Hello everyone, this is my personal kernel for the Nexus 6P. While I am not a super star kernel developer, I do know my way around it. My philosophy on kernels is pretty simple:
- Follow upstream Linux always
- Stable kernel rules work best
- Security and stability are paramount
- Features will be added only as needed
- I refuse to acknowledge/respond to bug reports that do not include clear steps to reproduce, a logcat, and a console ramoops (if random rebooting) or a dmesg (any other issues). Follow this guide to do this. More on bug reporting policy here.
- Keep things civil, I do NOT tolerate flaming of any kind.
- OT is allowed.
Here are the major features of the kernel (feel free to explore Github)
- Updated to the latest security patch (August)
- Updated to the latest Linux upstream version (3.10.107)
- Several CVE fixes
- Upstream patches from CAF and Linux
- Touchboost force disabled
- High brightness mode
- KCAL color control
- Adreno Boost
- Wake gestures (sweep2wake, doubletap2wake, sweep2sleep, and camera launch gesture)
- Faux Sound Control with high performance audio
- ZRAM from 3.18
- Maple I/O scheduler
- Wakelock controls
- TCP algorithms: bic, cubic, highspeed, htcp, hybia, illinois, lp, reno, scalable, vegas, veno, westwood (default)
- F2FS support (latest from here)
- Compiled with a Linaro 7.1.1 toolchain built with crosstool-NG (located here).
- Makefile optimizations (courtesy of @adinkwok)
- Forced encryption and dm-verity disabled
- Hides bootloader unlock from SafetyNet (can still fail through other means)
- Flashed with AnyKernel2 (thanks to @osm0sis)
7.1.2 (v1.x-v2.x): http://nchancellor.net/Downloads/Kernels/angler
Do not mirror my kernels!
If you are on stock:
- If you are on the stock kernel: flash the kernel zip and reboot
- If you are on a custom kernel: flash the stock boot image matching your build number, flash the kernel zip, and reboot
If you are on a custom ROM:
- If you are on the kernel that came with your ROM: flash the kernel zip and reboot
- If you are on a custom kernel: dirty flash your ROM zip, flash the kernel zip, and reboot
Upgrading from one Flash version to the other:
Just flash the kernel zip and reboot
Frequently asked questions
1.1 Q: I am having an issue, can you help me?
1.1 A: I am not an amazing kernel developer but I will certainly try my best. First, start by reading the release posts, as I may make note of a particular issue. Also search the thread to see if I have discussed it before. If you see nothing, please provide me with a dmesg/last_kmsg and logcat, your ROM/kernel version, and a detailed description of the issue, following this guide. If I can't reproduce reliably though, I'm not going to fix the issue.
1.2 Q: Can you add xyz feature?
1.2 A: If you link me the commits or tell me what kernel you had the feature in, I can take a look at them. I will not go digging super hard for commits and I will ignore requests that don't include this information. I won't promise that I will merge every request but I will always take it into consideration.
1.3 Q: How do I control the kernel?
1.3 A: I'd recommend using either @flar2's EX Kernel Manager or @Yoinx's Kernel Adiutor-Mod; both are extremely solid and have given me no issues.
1.4 Q: What ROM are you on? What are your settings?
1.4 A: Currently, I am on Dirty Unicorns and my settings are available here
1.5 Q: OMFG MY BATTERY SUXXXX PLS FIX!!!
1.5 A: The kernel doesn't drain any battery, use an app like BetterBatteryStats to figure out what app is screwing with your phone.
@neobuddy89 for always providing great fixes and being a shining example of a great kernel developer
The various other developers for their patches (@ak, @Buckmarble, @flar2, @franciscofranco, @frap129, @imoseyon, and @Yank555 to name a few)
@osm0sis for AnyKernel2
@DespairFactor for helping me with some kernel compilation issues
@kwoktopus for giving me good advice on Makefile flags and other patches
@kantjer for being a beta tester along the way!
@malybru for my nifty new signature!
@phantom146 for the thread banner and default profile GlassCannon
All of you guys for viewing the thread
A note about donations
Quite a few people have asked to donate to me in the past and I have turned them down. I am not in this for the money, this is my hobby, something I truly enjoy. If you truly want to donate to something (it is not expected in the slightest), I recommend an entity like the Open Source Initiative, the Free Software Foundation, XDA, or any one of the people I have thanked in the OP. Additionally, you are free to copy any and all of my work; the only thing I request is that you not ask for donations as well (though I can't really enforce this lol). Thank you.
Kernel source links
DISCLAIMER: I openly welcome off topic in my threads. Mods, please do not clean off topic discussion and users, do not complain about off topic discussion here. I may direct you to another thread if it is so suited but I won't have the discussion cleaned. Thank you.
Flash Kernel, Kernel for the Huawei Nexus 6P
Source Code: https://github.com/nathanchance/angler
Kernel Special Features:
Current Stable Version: v2.5
Stable Release Date: 2017-08-15
Last Updated 2017-08-19