FORUMS

Confirmed hardware defects on Nexus 6P (bootloop) - Temporary fix by heating

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By Kimm_lee, Junior Member on 22nd May 2017, 07:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everyone,

My Nexus 6P got a bootloop issue a week ago. I cannot also access its recovery mode as it returns to a Google logo after doing it. My device had just passed the warranty period for 2 months before it was bricked. Sadly, I decided to buy my 6P because it is branded by Nexus, i.e., Google.

I initially thought that the bootloop issue was from the software update to Nougat since the issue started immediately after the update of 7.1.2. I tried to fix it by re-flashing a variant of stock roms from 6.0.0 to 7.1.2, but no luck occurred.

However, I want to share my experience that I accidentally managed to boot my device while it was being charged and lied on the bed (causing the heat from charging, accumulating to one point that enables the device to be booted). I think the problem may be from some hardware defects of socket bonding on a motherboard. After I figured out, I tried to use a hairdryer to blow the heating air to the top area of the device where a motherboard is located (in front of and behind camera) without disassembling the device. After the device attempted to boot for 5-10 times, it could be booted "temporarily". However, if I let the phone cool down, the device just stopped working (frozen screen while trying to type for search in chrome) and rebooted to bootloop again. I repeated this procedure 3 times and it surprisingly worked. I suggest this procedure, in case someone wants to take out some data from your phone but this won't permanently fix the bonding problem.

I think Google and Huawei both should be responsible for this defect, since the 6p was sold under their both brands. It is very weird that most of bootlooping 6p devices have had such problems just before and immediately after the warranty expires. Especially, for Huawei I wouldn't have bought its product if it hadn't been google branded. It seems deeply skeptical that Huawei might intended to lower the cost of production that may cause the defect or to intentionally let the phone die after the warranty period.

Anyway, are there any updates from class action lawsuit for hardware defects on Nexus 6P ?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kimm_lee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Kimm_lee Ad-Free
22nd May 2017, 08:36 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 550

More
Thanks for sharing, good to know how to save the data. It sounds a little bit like a broken solder joint. If this happens to a hardware tech experienced user he should take a look.
The Following User Says Thank You to coremania For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift coremania Ad-Free
22nd May 2017, 09:21 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Bangkok
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coremania

Thanks for sharing, good to know how to save the data. It sounds a little bit like a broken solder joint. If this happens to a hardware tech experienced user he should take a look.

I guess that Huawei used a cheap thermal compound to dissipate heat (expire earlier) and probably a cheap lead free solder (not endure to as much high temp, esp. that from Snapdragon 810, as a leaded one) . Thus, heat + inefficient cooling compound + lead free solder = microscopic cracks of the solder under the processor.
22nd May 2017, 09:38 AM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimm_lee

I guess that Huawei used a cheap thermal compound to dissipate heat (expire earlier) and probably a cheap lead free solder (not endure to as much high temp, esp. that from Snapdragon 810, as a leaded one) . Thus, heat + inefficient cooling compound + lead free solder = microscopic cracks of the solder under the processor.

Right, that's interesting, if you're​ out of warranty and got nothing to loose, you can extend the mobo and give it a careful shot with a heatgun at the right places.
22nd May 2017, 09:52 AM |#5  
Barcelona
Thanks Meter: 443

More
That's sad. I escaped from my bootlooping 5X to a battery broken used 6P. After putting a Cameron Sino battery on it. It feels and works like new.

But I fear that bootloop issue could attack me here as well. I still buy 5Xs, because for the price you don't have that camera.

Anyway...weeks back I've read in some Google forum about the rumour that the motherboard (in the 5X) heats a lot while applying an OTA. Like if there were no thermal throttling in recovery or boot mode.
I believe in this theory since most of the 5X died recently after applying the patch from Android 6 to Android 7

Maybe this happens in some 6P as well...
I'm applying OTAs inside the fridge just in case. So the phone keeps reasonably cool while updating.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
The Following User Says Thank You to thesebastian For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thesebastian Ad-Free
22nd May 2017, 10:48 AM |#6  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesebastian

That's sad. I escaped from my bootlooping 5X to a battery broken used 6P. After putting a Cameron Sino battery on it. It feels and works like new.

But I fear that bootloop issue could attack me here as well. I still buy 5Xs, because for the price you don't have that camera.

Anyway...weeks back I've read in some Google forum about the rumour that the motherboard (in the 5X) heats a lot while applying an OTA. Like if there were no thermal throttling in recovery or boot mode.
I believe in this theory since most of the 5X died recently after applying the patch from Android 6 to Android 7

I'm applying OTAs inside the fridge just in case. So the phone keeps reasonably cool while updating.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Never heard that before, in the fridge, definitely a cool thing
The Following User Says Thank You to coremania For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift coremania Ad-Free
14th June 2017, 01:17 AM |#7  
Flag Chandigarh
Thanks Meter: 36

More
My Nexus 6p (64gb) got the same bootloop issue as well. I was just listening to music and phone just suddenly restarted, after that never goes beyond google logo again. I was able boot into recovery to recover my data but flashing 2-3 roms and using twrp backup gave no result. Sad thing is i ran out of warranty just 1 month back. Now huawei wants to charge 25k (388$) to change my motherboard (1 can get a NEW 6P with 32gb for 350$). Never buying a huawei phone again. Will try your method to see if my phone boots up or not.
19th June 2017, 08:44 PM |#9  
Flag Karachi
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Got the same bootloop after june security patch ota now its doesn't boot up. Have tried so many factory images but no luck.please confirm Its hardware issue or software issue? Can't imagine hardware issue comes after ota update
4th October 2017, 07:08 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesebastian

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Interesting. I know a lot of MacBooks fail during updates due to lack of thermal throttling, but i never thought about it being an issue with a smart phone. I understand wanting recovery environment to use as little space/memory, but it almost feels like it's intentions to decrease life span of a device, and ultimately job security/profit margin for manufacturer..
4th October 2017, 12:47 PM |#11  
Barcelona
Thanks Meter: 443

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneece98

Interesting. I know a lot of MacBooks fail during updates due to lack of thermal throttling, but i never thought about it being an issue with a smart phone. I understand wanting recovery environment to use as little space/memory, but it almost feels like it's intentions to decrease life span of a device, and ultimately job security/profit margin for manufacturer..

Well all Intel macbook have Intel thermal throttle at least.
As all these Nexus have thermal throttle as well.

But it seems that in these phones something is heating more than usual when a full OTA update is being applied for a few minutes.

I don't know about anybody (5X users ) who got this issue without updating android some day in the previous month.

Sent from my Nexus 6P
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)