[Guide] Fix for Nexus 6P Bootloop of death | 8/22 - Android O Working

Search This thread

MaRkuS_538

Sep 28, 2012
Hey guys,

been using my 6P for years now, worked flawlessly all the time. Until I received a bootloop today. Did my research and landed here; flashed the SuperXE (the ROM I'm on, the latest one, custom build) boot.img and the recovery.
So I came into recovery mode, but no more than that: After 1 hour on the white Google boot screen nothing happened. So I had redone all the steps - flashing the recovery, the ROM and the boot.img.

Whatever I'm trying, the lockscreen simply won't show up. Have also tried to flash the kernel after the boot.img - didn't work, either.

Is there a way I can get my phone up and running again?

Thank you!

Skull2candy

Oct 5, 2016
I'm currently using AquariOs 8.1 but I wanted to know is there any other roms supporting instead od Pure Nexus. Can anyone give the list of working roms?.
Thanks in advance

canjar-xaleel

Apr 4, 2018
I followed the steps you provided in the post and also several tutorials which are inspired by it. My phone is still stuck in bootloop. It had Android O when it started looping. I managed to heat it up and unlock the bootloader and enable OEM debugging. Flashed it also but didn't work. I don't understand what TWRP is and how it works (sorry I am a noob at this stuff). I have not been able to access the recovery mode either.

I tried to heat it up again to run it but that didn't happen either. I figured since I've flashed it with the 4cores img, it would have nothing to disable once it heats up.

Pleeeeaseee, help meee!! I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. ;-;

Last edited:

mr.vladis

Aug 10, 2007
I followed the steps you provided in the post and also several tutorials which are inspired by it. My phone is still stuck in bootloop. It had Android O when it started looping. I managed to heat it up and unlock the bootloader and enable OEM debugging. Flashed it also but didn't work. I don't understand what TWRP is and how it works (sorry I am a noob at this stuff). I have not been able to access the recovery mode either.

I tried to heat it up again to run it but that didn't happen either. I figured since I've flashed it with the 4cores img, it would have nothing to disable once it heats up.

Pleeeeaseee, help meee!! I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. ;-;

I have the same problem :(
I do understand what TWRP is, but it didn't help much.

Additionally I have tried to flash 8.0 factory image (8.0.0 (OPR5.170623.014, Dec 2017) Link) and then Oreo4Cores.img as boot and twrp3_1_1_4Cores.img as recovery, but can't get to TWRP. It just remains in boot loop.

canjar-xaleel

Apr 4, 2018
I have the same problem :(
I do understand what TWRP is, but it didn't help much.

Additionally I have tried to flash 8.0 factory image (8.0.0 (OPR5.170623.014, Dec 2017) Link) and then Oreo4Cores.img as boot and twrp3_1_1_4Cores.img as recovery, but can't get to TWRP. It just remains in boot loop.

I have tried all that too with similar results i.e. bootloop. :'(

Aukaminator

Jul 20, 2013
Bootloop on April security patch

Hi guys,

My phone is currently bootlooping on April Security patch 8.1.0 (OPM3.171019.019). Can I get a modified boot.img for the latest patch please? I am currently able to boot into TWRP recovery but phone will not boot past the 4 circles screen. I'm on stock with unlocked bootloader.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Hungry hustler

Nov 25, 2009
Guys look on page 215 there is a post by @osm0sis. This guy made everything so much easier. If i remember correctly, on page 216 or so is smth like a little guide or someone put everything together. No need of modified boot anymore. All thx goes to osm0sis ?

mr.vladis

Aug 10, 2007
Guys look on page 215 there is a post by @osm0sis. This guy made everything so much easier. If i remember correctly, on page 216 or so is smth like a little guide or someone put everything together. No need of modified boot anymore. All thx goes to osm0sis

Thanks mate, but to use @osm0sis K2 injector - we still need to boot to TWRP and this is the bit that doesn't work.

I have tried 3 different versions, including one from osm0sis website, but they all fail to load. And I still in boot loop.

Aukaminator

Jul 20, 2013
Hi guys.

Assuming you have unlocked bootloader this is what I did that temporary fixed the problem;

1) Download platform tools from https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html
2) Navigated to https://basketbuild.com/devs/osm0sis/osmods
3) Downloaded twrp-3.2.1-0-fbe-4core-angler.img (For Nexus 6p)
3a) Put the recovery file to your platform tool folder (Optional to rename it to something short. EX: twrp.img)
3b) Shift-right click on your platform tool folder and run cmd prompt. If you're using windows 10, use Powershell and then type cmd in the new window before executing further commands)
3c) Type in "fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-0-fbe-4core-angler.img"
3) Downloaded N5X-6P_BLOD_Workaround_Injector_Addon-AK2-signed.zip
4) Move N5X-6P_BLOD_Workaround_Injector_Addon-AK2-signed.zip to any folder on your phone.
5) Using TWRP, flash the AK2.zip and it will patch all necessary files to fix the bootloop. It is universal so you don't have to worry about which security patch you're on, etc.
6) Reboot and cross your finger that it works.

imlabinit

Apr 9, 2018
Hi guys,

I was able to unlock the bootloader through NRT and followed the steps up to the point where I flashed the .img file. The final instruction required me to reboot my phone and wait for a while until the phone's boot animation and lock screen shows up. Unfortunately, the screen has yet to reach the boot animation nor lock screen. I am stuck at the "Google" logo with the unlocked symbol on the screen. I already left it overnight hoping that my phone boots up successfully on the next morning. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks guys.

mr.vladis

Aug 10, 2007
Hi guys.

Assuming you have unlocked bootloader this is what I did that temporary fixed the problem;

1) Download platform tools from https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools.html
3a) Put the recovery file to your platform tool folder (Optional to rename it to something short. EX: twrp.img)
3b) Shift-right click on your platform tool folder and run cmd prompt. If you're using windows 10, use Powershell and then type cmd in the new window before executing further commands)
4) Move N5X-6P_BLOD_Workaround_Injector_Addon-AK2-signed.zip to any folder on your phone.
5) Using TWRP, flash the AK2.zip and it will patch all necessary files to fix the bootloop. It is universal so you don't have to worry about which security patch you're on, etc.

Yes, it all make sense.

The question we all asking is what to do if after following those steps you stuck with loading TWRP? Is just continue to boot loop instead of loading it.

aribarti

Apr 9, 2018
Thank you for your suggestions! I've also tired to make a boot.img with 4 working cores, as you suggested, from oreo 8.1 but unfortunately did not work.

knaxx1

Apr 10, 2018
I am unable to get my phone to boot into TWRP these are the steps I've tried.

followed all of the steps on the below post EXACTLY. It bootloops when trying to go to 'Recovery Mode' using phone.
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=75774448&postcount=2289

1. flash-all.bat AND/OR manually flash all .img per step 9 in the large post. This is using the Dec 2017 8.1.0 and Feb 2018 8.1.0 version of factory image. All steps show up as OKAY
2. flash osm0sis' TWRP 3.2.1-4-core shows up as OKAY.
3. bootloops after selecting Recovery Mode via volume keys on phone

I have also tried the 7.1.2 image and boot.img with no luck. I have also tried various other versions of android factory images and boot.img or TWRP here with no luck.

Last edited:

MikiGry

Oct 2, 2013
Nexus 7 (2013)
Samsung Gear S3
Whats the maximum temperature i can heat it my 6P to ?
I tried heating it with hairdryer. I was soo hot, that i"ve almost burned myself touching the power button. Im was still much below 100ºC though (im worried, that heating it longer with a hairdryer will make battery smoke or explode)

And whats the maximum temerature our CPU can handle ? Mebay if i open the phone up and use hot-air soldering station to precisely heat up the processor to very high temperature it will make contact again and work ?

mr.vladis

Aug 10, 2007
Whats the maximum temperature i can heat it my 6P to ?
I tried heating it with hairdryer. I was soo hot, that i"ve almost burned myself touching the power button. Im was still much below 100ºC though (im worried, that heating it longer with a hairdryer will make battery smoke or explode)

And whats the maximum temerature our CPU can handle ? Mebay if i open the phone up and use hot-air soldering station to precisely heat up the processor to very high temperature it will make contact again and work ?

I was still heating mine when I have to put it close to the wall as I wasn't able to hold it anymore. Was heating it with hairdryer as well. I think it took me around 30 minutes.

b-droid

Dec 5, 2016
Hi guys.

I tried all of your steps but it doesn't work. Same is the case with the steps I tried on the main post. It would just keep stuck in the bootloop. I was unable to get into recovery as well. Any advice?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Read First: This method is relatively drastic, and will hurt device performance some. You should only use this as a last resort, if the more basic methods of fixing a soft brick didn't work (e.g, factory reset, flash stock firmware, etc.)​

*Update 8/22: Android O is working with 4 Cores now! Big thank you to @xls654 for finding out how to get Android O to work.

*Petition:
    I made a petition for Google to officially release and sign modified boot.imgs, so that people with locked bootloaders can fix their devices too. Check it out here. (I apologize for dumbing it down so much, I wanted to make sure everyone could understand it)

*Changelog:

• 8/25 - EX kernel for Android O added.
    • 8/22 - Android O DPR6 boot.img and source added.
    • 8/16 - Started making this fix open-source, source code section added in OP. Also uploaded modified Franco and Flash kernel & source.
    • 8/10 - Added PA 7.2.2 and DarkROM boot images.
    • 8/08, 2nd change - Uploaded modified boot.img for firmware 48C.
    • 8/08 - Updated EX kernel to version 4.1.2. This updated zip adds the CPU utilization patch to the init.elemntalx.rc, instead of removing the old init.angler.rc and copying the new init over. That should mean more compatibility with Roms/kernels that modify the init.angler.rc. I also modified the camera-daemon to use cpus 0-3 instead of 0-2, so hopefully this should make the a camera bit faster too.
    • 8/07 - Added boot.img that only uses 1 core. Someone suggested I make a boot.img that only uses 1 core, just to see if it works for devices that didn't work with the 4 Core fix.
    • 7/30 - Added universal EX zip, this zip should modify your kernel to use only 4 cores, and it should modify it to utilize all 4 cores. You can flash this over most ROMs and it should work. Also added a donation url, and this changelog.
    • 7/29, 2nd change - Added Pure Nexus and PA dev version boot images, modified to use 4 cores, and utilize all 4.
    • 7/29 - Updated this fix to greatly improve performance. Before this fix, the device was only using 1 core for foreground tasks, now it will use all 4 cores. Also revamped OP.
    • 7/21 - Fix created, stock boot.img, TWRP image, and EX kernel modified to use 4 cores.

*What this fix does, and how to apply it:

The problem:
    The problem with most of the devices in a BLOD, is that a hardware failure related to the BIG cluster has occurred. This fix remedies the problem by disabling the BIG cores. Unfortunately, this does mean that you will take a performance hit. However, I am continually working on ways to improve the device's performance.

The update: If anyone remembers device performance with the first fix, it was hurt a lot, however, after finding out that the device was only using 1 core for all foreground tasks, I modified the ramdisk to utilize all 4 cores more effectively, and it helps a lot.

Requirements: For this fix to work, you need:
    • A brain
    • A computer
    • A bootlooping 6P with an unlocked bootloader/OEM unlocking enabled
    • The modified files of your choice
    • Fastboot on your computer (preferably installed system wide). If you do not know what this is, or do not have it, look at this post. Answer yes to all of the prompts to install it.

How to apply the fix:
    1. Boot your phone into bootloader (hold power and volume down).
    2. Connect your phone to the computer.
    3. Go to the folder where you have the modified files, then hold shift and right click in a blank space, click on "open command prompt here" in the menu that pops up.
    4. In the command prompt: type "fastboot flash boot [name of the file here]" and then press enter. If you're flashing TWRP, replace boot with recovery. (Linux users, make sure you're running as root)
      Edit: With the new EX zip, you shouldn't need to flash the boot.img anymore, you can just flash twrp, and then flash EX in twrp.
    5. Boot up your phone, and hopefully it should work!

*If your phone is bootloader locked/OEM locked:

You can try to get your phone to boot long enough to enable OEM unlocking. Some users have reported success by freezing their phone for a bit, then booting it. Others have let their battery drain all the way, and then tried to boot their phone, but the most successful method seems to be heating up your phone (a lot).
    If you do attempt any of these methods, make sure you have time and patience, as it will take a long time.

To enable OEM unlocking and unlock bootloader:
    1. Go to settings.
    2. Go to developer options, if you do not see that, go to "about phone", scroll to build number, and then tap it 7 times. You should now see developer options in settings.
    3. Once you're in developer options, click on "OEM unlocking" and accept the prompt.
    4. Now reboot your phone to bootloader, connect your phone to the computer, and type "fastboot flashing unlock" Your bootloader should now be unlocked.

*Downloads:

• Boot.img from stock 6.17, 8.0 firmware: Download | Mirror. This Image is the from the first official release of Android O, and is modified to use 4 cores. It also disables forced encryption as a bonus. Thank you to @xls654 for figuring out how to get Android O to work.
    • Boot.img from stock 48C, 7.1.2 firmware: Download | Mirror. This Image is modified to use only 4 cores, and is modified to utilize the 4 cores more effectively. I have had multiple people say that first boot takes a while after flashing this, so just wait about 20 minutes before you declare something is wrong with it.
    • Boot.img from stock 48B, 7.1.2 firmware: Download |Mirror. This Image is modified to use only 4 cores, and is modified to utilize the 4 cores more effectively. I have had multiple people say that first boot takes a while after flashing this, so just wait about 20 minutes before you declare something is wrong with it.
    • TWRP version 3.1.1: Download | Mirror. This TWRP image is modified to use only 4 cores.
    • EX kernel version 5.03: Download | Mirror. EX kernel 5.03 works with android 8.0.0. This zip applies the 4 cores patch, but you will need to flash it over an already modified boot.img to work.
    • Elemental X kernel version 4.12, universal zip: Download | Mirror. This zip is EX kernel, modified to use only 4 cores. Update: I modified it to apply the CPU utilization patch too, so now this is a universal zip, flash it over almost any ROM, and you should now have the BIG cores disabled fix, and the little core utilization fix.
    • Flash kernel version 2.5: Download | Mirror. This zip is modified to use only 4 cores, and utilize all 4. Works with android 7.1.2. You can flash this over almost any ROM, including stock, and it should boot again.
    • Franco kernel r55: Download | Mirror. This zip is modified to use only 4 cores, and utilize all 4. Works with android 7.1.2. You can flash this over almost any ROM, including stock, and it should boot again.

You will most likely not need these images. It will be much easier, and much more universal to flash one of the custom kernel zips above ^^^
    • PA boot.img from PA version 7.2.2, build 8/10: Download | Mirror. Uses only 4 cores, and has core utilization patch.
    • PA boot.img from PA version 7.2.1: Download | Mirror. Boot.img from PA dev preview 7.2.1, uses only 4 cores, and is modified to utilize 4 cores more effectively. Flash it after you flash the PA zip, either with fastboot, or TWRP image flash.
    • Pure Nexus boot.img from Pure Nexus 7/25 build Download | Mirror. This image is modified to use only 4 cores, and it has a tweak to utilize the 4 cores more effectively. Flash it after you flash Pure Nexus, either with fastboot, or TWRP image flash.
    • DarkROM boot.img from 7/21 build: Download | Mirror. This image is modified to use only 4 cores, and has the utilization patch.
    • Boot.img modified to use only 1 Core. Some people were reporting that the 4 core images weren't working for them, someone suggested that I make a 1 core version to see if that helps at all. Edit: seems not to help unfortunately. Here it is: Download | Mirror

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get Android O working yet, but I am working on it right now.
    If you have a favorite custom ROM or kernel you want to ported over to use 4 cores, let me know, and I'll put it up.

*Source code:

p-0000000000000000000000000000007 (sorry that was my kitten)

*Tested custom ROMS/kernels

I have used Pure Nexus by flashing the modified EX zip over it, it has notably better performance than the stock ROM, and very good battery life. It's a clean, stable ROM, with plenty of good features that are actually useful.
    I have also used Paranoid android dev preview, very good performance, definitely my favorite as of now. Battery life leaves something to be desired, but I have not tried a custom kernel yet. Also, 7.2.1 seemed smoother to me than 7.2.2.

If you have a custom ROM/kernel that worked for you, let me know and I'll put it up here.

*To improve performance slightly:

• Flash a custom kernel. I will upload more kernels as I test more, so stay tuned.
    • Overclock the little cores. It can slightly help offset the lost performance, on my 6P, I have mine overclocked to 1632MHz, and it works perfectly for me. Edit: I actually recommend not overclocking. Many people have reported their Little cores failing, so I would go for longevity on this device, and keep it at stock clocks, or even underclock it. The speed difference you get from overclocking is negligible anyways.
    • Disable animations in developer options. Seriously, as soon as I found out about this tweak, I've used it on ever single device I've owned, it helps a ton.
    • Turn resolution down to 1080p. On a small screen, the difference in between 1080p and 1440p is not very noticable. To do this, first get root access, then download a terminal emulator. In the terminal, type "su" and grant it root access, then type "wm size 1080x1920", and finally, change the density "wm density 400". Personally, I like my density at 400, but you can expieriment with it. Lower density=Smaller items and text, Higher density=Bigger items and text. Also @Adithya FRK mentioned that you also want to put density in build.prop so apps display correctly. Change ro.sf.lcd_density=560 to your density, if you changed it.

*Credits:

@rchtk, His post here gave me the idea for how to modify the images.
    @flar2, He built the Elemental X kernel for this device, I merely made a small modification to his kernel to use 4 cores. In no way am I trying to steal and/or discredit his work.
    The TWRP development team, they built the TWRP recovery for this device, I merely made a small modification to their recovery to use 4 cores. In no way am I trying to steal and/or discredit their work.
    @tr1gg3r.man, He made the the PA kernel, I just added a couple modifications. In no way am I trying to steal and/or discredit his work.
    @BeansTown106, He made the Pure Nexus kernel, I just added a couple modifications. In no way am I trying to steal and/or discredit his work.
    @Dark_Eyes_, He made the DarkROM kernel, I just added a couple modifications to it. In no way am I trying to steal and/or discredit his work.
    @[U][COLOR="Purple"]The Flash[/COLOR][/U], He made The Flash kernel, I just made a couple modifications to it. In no way am I trying to steal and/or discredit his work. His posts have also helped me a lot with learning how to build a kernel from source, understanding how to use git more, etc. I recommend you check them out if you are interested in getting started with android development.
    @[B]franciscofranco[/B], He made Franco kernel, I just made a couple modifications to it. In no way am I trying to steal and/or discredit his work.
    @xls654, He found out how to get Android O working with 4 cores.

FAQs

• What's the password for TWRP/Why is TWRP asking for a password? - In android 7.0, Google added forced encryption to the data partition. To get around this, click cancel when TWRP asks you for a password, and then factory reset the device. Then you can flash EX kernel/Magisk to disable forced encryption.
    • Why am I getting an error when I try to flash the images? - Your bootloader is probably not unlocked, try running the command "fastboot flashing unlock", If you get an error there too, then you will have to enable OEM unlocking before you can continue.
    • It's not working for me, how do I fix it? - My only advice for that is: "Flash the stock firmware for whatever version image you're trying to flash, then reflash the images again" If you're stuck on the boot animation, wait at least 20 minutes before you declare it's not working. If none of that works, chances are your device may have a different problem.
    • Does EX kernel have the new speed fix? - Yep, you can flash this over just about any ROM, and it should patch it to use only 4 cores, and use them well.

I would like to help as many people as I can, however, I am much more likely to be able to easily help you/reply to your post if you clearly state your problem and the steps you attempted to fix it. I will be much less likely to reply to posts such as "omggg i flashed the image and my phone won't boot helppp" Please read through post first, I did not spend time typing up this OP for no one to read it. If I can see that you read through the OP and have attempted all the steps, then I will be much more willing to help you.

I set up donations on my profile, for those of you who want to donate. I have spent countless hours modifying, flashing, testing, and helping, don't get me wrong, I love doing this and helping y'all out, but donations really keep me motivated to keep going, and donations also will help me fund new equipment and devices that will help further my android development. Every single donation is appreciated :) Donate to me here!

If this guide helped you, please click thanks, it means a lot to me :)
    Guys.. bad news.. my Nexus 5X just got hit with the BLOD. 😢

Good news for everyone is I spent a bit of time tonight to first patch the latest TWRP 3.2.1-0-FBE (File-Based Encryption support) image to be 4core, then made an AnyKernel2 zip which will patch the existing boot and recovery partitions on-device to add all the 4core fixes from @XCnathan32. Should work over any ROM, any custom kernel, recovery, etc., can be added in queue after ROM, root zip + custom kernel to patch it from TWRP or FlashFire (so good for OTAs), and simplifies the initial process greatly since you can now fastboot boot any 4core recovery.img and then adb sideload my AK2 zip to fix the likely newer recovery you already had on your device. 👍

Edit: See my new thread for updated files + step-by-step instructions: https://xdaforums.com/nexus-6p/general/bootloop-death-blod-workaround-zip-t3819515
    How the fuuuuuuuu man you save me, how do you make this.
    Really work for my Nexus 6p thank you man, is there any way to send a cup of coffe.

To anyone who wants to make a boot.img with 4 cores: It's actually fairly simple, you need to get abootimg tools on linux. Then unpack the boot.img with abootimg -x (name of your boot.img) Once the image is extracted, there should be a file named bootimg.cfg, edit that file and put in maxcpus=4 in the line that starts with cmdline =. Then repack the image with abootimg --create myboot.img -f bootimg.cfg -k zImage -r initrd.img And viola! You have a (half) working kernel.
    Update: Just found out that the kernel is setting foreground tasks to only run on CPU 0, I would assume this is because that foreground tasks only ran on BIG cores, but since the kernel can't access them, it pushes all foreground tasks to CPU 0, and only CPU 0, obviously, this would slow device performance down a lot, so I'm working on building a modified init script to fix this. Up to this point, our devices have basically been running on 1 core, so this fix will help performance a ton.

I uploaded a screenshot of core usage on device startup, to show just how bad the problem is. (Keep in mind this is on my device with all the tweaks as well)
    Big Update: Got the kernel to start utilizing all 4 of the cores instead of just 1, will update OP with links shortly! I haven't tested it much, as I just got it working, however, I expect a drastic increase in performance.
    Also, does anyone know how to add spoilers? I seriously need to clean up my OP.

Edit: Yep, even from just a couple minutes of testing, device runs smooth AF now, and that was at startup too, when it's typically extremely laggy.

I attached a screenshot of all cores being used down below.