FORUMS

Dual sim Discussion

5,987 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,086

By FuMMoD, Recognized Contributor on 1st October 2015, 04:34 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hopefully some google techs come by this post. As you guys have noticed the dual sim phone trend is growing. The convenience of not having to carry 2 phones is very helpful. For the ones who have to carry personal and business phones this thread is for us.

I was really hoping they released this with dual Sims. Currently I have a Oneplus One as a main line and I need to get a second phone asap. I'm hoping there could be some sort of mod we can do to change the Huawei to dual sim. Huawei has a lot of dual sim phones so I'm assuming the hardware comes already pre-wired for it.

I'm hoping to find a way not to have to carry my Oneplus One and a Nexus 6P. Both phones are pretty hefty to carry especially in a suit. I understand the phone is not released yet but let's get the ball rolling.

Update Nov 18 2015

FAQ

Is it even hardware capable?
Yes, it is actually. Have a look here at the teardown by ifixit.

What about the sim tray?
It is able to hold 2 nano sims by default. The only issue is there is a bar blocking the second sim slot. You are able to bypass this by using a dremel tool and cutting it off. If you're not that handy there are some users here making 3d printed trays. This will be updated once someone is willing to supply the rest with working trays.

What about the IMEI for the second slot?
It can be set to 0 and used as such. It has been done in various other devices.

Isn't setting the IMEI to 0 illegal?
Check your countries laws. USA = NO

Sim Tray Variants

BLACK Plastic

SILVER Metal

You can use a dremel on the metal one and pop the sim card in. It has the slot ready only thing it's blocked off by a thin metal bar.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to FuMMoD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FuMMoD Ad-Free
1st October 2015, 03:48 PM |#2  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 24

More
You can try http://www.simore.com/en/
I have a colleague of mine who uses this when travelling abroad. It keeps 3 sims active & fourth being inside your device. He uses the iphone case one. You could try the bluetooth adapters aswell.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ywnmmsb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ywnmmsb Ad-Free
1st October 2015, 06:45 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag South Florida

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywnmmsb

You can try http://www.simore.com/en/
I have a colleague of mine who uses this when travelling abroad. It keeps 3 sims active & fourth being inside your device. He uses the iphone case one. You could try the bluetooth adapters aswell.

That looks like a great alternative. I'll look more into it right now.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
8th October 2015, 07:20 PM |#4  
Flag South Florida

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gingerbread Man

https://youtu.be/IXY9B_BeV1s

Not sure how much I trust a Russian source and not seen it mentioned else where but it looks credable

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to FuMMoD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FuMMoD Ad-Free
8th October 2015, 08:23 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Seriously doubt it... Although my company issued Huawei P8lite did end up dual-sim after a patch...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
8th October 2015, 08:25 PM |#6  
Flag South Florida

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alferboy

Seriously doubt it... Although my company issued Huawei P8lite did end up dual-sim after a patch...

I'm hoping it's a generic motherboard and design they're using. One that includes dual sim by default. Hopefully all it takes is only a software flash.

8th October 2015, 08:47 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Very suspicious.
In any case, for the P8 to enable dual-sim you don't do it by flashing but rather by applying a "vendor patch". The vendor patch doesn't program the "hardware" but changes config files to enable menus.
The format is not a ZIP that you can apply on the recovery.
The P8Lite "patch" enables the menus (not shown with even two inserted sims). I guess on Android M they'd be natively there and would show if the hardware was (even without a SIM) enabled.

Probably not speaking about something similar, taking in mind the Nexus philosophy (if kept) of vanilla boot-loaders and recovery.

But I'd even bet more on "product variant", something very hard to change (a "bit" hidden somewhere unknown).
The Following User Says Thank You to Alferboy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Alferboy Ad-Free
9th October 2015, 12:01 AM |#8  
Flag Gloucester
Thanks Meter: 3,969

More
Thanks for pasting my post fummod, saves me doing it! Personally I'm not overly fussed if its dual sim or not but I figured someone out there might care! If it is then bonus, if not then I won't really be bothered as I don't need two phone lines. I know nothing more or less than was shown on the video. Nothing is shown about hardware revision or anything specific about anything. I would just expect it to arrive with 1 sim card ability but if it can work with 2 then even better

The Following User Says Thank You to The Gingerbread Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift The Gingerbread Man Ad-Free
9th October 2015, 01:47 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 278

More
This is a prototype unit.. Russian's have a good relationship whit huawei.. I think there is 0 chance for 6p dual sim

9th October 2015, 07:44 AM |#10  
Flag South Florida

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gingerbread Man

Thanks for pasting my post fummod, saves me doing it! Personally I'm not overly fussed if its dual sim or not but I figured someone out there might care! If it is then bonus, if not then I won't really be bothered as I don't need two phone lines. I know nothing more or less than was shown on the video. Nothing is shown about hardware revision or anything specific about anything. I would just expect it to arrive with 1 sim card ability but if it can work with 2 then even better

I'm hoping for generic setups for Huawei. If that's the case it'll be hardware ready for dual sim. Got to love cost saving features at times. This is the difference between me carrying 2 phones or 1 phone at the same time.

9th October 2015, 11:40 AM |#11  
Flag Gloucester
Thanks Meter: 3,969

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkloznica

This is a prototype unit.. Russian's have a good relationship whit huawei.. I think there is 0 chance for 6p dual sim

For discussions sake what does having a good relationship have to do with dual sim? And how do you explain the picture's I shown here if there's 0 chance? The model here is defiantly dual sim and why would they do that for a prototype and not final model? Either way it doesn't bother me because I only need 1 phone line but it would be quite cool to have dual sim capabilities

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)