FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide][Hard Mod][Nexus 6P]Improve cooling and greatly reduce Thermal Throttling

1,128 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,127

By Gorgtech, Senior Member on 26th February 2016, 08:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
28th August 2018, 10:25 PM |#151  
Thanks Meter: 211

More
Would it be possible to only use thermal pads here, no paste at all? I.e. even on the large metal area?

7th September 2018, 02:37 PM |#152  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Is it enough to use 0.5mm pad between SoC and lid? Or better to use 1mm?
20th September 2018, 07:31 AM |#153  
Flag Somewhere in Southern California
Thanks Meter: 13

More
First of all...

Second, I replaced my battery a few minutes and decided to try this mod since I had FujiPoly 0.5mm pad laying around from an old PC build. I put pad between the SoC and lid; and another pad between the lid and inner frame...seems to be the right fit. Everything went back together without any fitment problems.

Yesterday, I ran Antutu a few times to get a baseline...came in around 60k. Once I run the battery through a few charge cycles, I'll benchmark again & post results.

9/29 update:
Performance is way better. Here's the before & after. Screenshots are the final of 4 back-to-back runs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_AnTuTu_Benchmark_20180920-074527.png
Views:	474
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	4607905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_AnTuTu_Benchmark_20180922-125854.png
Views:	482
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	4607906  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oophlamer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift oophlamer Ad-Free
30th November 2018, 06:31 PM |#154  
Flag Strawberry
Thanks Meter: 15

More
fixing to change out my battery and am going to do this mod while i'm at it. My question is would it be better to use pads and past or i have plenty of copper heatsink plates in various sizes and thickness's from 0.5mm to 1mm. which would be best to use??
The Following User Says Thank You to blake .l For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift blake .l Ad-Free
17th December 2018, 05:51 PM |#155  
Flag Strawberry
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Done the mod on mine as i replaced the battery. I used a copper heat sink 0.3mm thick and worked out perfect. you might be able to use a 0.5mm thermal pad but if you use copper like i did you have to go 0.3 as 0.5 is to thick..
28th January 2019, 04:34 AM |#156  
Bakersfield
Thanks Meter: 26

More
I am thinking about getting a brand new 6P, I see some 6P's run cool out of the box. What is the normal temps and scores to be expected from the phone?
19th February 2019, 03:37 PM |#157  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi, since i saw this post i made every type of mod, using only thermal paste (MX-4), thermal paste + thermal pad, removed the metal lid and changed the thermal compound (that pink crap), and always got the same results.

Today i performed a little modification inserting a piece of cooper plate 0,5mm thicker between the lid and the metal body, see the photos below:

Lid

Google Photos Album if the img above fail:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tA6bC2kZKrpYinpt6

Applied some MX-4 between the lid and the cooper plate and the cooper plate and metal body, just a little dot right in the middle.

Between the SD810 and the metal lid, i used a GELID Extreme ThermalPad 0,5 thick with 12W/mK

And, the conclusion.... i got pretty much the same results (when i take a picture with NX Camera or GCAM reaches 70 Celsius in a few seconds, so nothings really changes. I just think the TDP of SD810 is too much for Nexus 6P handle it, especially without a heatpipe to help.

Anyway, that's my experience with this mod, in a daily use i configured a power save profile to help and prevent any thermal throttling... i think im going to forget about it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cooling mod, guide, hard mod, nexus 6p

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)