Hello everyone! Some of you might recognize me from the Xthermal Fast Charge thread, where I had earlier created and posted unified zips for modifying the stock thermal config file on the Nexus 6P, combining the work of two different mods, namely CTTMod and Xthermal Fast Charge Mod.
Since I was earlier maintaining my unified zips in the Xthermal Fast Charge Mod thread, I have now decided to create a separate thread for them since there is still interest and I don't want to unnecessarily clutter somebody else's thread. Let's get straight to it then!
CTTMod - Thread Link
- When CTTMod was initially released, it changed certain values in Nexus 6P's stock thermal file to raise the temperatures at which the phone would start to use thermal throttling. This change led to an increased overall performance and the phone could be used for a longer period of time without any crippling of performance due to thermal throttling, at the cost of heat. Therefore, after using this mod, the phone would feel slightly warmer as compared to how it would've felt if this mod had not been used, but with higher sustained performance.
- When Xthermal Fast Charge Mod was initially released, it also changed certain values in Nexus 6P's stock thermal file to raise the temperatures which prevented the charging current to exceed a certain value (usually ~1500 mAh to 1700 mAh) even though the stock OEM charger was capable of delivering a current upto 3000 mAh. This change led to an increased average current drawn (~2600 mAh to 2800 mAh), thereby leading to a decrease in the time taken by the phone to charge, again, at the cost of heat. Thus, a faster fast charge.
- Since both the base mods target the same stock thermal file, they can't be used together and using one would override the changes done by the other. In other words, one can only use CTTMod or the Xthermal Fast Charge Mod, exclusively. My unified thermal mod provides a workaround for this by taking the best from both of the above mentioned mods and combining their changes into one file, packaged into a Magisk module/TWRP flashable zip, so that one can take the advantage of both, increased performance due to an increase in thermal throttling temperature limits as well as a faster fast charge.
- Nexus 6P
- All ROMs
- Android Marshmallow 6.x.x
- Android Nougat 7.x.x
- Android Oreo 8.x.x
- Android Pie 9.x.x
Important Read-Me Points
- In case you wish to install the modified libraries directly in the system partition and not as a Magisk module, then add "sysover" (without the quotes) to the zip name and flash it via TWRP.
- The zip will abort the installation if you try to flash it on any other device except the Nexus 6P and if you aren't running Android Marshmallow, Nougat, Oreo or Pie.
- The zip auto-detects your Android version and installs the correct modified thermal configuration file automatically.
- To uninstall the mod, just reflash the zip via TWRP and it will undo any changes it did (whether installed as a Magisk module or directly in the system partition).
- The mod only works with the stock OEM charger. If you're using a third party charger (irrespective of the fact whether it supports Qualcomm QuickCharge or any other fast charge capability) this mod won't work.
- The lower your battery percentage is, the faster your phone will charge, i.e. as the battery charge percentage increases, the current drawn by the phone will decrease. This is stock behaviour.
- The mod doesn't change the USB charge current. That is controlled by the kernel.
- Regarding the thermal driver, it is preferred that you enable msm_thermal and disable core_control for effective results. However, if doing that causes issues for you (for example, cores don't come online automatically after going offline while using msm_thermal), then disable msm_thermal and enable core_control via a kernel tuning app, like EX Kernel Manager.
- If possible, avoid playing games/use performance heavy apps while the phone is charging. Doing so won't cause any issues, but it is preferred not to do so while the phone is on charge.
- I am not the original developer of the base mods used, i.e. CTTMod and Xthermal Fast Charge Mod. I merely combined the two since they couldn't be used together. I take no credit for the original work. Please direct all your thanks and/or donations towards @Robshr and @ravinder0003, the original developers of the mods.
- You are doing this at your own risk. I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please do some research if you are unsure of how to go about something.
- @Robshr, for his work on the original CTTMod
- @ravinder0003, for his work on the original Xthermal Fast Charge Mod
- @Zackptg5, for Unity Installer and all the work he's ever done for the community
- @topjohnwu, for Magisk and all the work he's ever done for the community
- All of you guys for viewing this thread and using the mod
- v1.0 - Initial release for Magisk v14.0
- v1.1 - Updated to include changes from CTTMod's latest release for Android 8.x Oreo
- v2.0 - Update for Magisk v15.0
- v3.0 - Update for Magisk v17.0
- v4.0 - Updated the zip base to the Unity Installer template
Thread Update Information
- Created: September 15, 2017
- Last Updated: April 7, 2019