[GUIDE] The Set-And-Forget setup for easy update, no worries battery and performance

Search This thread
UPDATED FOR MARCH SECURITY PATCH! 08/03/2017​

Hey folks!
Today I decided to share my actual setup for everyone to try and report back.
Mind that is still WIP, absolutely far from perfect and it's based on my personal preference, since it's built around the way I use the phone. But it can be easily adopted for many people here since it's pretty flexible.
The main goal of this setup is to provide consistency, both in battery and performance. Also, I mind security a bit, this is why I update the phone often; Because of that I want to flash the least possibile .zip files in recovery after updating to the latest security image (I'm lazy and I like things done nice once, and I never do them twice when it's not needed)

With this setup you should go between 10%/h to 15%/h SOT, consistently. I've seen some of my friends dropping to 9%/h, but no guarantees

Also, added bonus: It DOESN'T trips SafetyNet, so you can use Pay and your beloved Pokemon go!

Also note that english isn't my native language, but I try my best to write as readable that I can. Sorry about that.

This require an unlocked bootloader, but not necessary a rooted phone.

The Setup:
1) First things first: Clean your phone from junk around (I suggest a pretty hard wipe) and since this require to be on the stock system (which IMO works best) flash latest N build.
2) Convert your data and cache to F2FS. It's pretty good, and even if in your opinion it doesn't boost performance THAT much, take in mind that it requires no trimming (which EXT4 does need). Mind not converting /system, this is UNSUPPORTED on stock system. It needs a custom rom.
3) Flash "Flash Kernel" from here. You can literally use any kernel you prefer, but I found this rich enough to use it. Mind it does support F2FS, if you converted to it in step 2.
4) Flash Magisk. This way you have root out-of-the-box and safetynet isn't tripped (for you Pay users!) Also, it plays nice with the mods in the next steps. Don't forget to activate "magisk hide" in the app!
5) Flash this magisk mod (increases media volume steps to 30, in call volume steps to 15)
6) Reboot your phone and set it up.
7) Install Magisk App, WakeBlock, and your kernel manager for the kernel you chose. In this setup, I use EX Kernel Manager.
8) Now, from your favourite root file manager go to /cache and create this directory structure: magisk_mount/system/framework/oat/arm64/ then place in the last folder (arm64) this file. It's from this mod, called WakeBlock. (It basically acts like amplify, but doesn't need xposed NOR root)
9) Reboot the phone.

The setup it's done, you can now tweak it as you prefer or just follow the below steps.

The Kernel tweaking:
1) Open up EX Kernel App and go to CPU, set both governors to Interactive and tick stick on reboot
2) Go to governor options and choose your governor. I use AmanuensisOne v1.0, which gives me around 6-7h sot. Load it, stick it on reboot and back to CPU.
3) Go to CPU Boost options, and disable everything (set everything to 0/disabled) and tick stick on reboot. Then back to CPU.
4) Enable core_control and disable msm_thermal, stick them on reboot.
5) Go to Memory and Disable UKSM stick on reboot.
6) Go to Miscellaneous set I/O Scheduler to FIOPS, stick on reboot, Readahead to 1024 with stick on reboot, disable fsync, also set it to reboot.
Done!

Blocking those nasty wakelocks and save the battery! (aka R.I.P. NlpCollectorWakelock):

It's reccomanded to use the phone for a while before doing this. Wakeblock collects informations on wakelocks only when they fire the first time, so a bit of use it's needed.

1) Open wakeblock app and check if it says "service bound". If it doesn't you may have missed something on the "The setup" part, check point #8.
2) Go to wakelocks and block this wakelocks (the time is expressed in ms in the app - Don't enter spaces, of course.) if you don't have a wakelock, skip it:
- NlpWakeLock -- 600 000ms
- GCoreFlp -- 600 000ms
- RILJ -- 800 000ms
- UrlDispSvcFastWL -- 600 000ms
- CMWakeLock -- 600 000ms
- *net_scheduler* -- 3 600 000ms
- Wakeful StateMachine: GeofencerStateMachine -- 600 000ms
- LocationManagerService -- 600 000ms
- SyncLoopWakeLock -- 600 000ms
- NetworkStats -- 800 000ms
- Icing -- 3 600 000 ms
- ULR_BarometerReading_WakeLock -- 600 000ms
- NfcService:mRoutingWakeLock -- 3 600 000ms
- NlpCollectorWakeLock -- 600 000ms

Take in mind that this wakelocks are blocked without impacting ANY functionality of the phone. You may want to increase the time if don't use geolocation at your own risk

More tweaks (improve smoothness and perceived UI speed):
This is a highly WIP part, setting anything different might break your system or get your phone into bootloop (happend twice to me). I highly suggest to have a backup if you want to fiddle more with these settings. You are advised. If you find something useful, please share.

1) Download HEBF and L Speed. These two apps have many tweaks to improve UX and saves a little bit more juice.
2) Open up L Speed and set it this way:
- Main tweaks: Activate Kernel sleepers optimization, Improve scrolling, Liquid smooth UI
- Battery: Activate Battery improvement
- LNET Optimizer: Activate all the tweaks and set NET Buffers to small (or big, but it wastes more battery)
- Seeder: Set to Enlarger mode
- Settings: apply on boot delay set to 60 sec.
3) Open up HEBF and set it this way:
- Set user type to "Chuck Norris" and proceed.
- Battery: Activate Google play services drain fix (Master) and usage report
4) Go into Settings > Developer options and scale all animations to 0.5x

Done, if you done all of this correctly you should see a dramatic improvement on battery life and performance.
I still reccomend to use Naptime, or better, Greenify to save some extra juice.

Have a good day, and enjoy your phone!
Please comment with your battery stats or suggestions if you wish to improve this topic.

Last edited:
Today's battery performance pic

Well, pretty good for me!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170220-181345.png
    Screenshot_20170220-181345.png
    238.3 KB · Views: 3,656
  • Screenshot_20170220-181545.png
    Screenshot_20170220-181545.png
    104.2 KB · Views: 3,634
  • Screenshot_20170220-181541.png
    Screenshot_20170220-181541.png
    206.6 KB · Views: 3,630
Reactions: KLit75
What's your average SOT?

Inviato dal mio Pixel XL utilizzando Tapatalk

Normally i go for 6-7h pretty consistently, i touched 8h, but it was a day were i kept my screen on pretty much all the time with really quick screen offs.

The average sot may vary, but with my friends we've tested around 6h

As you can see from the screen i've installed accubattery few hours ago, but is already almost accurate in battery reading.
I can provide more accurate averages in a week or two

DEVILOPS 007

May 24, 2016
Colchester
Normally i go for 6-7h pretty consistently, i touched 8h, but it was a day were i kept my screen on pretty much all the time with really quick screen offs.

As you can see from the screen i've installed accubattery few hours ago, but is already almost accurate in battery reading.
Why don't you use a custom rom? Any reason in particular?

Using a custom rom has for sure some advantages, but:
- It may (and possibly will) be unstable or certain features bugged out
- Doesn't provide much more than stock rom already does (and if it does, are just secondary things like looks and customization that you can live without)
- No wakeblock for it, which saves a TON of battery (i might compile it, but hell, takes a lot of time)
- You can switch Android versions easily (and mostly without wiping /data)
- Much more support (even the official one)
- The feel and look of a clean android version
- I often don't like crap integrated with other roms based on stock
- Odexed it's faster and saves a little little juice (i don't do app modding, so...)

That's pretty much why.
Take in mind that this is my thought, and doesn't universally qualify as truth.

Reactions: armyav8tor

DEVILOPS 007

May 24, 2016
Colchester
- Doesn't provide much more than stock rom already does (and if it does, are just secondary things like looks and customization that you can live without)
- No wakeblock for it, which saves a TON of battery (i might compile it, but hell, takes a lot of time)
- Odexed it's faster and saves a little little juice (i don't do app modding, so...)

That's pretty much why.
Okay thanks, I appreciate your opinion. I mainly prefer custom roms not for customisability and features but roms (mainly Chad's uber) is faster and snappier than any rom out there and is on Clang 4.0 unlike any other roms I think. Also custom roms typically have less bloat and all and has more support for themes and stuff. Can you use substratum and what wakelocks do you block? If you do ever look at getting wakeblock on custom roms could you please look into Chad's uber. I contacted him but he hasn't responded. I'd be happy to help and do it myself but I don't know how to unfortunately.

---------- Post added at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

That's pretty much why.
I was also wondering, are there any great custom roms that currently work with wakeblock? So odexed custom roms

giovanto98

Sep 6, 2014

What % of battery health accubattery shows you?

Okay thanks, I appreciate your opinion. I mainly prefer custom roms not for customisability and features but roms (mainly Chad's uber) is faster and snappier than any rom out there and is on Clang 4.0 unlike any other roms I think. Also custom roms typically have less bloat and all and has more support for themes and stuff. Can you use substratum and what wakelocks do you block? If you do ever look at getting wakeblock on custom roms could you please look into Chad's uber. I contacted him but he hasn't responded. I'd be happy to help and do it myself but I don't know how to unfortunately.

Yeah, I understand custom rom may be compiled with different toolchains to be faster, but the speed gain is between negligible and placebo, to me. The stock with these settings is buttery smooth and fast. Also, to have a faster look, go to developer settings and set all the animations to 0.5x. I know it doesn't affect performance, but the percieved smoothness is increased.
I tried many custom roms. It's mostly a fight than a good experience for me, so I gave up on it (I used to have cyanogemod on all my phones, for years and I was a big fan of it)

For WakeBlock, I don't plan to compile it for other roms, I'm just currently working on a LineageOS version, but that's it. It's up to your rom dev to integrate it.

BTW Yes, I can use substratum themes, but only in legacy mode. Keep in mind that this will OFC trigger SafetyNet. (like all substratum themes)

mrgenie1

Jan 8, 2014
Solid guide, similar to what i'm already doing but i use Uber as my ROM. Flash kernel is great, although for some reason i universally have a problem on my 6P where my android system usage is as high if not higher than my screen usage? Has anyone else had this issue regardless of their ROM etc? Tried multiples of combos, including stock/dark rom/Stock+ w/ different kernels. Any help would be appreciated!! Good guide none the less!

Reactions: CappyT

giovanto98

Sep 6, 2014
Solid guide, similar to what i'm already doing but i use Uber as my ROM. Flash kernel is great, although for some reason i universally have a problem on my 6P where my android system usage is as high if not higher than my screen usage? Has anyone else had this issue regardless of their ROM etc? Tried multiples of combos, including stock/dark rom/Stock+ w/ different kernels. Any help would be appreciated!! Good guide none the less!
Lot of users had this problem, check out the tread "nougat battery life" here on xda.

SimoIanni

Jun 16, 2016
Leghorn
OnePlus 6T

I had a similar problem and I found out that it was my WiFi signal too low.
I used "Battery Historian" to see that.
iI's a gui that helps you find what is draining your battery giving you a graph and very detailed stats.
You can also see the wakelocks that wake your device and how much you doze in screen off.
It's located in bathist.ef.lc and it needs a bugreport from your device(to get it you need to run "bugreport > /sdcard/bugreport.txt or you can use the dedicated function into "Developer options")

mrgenie1

Jan 8, 2014
I had a similar problem and I found out that it was my WiFi signal too low.
I used "Battery Historian" to see that.
iI's a gui that helps you find what is draining your battery giving you a graph and very detailed stats.
You can also see the wakelocks that wake your device and how much you doze in screen off.
It's located in bathist.ef.lc and it needs a bugreport from your device(to get it you need to run "bugreport > /sdcard/bugreport.txt or you can use the dedicated function into "Developer options")

okay thanks, ill look into it! :) my WiFi router is right outside my room, but i still get 3 bars so maybe that's the issue.. the wifi chip's dying or something similar.

It could be even ART JIT, since in 7.x apps aren't optimized at installation time, but at runtime. It may take a week to have everything ok.

Anyway thanks, the only difference I made here is the fact that I'm using wakeblock, a mod that I co-developed in the absence of xposed (and amplify)
Saves a ton of battery, so if you are wakelocking, check it out

explorer-10

Dec 28, 2010
L.A.
Some updates on the average battery life

Would you recommend using ForceDoze in place of Greenify/L Speed/NapTime?
I know ForceDoze works better with 6.0 since with stock Doze, it only works when the device is at a still position for at least 30 mins and ForceDoze has the ability to alleviate that, letting the device set into Doze mode regardless how much the device moves around, but with 7.0/7.1+, its like an improved Doze v2. So...

Last edited:
Would you recommend using ForceDoze in place of Greenify/L Speed/NapTime?

I personally use greenify and l speed for some additional tweaks.
Take in mind that you can use whatever you feel it's right, depending on your needs (greenify for example is selective, while the others aren't)
Anyway all of these will provide only a little bit of reduction of screen off drain, so the difference (for me, at least) it's pretty negligible.
The real deal in screen off performance is limiting the wakelocks, this way you can doze a lot more.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED FOR MARCH SECURITY PATCH! 08/03/2017​

Hey folks!
    Today I decided to share my actual setup for everyone to try and report back.
    Mind that is still WIP, absolutely far from perfect and it's based on my personal preference, since it's built around the way I use the phone. But it can be easily adopted for many people here since it's pretty flexible.
    The main goal of this setup is to provide consistency, both in battery and performance. Also, I mind security a bit, this is why I update the phone often; Because of that I want to flash the least possibile .zip files in recovery after updating to the latest security image (I'm lazy and I like things done nice once, and I never do them twice when it's not needed)

With this setup you should go between 10%/h to 15%/h SOT, consistently. I've seen some of my friends dropping to 9%/h, but no guarantees

Also, added bonus: It DOESN'T trips SafetyNet, so you can use Pay and your beloved Pokemon go!

Also note that english isn't my native language, but I try my best to write as readable that I can. Sorry about that.

This require an unlocked bootloader, but not necessary a rooted phone.

The Setup:
    1) First things first: Clean your phone from junk around (I suggest a pretty hard wipe) and since this require to be on the stock system (which IMO works best) flash latest N build.
    2) Convert your data and cache to F2FS. It's pretty good, and even if in your opinion it doesn't boost performance THAT much, take in mind that it requires no trimming (which EXT4 does need). Mind not converting /system, this is UNSUPPORTED on stock system. It needs a custom rom.
    3) Flash "Flash Kernel" from here. You can literally use any kernel you prefer, but I found this rich enough to use it. Mind it does support F2FS, if you converted to it in step 2.
    4) Flash Magisk. This way you have root out-of-the-box and safetynet isn't tripped (for you Pay users!) Also, it plays nice with the mods in the next steps. Don't forget to activate "magisk hide" in the app!
    5) Flash this magisk mod (increases media volume steps to 30, in call volume steps to 15)
    6) Reboot your phone and set it up.
    7) Install Magisk App, WakeBlock, and your kernel manager for the kernel you chose. In this setup, I use EX Kernel Manager.
    8) Now, from your favourite root file manager go to /cache and create this directory structure: magisk_mount/system/framework/oat/arm64/ then place in the last folder (arm64) this file. It's from this mod, called WakeBlock. (It basically acts like amplify, but doesn't need xposed NOR root)
    9) Reboot the phone.

The setup it's done, you can now tweak it as you prefer or just follow the below steps.

The Kernel tweaking:
    1) Open up EX Kernel App and go to CPU, set both governors to Interactive and tick stick on reboot
    2) Go to governor options and choose your governor. I use AmanuensisOne v1.0, which gives me around 6-7h sot. Load it, stick it on reboot and back to CPU.
    3) Go to CPU Boost options, and disable everything (set everything to 0/disabled) and tick stick on reboot. Then back to CPU.
    4) Enable core_control and disable msm_thermal, stick them on reboot.
    5) Go to Memory and Disable UKSM stick on reboot.
    6) Go to Miscellaneous set I/O Scheduler to FIOPS, stick on reboot, Readahead to 1024 with stick on reboot, disable fsync, also set it to reboot.
    Done!

Blocking those nasty wakelocks and save the battery! (aka R.I.P. NlpCollectorWakelock):

It's reccomanded to use the phone for a while before doing this. Wakeblock collects informations on wakelocks only when they fire the first time, so a bit of use it's needed.

1) Open wakeblock app and check if it says "service bound". If it doesn't you may have missed something on the "The setup" part, check point #8.
    2) Go to wakelocks and block this wakelocks (the time is expressed in ms in the app - Don't enter spaces, of course.) if you don't have a wakelock, skip it:
    - NlpWakeLock -- 600 000ms
    - GCoreFlp -- 600 000ms
    - RILJ -- 800 000ms
    - UrlDispSvcFastWL -- 600 000ms
    - CMWakeLock -- 600 000ms
    - *net_scheduler* -- 3 600 000ms
    - Wakeful StateMachine: GeofencerStateMachine -- 600 000ms
    - LocationManagerService -- 600 000ms
    - SyncLoopWakeLock -- 600 000ms
    - NetworkStats -- 800 000ms
    - Icing -- 3 600 000 ms
    - ULR_BarometerReading_WakeLock -- 600 000ms
    - NfcService:mRoutingWakeLock -- 3 600 000ms
    - NlpCollectorWakeLock -- 600 000ms

Take in mind that this wakelocks are blocked without impacting ANY functionality of the phone. You may want to increase the time if don't use geolocation at your own risk

More tweaks (improve smoothness and perceived UI speed):
    This is a highly WIP part, setting anything different might break your system or get your phone into bootloop (happend twice to me). I highly suggest to have a backup if you want to fiddle more with these settings. You are advised. If you find something useful, please share.

1) Download HEBF and L Speed. These two apps have many tweaks to improve UX and saves a little bit more juice.
    2) Open up L Speed and set it this way:
    - Main tweaks: Activate Kernel sleepers optimization, Improve scrolling, Liquid smooth UI
    - Battery: Activate Battery improvement
    - LNET Optimizer: Activate all the tweaks and set NET Buffers to small (or big, but it wastes more battery)
    - Seeder: Set to Enlarger mode
    - Settings: apply on boot delay set to 60 sec.
    3) Open up HEBF and set it this way:
    - Set user type to "Chuck Norris" and proceed.
    - Battery: Activate Google play services drain fix (Master) and usage report
    4) Go into Settings > Developer options and scale all animations to 0.5x

Done, if you done all of this correctly you should see a dramatic improvement on battery life and performance.
    I still reccomend to use Naptime, or better, Greenify to save some extra juice.

Have a good day, and enjoy your phone!
    Please comment with your battery stats or suggestions if you wish to improve this topic.
    What is your SOT then and how much difference did you find following this post and applying these changes?

Ahem, i wrote the guide.
    Well, my sot is around 6,5h-7h
    Today's battery performance pic

Well, pretty good for me!

That's pretty much why.
    Ok so how do I get root? I followed all the steps but when I go into the Magisk app I don't have root and can't work out how to get it...?
    Flash supersu in twrp recovery.