though. It stopped charging through USB until I turned it off - I let it charge while off, and then turned it on with the USB still connected, and it kept charging and it now also has the LED under the top speaker grille lighting up blue while charging which it didn't before - no idea where that is coming from now.

I charged it to 100% and then let it drain back down to 70%, put it on the wireless charger, and it's now wireless charging with the charge current (according to AccuBattery) fluctuating between 100mA and 800mA.
What does it say about the remaining battery capacity (at the 'health' tab)? Charging madness usually comes from a pretty worn-out battery, if it's remaining capacity is below 70% you're on the right track, mine was virtually useless when it hit 55% and made al kinds of nonsense when charging and also switched off after 20 minutes of use, with big chunks of charging percentage missing once I was able to restart the device...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using XDA Labs

learlyman

Jun 21, 2015
What does it say about the remaining battery capacity (at the 'health' tab)? Charging madness usually comes from a pretty worn-out battery, if it's remaining capacity is below 70% you're on the right track, mine was virtually useless when it hit 55% and made al kinds of nonsense when charging and also switched off after 20 minutes of use, with big chunks of charging percentage missing once I was able to restart the device...

Still working on letting it go through a few charge cycles. The first charge (via USB) it showed 55%, for the wireless charge session it showed 90%. I think the truth should be somewhere in between, especially since I'm not seeing any wonkiness yet like phone turning off at 50% charge, or with high current draw (tested by watching 720p youtube videos).

Reactions: Sam Nakamura

learlyman

Jun 21, 2015
So something very weird is going on.

If I boot the phone without USB plugged in, it will not charge via either USB or Qi charger. It detects the connection (battery indicator shows lightning bolt) but will not actually charge. The Indicator LED won't turn on, but will turn on red when low on battery.

If I turn the phone off, plug it into USB, let it charge while "off", and turn the phone on while it is still connected, it will charge via both USB and Qi, until I turn it off again. In Lineage, The LED under the top speaker grille will light up blue while charging.

I turned the phone off, unplugged it, and booted into bootloader. There placing it on the Qi charger shows "Battery OK (Charging)", LED not on - as there is no battery charge percentage, I can't determine if it is actually charging.
Booting from Bootloader into TWRP, there is no charging.

I turned the phone off, plugged USB in, booted it, (so charging worked), and then did an advanced reboot into recovery. TWRP shows charging. I unplugged USB and placed the phone on the Qi charger, and charging works here as well.

So, these observations lead me to believe that charging (whether USB or Qi) is only working if the phone is charging before booting it.

Is it possible that some hardware component necessary for charging (a charge controller, one could say) has to be initialized in order to allow charging, and this only happens properly when the phone is booted into "offline charging" mode, and it then stays initialized until the phone is turned off - but when the phone is turned on while "fully" off, Lineage fails to initialize this?

Do I need to reflash or am I jumping to conclusions?

githyanki

Mar 11, 2009
Edmonton
So something very weird is going on.

If I boot the phone without USB plugged in, it will not charge via either USB or Qi charger. It detects the connection (battery indicator shows lightning bolt) but will not actually charge. The Indicator LED won't turn on, but will turn on red when low on battery.

If I turn the phone off, plug it into USB, let it charge while "off", and turn the phone on while it is still connected, it will charge via both USB and Qi, until I turn it off again. In Lineage, The LED under the top speaker grille will light up blue while charging.

I turned the phone off, unplugged it, and booted into bootloader. There placing it on the Qi charger shows "Battery OK (Charging)", LED not on - as there is no battery charge percentage, I can't determine if it is actually charging.
Booting from Bootloader into TWRP, there is no charging.

I turned the phone off, plugged USB in, booted it, (so charging worked), and then did an advanced reboot into recovery. TWRP shows charging. I unplugged USB and placed the phone on the Qi charger, and charging works here as well.

So, these observations lead me to believe that charging (whether USB or Qi) is only working if the phone is charging before booting it.

Is it possible that some hardware component necessary for charging (a charge controller, one could say) has to be initialized in order to allow charging, and this only happens properly when the phone is booted into "offline charging" mode, and it then stays initialized until the phone is turned off - but when the phone is turned on while "fully" off, Lineage fails to initialize this?

Do I need to reflash or am I jumping to conclusions?
Check the charging port for lint or something.
Use a toothpick to clean in there.

Elektroschmock

Recognized Developer
Dec 25, 2010
Winnenden
Nexus 7 (2013)
Nexus 6
looks like lineage os is no longer supporting 15.1! so sad!

https://www.lineageoslog.com/15.1/shamu

"The selected device is not currently supported in LineageOS 15.1 .... RIP Oreo"

I gave you a heads up some weeks ago.
15.1 is still supported, but there won't be automated builds anymore. You can still build it yourself - the guide is pretty straightforward.
Sorry that I can't do more for users still relying on 15.1 builds, but I am running aut of time and discspace.

dbrickg

Feb 11, 2012
15.1 is still supported, but there won't be automated builds anymore. You can still build it yourself - the guide is pretty straightforward.
Sorry that I can't do more for users still relying on 15.1 builds, but I am running aut of time and discspace.

Yes, I understood. Thanks. And thank you for all your efforts keeping it afloat. Nevertheless, it's always a bit of a shock when something you love goes away, even though you *knew* it was going to :(

mrk2815

May 16, 2012
burbank
i figuredt that over time it would be best to be current as possible with whatever developer would support nexus 6 through whatever rom. at least we do have a lineage 16. those jus move on to lineage 16. til we havea stable lineage 17.1 for our device. our device will be 6 years now and still receiving support is a blessing to us. most developers afte a certain amount of time move on to the next thing or device.

thetallguy

Nov 21, 2012
Auckland

Yes we were warned and yes I am OK with it. I have been staying on 15.1 for two reasons. The first is obvious, the Voice over LTE. But actually down here in the South Pacific I have never had the ability to use VoLTE anyway. The three providers here never implemented VoLTE until they started installing 5G recently. I suppose 5G makes it compulsory. The provider of my prepaid SIM recently announced they have improved sound quality. But in the fine print they say it is limited to about 4 models which they currently sell in their shop, conservative buggers. I still can't use it. Rant over.
The other is that Google limited the rate of WiFi access point scanning in Androind 9, making apps like WiFi Analyzer less useful. I like to find out what is nearby before picking a channel on my own AP and keep an eye on changes in the neighbourhood.
Many thanks for keeping our Nexus 6s viable. Mine has outlasted my friend's Nexus 6P which has had all of the battery/charging and bootloop issues known in that model. Mine also has the original battery still going OK. I will upgrade to LineageOS 16.0.

Reactions: dbrickg

woodcarver

Nov 8, 2015
Huge thanks for all the hard work! Can anyone tell me if 16 is as smooth as 15.1 now? I had lag and dropped frames in animations/swipes back in December or so.

Reactions: 0sA

dwardo

Jan 15, 2011
France
Asus Transformer TF700
Nexus 6
Thanks for building 15.1!! Would you mind posting your 15.1 builds here in the 15.1 thread or start a new thread? Do you plan to give continuous updates?
I can indeed post them here from now on... I guess I can rebuild whenever @Elektroschmock informs he's pushed something worth it or someone sees there have been security updates to 15.1 that are worth a recompile.

ProBird79

Jan 13, 2008
I can indeed post them here from now on... I guess I can rebuild whenever @Elektroschmock informs he's pushed something worth it or someone sees there have been security updates to 15.1 that are worth a recompile.

I tried a clean flash using Open GApps stock and get a black screen with the back arrow during setup (after the choice of setting up as new or restore from the cloud). I can't proceed further.

Last edited:

razorloves

Sep 19, 2007
Miami
Google Nexus 5
Nexus 9
I tried a clean flash using Open GApps stock and get a black screen with the back arrow during setup (after the choice of setting up as new or restore from the cloud). I can't proceed further.
That's a known opengapps issue.
The Chrome apk in arm opengapps has been broken since march 17. (their zip building script is stripping the certificate from the Chrome apk, which results in android rejecting it so it fails to install)
That black screen happens in setupwizard when webview is missing, and webview is provided by the Chrome apk in stock opengapps.
Just use an older opengapps build (before 17 march) and it will work fine.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/opengapps/files/arm/20200311/

UPDATE: It's fixed now so you can use current builds.
https://gitlab.opengapps.org/opengapps/arm/-/merge_requests/3

Last edited:

0sA

Apr 21, 2013
There will be any further unofficiall updates or we have to move to LOS 16 or 17? ;)

Wysłane z mojego Nexus 6 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    LineageOS is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of android, which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock android for your device.

All the source code for LineageOS is available in the LineageOS Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to LineageOS, please visit our Wiki.

Important Info
    DON'T USE TWRP 3.0.2-0 OR OLDER WITH LINEAGEOS. IT DOES NOT WORK CORRECTLY. USE VERSION 3.2.1.0 HERE

Current lineage 15.1 shamu nightlies are based on the N6F27M October 2017 update from google.
    So you should be using the radio and bootloader img from that update.
    If you already have those you don't need to flash them again.
    They can be extracted from the factory image on google's site here.
    Or you can use the ones linked below that I already extracted:

radio-shamu-d4.01-9625-05.45+fsg-9625-02.117.img
    bootloader-shamu-moto-apq8084-72.04.img

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR VERIZON USERS: Google released a separate October 2017 security update (NGI77B) just for verizon users that has a different radio. So you'll want to flash it. I repeat, THIS RADIO IS JUST FOR VERIZON USERS.

radio-shamu-d4.01-9625-05.51+fsg-9625-02.118.img

You can use fastboot to flash the bootloader and radio.

More information and installation instructions can be found on the LineageOS wiki here.

Download Links
    LineageOS OFFICIAL: https://download.lineageos.org/shamu
    As you will see it is no longer available and there will be no new OFFICIAL builds as shamu has been promoted to LineageOS 18.1.
    Seems an archive of the official 15.1 builds is here. To check official signature you can follow this guide

LineageOS UNOFFICIAL: lineage-15.1-20220301-UNOFFICIAL-shamu.zip
    Includes the now (no longer official from now on as per comments here) non official February 2022 security bulletins.
    Here is its md5sum.

Google apps: MindTheGapps or OpenGAPPS <= nano

HEADS UP:
    • When you initially install LineageOS, be sure you flash the gapps package with your ROM. If you boot your ROM, then go back and try to flash gapps after, you're gonna have a bad time.
    • If you are migrating from an OFFICIAL build to the UNOFFICIAL build you have 2 options:
      1. Wipe data and do a clean install of UNOFFICIAL build
      2. Dirty flash thanks to an intermediate MIGRATION build
        First flash the MIGRATION build (lineage-15.1-20200501-MIGRATION-shamu.zip md5sum), boot to it and then flash the UNOFFICIAL build and boot to it.

SU addon zip: Addon Install zip / Addon Removal zip
    NOTE: LineageOS does not come with root, so this is now provided for those that want it.
    The install zip is a one time flash, like gapps.
    Meaning, it persists when updating to a new LineageOS nightly.

Changelog

Builddate: 2018.07.17
    Changes:
    [new] Full featured, binderized power HAL with support for following power profiles:
    - Power save => Maximum of 2 cores online, max. freq limited to 1,036 GHz
    - Bias power => Up to 4 cores online, max. freq limited to 1,036 GHz
    - Balanced => Up to 4 cores online, no freq limits
    - Bias performance => Up to 4 cores online, min freq limited to 1,19 GHz
    - Performance => 4 cores online always at 2,6 GHz
    [new] Core hotplugging through new mpdecision

Known Issues:
    [bug] Trusted voice is not working and probably never will
    [bug] TWRP is not able do decrypt your data if you encrypted it with lineage-15.1
    [bug] Not every app is compatible with the expanded desctop feature. If you have ranndom problems to turn on your device
    disable expanded desktop for the app

Older Changelogs:

Builddate: 2018.06.19
    Changes:
    [new] Full RGB brightness support

Builddate: 2018.06.12
    Changes:
    [new] LineageOS's Trust
    [new] Spectre V1 patches
    [new] june security fixes
    [fix unconfirmed] Camera app 'missing' on some devices

Builddate: 2018.05.28
    Changes:
    [new] Option to check proximity sensor before device is woken up with dt2w
    [new] Stereo recording in all available formats
    [fix] DRM is now L1
    [fix] SU hiding is now working properly

Builddate: 2018.05.21
    Changes:
    [new] New BT power management driver with less wakelocks

Builddate: 2018.04.30
    Changes:
    [new] Stereo recording
    [new] Ability to edit apn regardless of carrier

Builddate: 2018.04.23
    Changes:
    [fixed] DRM now working on L3

Builddate: 2018.04.16
    Changes:
    [fixed] Netflix not working: DRM issue
    [fixed] Camcorder audio too low
    [new] Get rid of forceencryption
    [new] BCL not turning of core 2 and 3 at ~40 % battery anymore
    We're limiting the max frequency instead

Builddate: 2018.04.12
    Changes:
    [fixed] Double touch to wake
    [fixed] Power HAL loading
    [fixed] Vendor image mismatch notification popping up every boot
    [new] Optimized boot latemounting of data and cache

Known Issues:
    [bug] Netflix not working: DRM issue
    [bug] Camcorder audio too low

Builddate: 2018.04.02
    Known Issues:
    [bug] Vendor image mismatch notification popping up every boot. Just ignore it
    [bug] touch to wake is not working

XDA:DevDB Information
    LineageOS, ROM for the Nexus 6

Contributors
    Elektroschmock, Elektroschmock, dwardo
    ROM OS Version: 8.x Oreo
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.10.x

Version Information
    Nightly

Created 2018-04-04
    Last Updated 2020-11-14
    Just a small heads up for those of you who wait for LineageOS 16.0.
    It seems like I have fixed the encryption issue. :D
    So there's one blocker less on our road to 16.0.
    Just a quick heads up:

I'll be away the next 3 weeks and will only have limited internet access.
    So no need to worry that I have abandoned our beloved shamu.
    Shamu for Elektroschmok getting ready for shipping :)

Sent from my taimen using XDA Labs

PS
    Shipped, should reach Elektro by Saturday or Monday.
    Anyway, just a quick one, is there any chance that the prevent accidental wake up feature could be added to this rom? I know the LG G3 lineage 15.1 rom supports it, so assume it's already built in lineage os. It uses the proximity sensor to prevent the phone from waking if it is covered.

I find with double tap to wake and also lift to check phone features on, the phone likes to open in my pocket and start calling people at random .

The sensor can be enabled with the screen off. Whenever I want to pick up my phone without having "lift to wake" kick in I'll do so with my thumb covering the sensor... Works every time. :) However, DTTW is a different story, proximity will prevent it occasionally, but often won't (it actually doesn't work more than it does). This is not a LOS thing or even an Oreo thing, it has always been like this.

Bottom line, the proximity sensor does work with the screen off, but not reliably enough to prevent bum dialing when DTTW is set.

Good news! I managed to fix our proximity check on wake.
    The main problem was that our touchscreen driver was sending a KEY_POWER instead of KEY_WAKEUP event. That is the equivalent of a power key press.
    Of course the proximity sensor shouldn't block a power key press. :D

I fixed it with this commit:
    https://review.lineageos.org/#/c/LineageOS/android_kernel_moto_shamu/+/216440/

and enabled the feature with this commit:
    https://review.lineageos.org/#/c/LineageOS/android_device_moto_shamu/+/216439/

I need some testing, but I hope I can get it in for today's build.