[TOOL][HOW-TO] [Nexus 6P] Bootloop of Death (BLOD) Workaround [Flashable Zip]

Search This thread

metalhead2175

Mar 1, 2018
Nexus 6p not booting in recovery mode (bootloop unlocked )

Hi Everyone,
It's been 5 days am day n night trying to fix and keep of reading articles but still hard luck.Please answer my few questions which will clear my mind.
1. What cause bootloop basically in 6P ?
2.It can be repair through hardware ? if Yes then how ?
Scenario :
I followed this article https://www.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p-bootloop-fix/ and flashed N2G48B_4Cores.img which happened successfully but i didnt flashed twrp3.I thought it was optional and i will not experiment but after 13 hours. it again went to bootloop now i again run terminal and whole procedure but phone is not reacting at all just on logo with lock.When tried recovery it showed no command in videos but mine is just rebooting with bootloader unlocked warning and then google logo with lock.
I tried to install twrp through terminal using this article https://xdaforums.com/nexus-6p/general/guides-how-to-guides-beginners-t3206928
but phone reacting to commands.

Android version was 8

Please Help.I am looking forward for help.
Regards,
Danish

Lukeet33

Oct 15, 2017
Any news on time scale of blod update fix will take? Thanks for your development keeping our devices alive

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Hi Everyone,
It's been 5 days am day n night trying to fix and keep of reading articles but still hard luck.Please answer my few questions which will clear my mind.
1. What cause bootloop basically in 6P ?
2.It can be repair through hardware ? if Yes then how ?
Scenario :
I followed this article https://www.xda-developers.com/nexus-6p-bootloop-fix/ and flashed N2G48B_4Cores.img which happened successfully but i didnt flashed twrp3.I thought it was optional and i will not experiment but after 13 hours. it again went to bootloop now i again run terminal and whole procedure but phone is not reacting at all just on logo with lock.When tried recovery it showed no command in videos but mine is just rebooting with bootloader unlocked warning and then google logo with lock.
I tried to install twrp through terminal using this article https://xdaforums.com/nexus-6p/general/guides-how-to-guides-beginners-t3206928
but phone reacting to commands.

Android version was 8

Please Help.I am looking forward for help.
Regards,
Danish

I noticed you mentioned trying other methods but not this method. Give it a try.

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
Any news on time scale of blod update fix will take? Thanks for your development keeping our devices alive

Never ask for ETAs. But to reiterate what I've already said, I'm busy and won't be able to get to it for several weeks.

Use any ROM build from before they switched to system-as-root and the existing BLOD zip will still work just fine. Common sense, people.

bangeko

Mar 31, 2011
Bekasi
I unlocked my bootloader by flashing this file

Here you go: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Vf883MXGSYIFY-C6f1j8AC6AU-QI_rSH

I'll leave that up a couple months. Just a FYI, I just updated and wiped my 6P to prep for sale before you sent this. The case has some dings, no scratches on the front glass, a few scuffs on the back glass but doesn't affect pictures. It does need the battery replaced, it has the original battery. I haven't decided if I was gonna put it on Swappa or Ebay. Older phones on Swappa don't seem to sell.

Since my Nexus is not hardbricked I have to put it on 9008 mode by testpoint.

And the next steps are in this thread.

Attachments

• TestpointNexus6P.jpg
    TestpointNexus6P.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 184

metalhead2175

Mar 1, 2018
after flashing rom i flash blod and get error of " unknown ram compression format U

I noticed you mentioned trying other methods but not this method. Give it a try.

after flashing rom i flashed injector as per direction and get error of " unknown ram compression format Updater process ended with ERROR: 1
Detailed coz it's been 11 days but failed
Please help please please

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Never ask for ETAs. But to reiterate what I've already said, I'm busy and won't be able to get to it for several weeks.

Use any ROM build from before they switched to system-as-root and the existing BLOD zip will still work just fine. Common sense, people.

after flashing rom i flashed injector as per direction and get error of " unknown ram compression format Updater process ended with ERROR: 1

bigcelo75

Oct 22, 2012
Rio de Janeiro

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Unfortunately the patch no longer works for ROMs that are now system-as-root. For now you aren't going to be able to update. Go back to the last version prior to system-as-root was implemented.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: osm0sis

Lawlrus

Nov 20, 2013

Too much to ask for new users to read a page or two of posts? Hell if you read the last four or five posts you would seen the new builds have issues with it.

Reactions: osm0sis

DirtyPants

Aug 24, 2019
ok so i got a problem today my phone started to bootloop i want to wipe cache via cmd exe screen but says permission denied. I think its because of password. İ cant go in to twrp phone bootloops again. Any suggestions? phone is rooted on stock oreo. tried 4 core but didnt do anything.

Last edited:

Ivan1967

Oct 12, 2019
I've bought a Nexus 6P, with locked bootloader and screen password. Took me three months to fix it, but I wish I've had today's brain. Tried heating and freezin, just a waste of time and burned my rear camera lens, now it's blurry. Just had to wait till battery drains out and the phone booted like it should. I've been installing the last OTA recovery all the time to waste my time, rebooting and suddenly it went to Andoid. But, you have only 10 or more/less minutes to fix the bootloader and USB debugging, in my case I've had to remove screen password and FRP, too (previous owner refused to pass me the details). From second try, I successed following youtube flicks from some guy from India. The magic is not to put it on charger when it boots in Android (overheating), try to unlock bootloader and enable USB debugging in those ten minutes. After that, followed the guide to install Pixel Experience version of Android 10, 8 or 4 cores, just try. It's still working, but rear camera is busted and the battery must not fall under the 30%, starts acting weird. This is a cool phone and I can get everything what I need from it, I'll get over the newest games and stuff.

osm0sis

Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4

The time has come! I've uploaded the new AnyKernel3-powered BLOD Workaround zip to the OP, and it should be working on both the system-as-root (SAR) and 2 stage init (2SI) ROMs that maintainers for these devices have switched to in order to support Android 10 (and in some cases have done so on Pie as well)! :victory:

My development work on my many projects comes out of my free time, so if you enjoy this project or anything else I've done on xda, please consider sponsoring my ongoing work using my GitHub Sponsors profile. For a one-time donation you can hit the donate link from my profile. Thank you for your support!

I'm going to leave the AK2 zip up for posterity, so note the new zip's naming: N5X-6P_BLOD_Workaround_Injector_Addon-AK3-signed.zip

A source repo for the updated zip is also available going forward: https://github.com/osm0sis/N5X-6P-BLOD-Workaround-Injector

Note that in my testing on my N5X FBE didn't seem to be supported on Android 10 for us so far (I had to format data instead and opted to stay unencrypted), so I've added a note about just using the old 4core FBE recovery to update to the latest official TWRP as well.

Sorry again for the wait, but I had to go get married and go on my honeymoon first. :D

Last edited:

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
The time has come! I've uploaded the new AnyKernel3-powered BLOD Workaround zip to the OP, and it should be working on both the system-as-root (SAR) and 2 stage init (2SI) ROMs that maintainers for these devices have switched to in order to support Android 10 (and in some cases have done so on Pie as well)! :victory:

My development work on my many projects comes out of my free time, so if you enjoy this project or anything else I've done on xda, please do hit the donate link from my profile. Thank you for your support!

I'm going to leave the AK2 zip up for posterity, so note the new zip's naming: N5X-6P_BLOD_Workaround_Injector_Addon-AK3-signed.zip

A source repo for the updated zip is also available going forward: https://github.com/osm0sis/N5X-6P-BLOD-Workaround-Injector

Note that in my testing on my N5X FBE didn't seem to be supported on Android 10 so far (I had to format data instead and opted to stay unencrypted), so I've added a note about just using the old FBE recovery to update to the latest official TWRP as well.

Sorry again for the wait, but I had to go get married and go on my honeymoon first. :D

Thank you so very much. Your hard work and efforts are really, really appreciated, not only on this but on all your projects. :good:

Hope your wedding was a beautiful one and your honeymoon romantic and relaxing. Congrats again :)

P.S. Your BLOD fix has kept my Angler going for around 15 months now (knock on wood). Not too shabby :)

Last edited:

osm0sis

Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
My GitHub Sponsors profile just went live, so please do take a look at the link below - they're even matching the first year of funding for everyone! :D

As you might know, I work on these projects in my limited time off, so if you like the progress I'm making, or enjoy anything else I've done on xda, please consider sponsoring my ongoing work using my GitHub Sponsors profile. For a one-time donation you can hit the donate link from my profile. Thanks for your support!

nauraza

Nov 17, 2019
UPDATE: Just flashed a Q rom and everything worked perfectly. (I did patch the modified 3.3.1-0 FBE TWRP that came with the rom with the workaround.zip and formatted /data before booting). No problems whatsoever. Great job and thanks again :good:

Do you mind to share the exact ROM you are using and translate the step 1 by 1 correspond to OP please?

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
Do you mind to share the exact ROM you are using and translate the step 1 by 1 correspond to OP please?
AOSiP DerpFest Q
Flashed 3.3.1-0 FBE TWRP that comes with the rom
Immediately flashed the new workaround.zip
Reboot into TWRP
Wiped /data/cache/dalvik/system
Flashed Rom
Formatted /data in TWRP
Flash workaround.zip
Boot

Optional:
Rebooted back into TWRP
Flashed Magisk 20.1
Flashed the new workaround.zip
Reboot

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bootloop of Death (BLOD) Workaround AnyKernel3 zip for Nexus 6P

Guys.. bad news.. my Nexus 5X just got hit with the BLOD. 😢

Good news for everyone is I spent a bit of time tonight to first patch TWRP 3.2.1-0-FBE (File-Based Encryption support) image to be 4core, then made an AnyKernel2 zip which will patch the existing boot and recovery partitions on-device to add all the 4core fixes from @XCnathan32.

Should work over any ROM, any custom kernel, recovery, etc., can be added in queue after ROM, root zip + custom kernel to patch it from TWRP or FlashFire (so good for OTAs), and simplifies the initial process greatly since you can now fastboot boot any 4core recovery.img and then adb sideload my AK3 zip to fix the likely newer recovery you already had on your device. 👍
    Original thread posts: Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P

Now updated to an AnyKernel3 zip to support the SAR (system-as-root) and 2SI (2 stage init) ROMs that have popped up for Pie and Android 10+!

General Information

If you've found this thread then I'm sure you probably already know what the Bootloop of Death is - separation of the performance (perf) CPU cores - and that the only way to recover from it is to unlock your bootloader and patch to disable the faulty cluster. If you have not enabled unlocking your bootloader yet, the known methods to get it to boot long enough so you can go to System, then Developer Options and toggle "OEM unlocking" are:
    • super cooling the device in a freezer in a ziplock bag to keep out moisture,
    • super heating around the camera, and
    • letting the battery run all the way down before trying to boot.
    For further details on these methods check out the original threads by @XCnathan32, linked in the "Thanks" section.

Some important notes before going any further:
    • Freezing at the Google logo likely points to it being perf cluster separation, but this could also be caused by other components separating.
    • Freezing at the boot animation suggests ROM/ROM data problem or could also potentially be a BLOD with other components now beginning to separate and that's what people have reported when the 4core mods suddenly stop working with no configuration changes - if you've tried the default boot.img for your ROM, patched with the BLOD AK3 and it still doesn't work, sorry but your device is a brick.
    • If no 4core recovery boots for you then you definitely have more components than just the performance cores separated, sorry but your device is a brick.
    • I haven't seen anyone say their devices only worked using a "1core" modification who had tried a proper 4core patched setup; 4core makes sense because it's the separate perf cores cluster becoming unsoldered, but if the 4 low power cores cluster also starts to come unsoldered logically not even a single core would work.. I think that's where the "Green Screen Of Death" comes into it.
    • DemiGod = Green Screen Of Death; unfortunately this (more components separating given more time - maybe the flash memory chip?) is why many call the 4core workaround only temporary.. there's not much that can be done after that from what I've read.
    • EX Kernel does not support FBE on these devices because the EX zip patches the fstab forcefdeorfbe flag to encryptable.
    • Android 10 does not appear to support FBE on these devices but the 4core FBE TWRP build can be used to BLOD patch the latest TWRP (see instructions in next post).

On Oreo, I was personally on stock ROM still, FBE enabled, rooted with SuperSU v2.82 SR5 + suhide and the latest Franco Kernel on my 5X. Then I bumped up the min freq on the low perf cores and it's working great - totally fine for general use, just anything creating a bit of heat like games maxing the low power cores for awhile, or charging, will make it pretty painfully laggy and risk further solder deterioration.

Even though SuperSU development is ostensibly dead, I still strongly recommend it on BLOD-affected devices using stock ROM for reasons I'll explain below.

My development work on my many projects comes out of my free time, so if you enjoy this project or anything else I've done on xda, please consider sponsoring my ongoing work using my GitHub Sponsors profile. For a one-time donation you can hit the donate link from my profile. Thank you for your support!

Step-By-Step Installation Instructions

• Any quoted commands should be entered without quotes
    1) Download and unzip platform-tools for your PC from https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html
    2) Navigate to https://androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=312881 (also mirrored below) and download N5X-6P_BLOD_Workaround_Injector_Addon-AK3-signed.zip to your platform-tools folder as well as
    2a) twrp-3.2.1-0-fbe-4core-bullhead.img (Nexus 5X), or​
    2b) twrp-3.2.1-0-fbe-4core-angler.img (Nexus 6P)​
    3) Hold Shift + right-click on your platform-tools folder and
    3a) Open a command window here (Windows <10), or​
    3b) Open a PowerShell window here, then enter "cmd" at the Windows PowerShell prompt (Windows 10+)
    4) Reboot your phone to bootloader and connect it to your PC with a USB cable
    5) Enter "fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-0-fbe-4core-angler.img" into the cmd prompt
    6) Reboot your phone to recovery and tap Advanced, then ADB Sideload
    7) Enter "adb sideload N5X-6P_BLOD_Workaround_Injector_Addon-AK3-signed.zip" into the cmd prompt
    8) Reboot and cross your fingers that it works

For information how to seamlessly update to stock and custom ROM OTAs, see the following post

Source Code: https://github.com/osm0sis/N5X-6P-BLOD-Workaround-Injector

- @XCnathan32 for researching and developing the 4core workarounds for both the Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P
    - chetgurevitch (GitHub) for the original FBE supporting TWRP builds
    - @Aukaminator for the original step-by-step write-up
    Update Flashing Instructions
    • Keep N5X-6P_BLOD_Workaround_Injector_Addon-AK3-signed.zip on your device sdcard, henceforth referred to as BLOD AK3 zip
    The correct manual order for a clean flash is: ROM -> root -> custom kernel -> BLOD AK3

Always flash the BLOD AK3 zip last!

Reflashing the BLOD AK3 zip will likely be required after anything that could modify the boot.img or recovery.img, including (but not limited to): ROM updates, custom kernel updates, custom recovery updates.

ROMs:
    • On custom ROMs with built-in Flash After Update (i.e. OmniROM-based), place your root (if using SuperSU), custom kernel and BLOD AK3 zip in /sdcard/OpenDelta/FlashAfterUpdate/ ensuring the BLOD AK3 is last in the directory listing so that they will be flashed after each update.

• On custom ROMs that do not have built-in Flash After Update (i.e. LineageOS-based), you may add my FlashAfterUpdate addon.d script to /system/addon.d/ and then place your root (if using SuperSU), custom kernel and BLOD AK3 zip in /sdcard/FlashAfterUpdate/ ensuring the BLOD AK3 is last for the same effect: flashed after every OTA. (y):)

• On stock ROM rooted with SuperSU (SuperSU v2.82-SR5 recommended) instead of tapping "Reboot & Install" once the OTA is downloaded you should use @Chainfire's excellent FlashFire app to queue the OTA from /data/ota_package/update_s.zip then queue the SuperSU zip, custom kernel and BLOD AK3 zip, ensuring the BLOD AK3 is last. This is how I have mine set up, since this is by far the most seamless. Be sure to disable EverRoot since SuperSU v2.82-SR5 is newer than the SuperSU included in FlashFire.

• On stock ROM rooted with Magisk you must uninstall Magisk from within Magisk Manager to restore your stock boot.img, reboot the ROM to restore your stock recovery partition, tap "Reboot & Install" once the OTA is downloaded, then go through the steps above to flash the 4core TWRP and BLOD AK3 zip again. I definitely recommend SuperSU on this device to avoid the hassle of unrooting and/or messing with factory images.

Kernels:
    • Custom kernels can be flashed from an app like Franco Kernel Manager & Updater, which can be set to flash without reboot for Franco Kernel updates, or "Flash only" can be chosen in the manual flasher. The FK app supports all types of AnyKernel3 zip so the BLOD AK3 zip may then be flashed after the custom kernel zip to repatch the new kernel's ramdisk.

• For other kernel managers that don't support AK3 zips, simply reboot to recovery and flash the BLOD AK3 zip from there to repatch before attempting to boot the ROM again. Also see above under "stock ROM rooted with SuperSU", since FlashFire also works perfectly for this use-case, queuing the custom kernel zip and then the BLOD AK3 zip, with FlashFire's EverRoot option disabled since the device is already rooted.

Recoveries:
    • Download the updated custom recovery .img and, without flashing it, reboot to recovery, use TWRP's flash image feature to flash the new recovery.img, then without rebooting immediately flash the BLOD AK3 zip to patch it. You can then dump/backup the recovery partition if you want it as a recovery.img. Custom recovery updates can also be done from FlashFire, queuing the BLOD AK3 zip afterward, but the "Preserve recovery" feature must be disabled.

• If you prefer to stay on stock recovery for some reason, you can still use TWRP to do the above without flashing TWRP to the device by using "fastboot boot twrp-3.2.1-0-fbe-4core-angler.img".

Changelog

2018-01-15 - Original post in other BLOD threads.
    2018-07-21 - Update AK2 Core+Backend files to latest, add searching of all init.*.rc files for problematic cpuset commands which were popularized by Franco Kernel and are now used by multiple custom kernels. (6758 downloads)
    2019-10-30 - Update to AnyKernel3, add support for SAR and 2SI Treblized ROMs. (1720 downloads)
    2020-01-16 - Update AK3 Core+Backend files to latest to fix AVBv1 signing in recovery on Android 10, update boot_signer-dexed.jar. (570 downloads)
    2020-02-17 - Update AK3 Core+Backend files to latest to fix SAR mount support in fragmented TWRP and Lineage 16+17 Recovery. (1412 downloads)
    2020-05-25 - Update AK3 Core+Backend files to latest to improve SAR mount support in Lineage 17 Recovery and AVBv1 signing. (1789 downloads)
    2021-07-21 - Update AK3 Core+Backend files to latest to support Lineage 18.1 recovery and Android 11 ROMs.

Good luck and enjoy!

Note that in my testing on my N5X FBE didn't seem to be supported on Android 10 for us so far (I had to format data instead and opted to stay unencrypted), so I've added a note about just using the old 4core FBE recovery to update to the latest official TWRP as well.

It seems the basketbuild site is down. Any chance you could throw the modded twrp for oreo and the 4core fix up here?

Same as the guy above. Sites down need mirrors or something?

Mirrored in the OP. Thanks!

Edit: And BasketBuild is also back! :good:
    Hi, dear developer. I use pixel experience ROM in my blod nexus 6p. In the newest update, it has enabled system-as-root. So when i flash blod patch in twrp, it showed "Unknown ramdisk compression". What can i do? Could you help me? Thank you very much.

I tried Crdroid and Carbon also. Somehow it comes through with an error when flashing the patch though the ROM has no problem. Hope someone can shed a light on this.

I also have this "Unknown ramdisk compression" thing when installing BLOD patch over latest Pixel Experience and Bootleggers rom ☹️

Developer, Hello! Please help. Blog blog Nexus 6P displays this error when updating Pixel Experience ROM. "Unknown ramdisk compression".

Well, one more with "Unknown ramdisk compression" after flashing the patch during the installation of the newest versions of almost all the pie roms available for the nexus 6p, so sad.... Any help will be very appreciated.:good:

Wow, super annoying that a ROM would change something fundamental like system-as-root so late in a device's life. :rolleyes:

Basically what happened is this: someone in control of the device trees all these ROMs are based on decided to make the Nexus 6P an A-only system-as-root device, resulting in there being literally no ramdisk in the boot.img anymore. See here: https://source.android.com/devices/bootloader/system-as-root

So, since all the boot-up root / directory stuff is now in the system partition, or possibly even vendor, I'll have to mount at least /system as read-write in recovery as well and patch the init.*.rc files there.

I don't have a lot of time right now, but I do have it on my list to fix. I'll get to it as soon as I can, and if you're frustrated in the meantime you should take your complaints to the ROM developers who should have known this would affect all BLOD devices still in use.