FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Guide/Tutorial] Fix Nexus 6P Bootloop of Death Boot Image Patch - Android 8.1 & More

1,729 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,592

Post Reply Email Thread
A Fix for the Nexus 6P Bootloop of Death

Read Me
This requires you to have an unlocked bootloader. You can try different methods to get your phone to boot up and to enable OEM unlocking so you are able to unlock the bootloader and flash these 4core patched boot images.

Note
Not to deduct from the original work of @XCnathan32 or @xls654 in the original thread, but some members have asked me if I would like to create a new thread that is more regularly updated to make it easier for new and returning people to find the appropriate downloads.

You can visit the original thread here.

What needed to be fixed?
This explanation was taken from the original thread. Minor adjustments made.

The problem with most of the devices in a BLOD, is that a hardware failure related to the BIG cluster has occurred. This fix remedies the problem by disabling the BIG cores. Unfortunately, this does mean that you will take a performance hit.

The ramdisk has been modified to reflect use of the 4 cores that remain enabled. This should help performance.

What if my phone doesn't have an unlocked bootloader yet?
You'll want to try heating up your phone just underneath the camera, or leaving it on a low charge in order to get it to boot. Then quickly enable OEM unlocking in the developer options. Different ways of doing it may be explored in the original thread (see above).

Downloads and Instructions on Post #2
Tutorial on patching your own boot images on Post #3

Happy flashing!

Changelog

18/01/2018 - Updated new bootloader unlocking method via the use of `fastboot flashing unlock_critical`
9/01/2018 - Last added TheToto318 AFH Folder, MrMarques01 ElementalX and LOS 15.1 Unofficial (KevinIPS)
8/12/2017 - Initial Post
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to squabbi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift squabbi Ad-Free

8th December 2017, 07:53 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

Donate to Me
More
Info 2 Downloads Section & Flashing Instructions
Downloads

No more patching each image! Thanks to @osm0sis 's AnyKernel2, has made available a flashable zip that can patch the current kernel and recovery! So there's no more need in patching each image manually. You can find the downloads at osm0sis's BasketBuild: https://basketbuild.com/devs/osm0sis/osmods

Take a look at the BLOD Workaround AK2 .zip as well as the patched versions of TWRP with FBE support.

Original post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...postcount=2142

If you can't access TWRP for whatever reason, I have patched more of the recent boot images. You can find them as the factory images get released: https://basketbuild.com/devs/squabbi...r/4core-images

Instructions / Flashing Guide

To use these images in a TL;DR way of saying it, is to flash or boot a patched TWRP image and then flash the BLOD Workaround ZIP provided above last!

(Old) YouTube guide for the following instructions: https://youtu.be/czMMp2M6SEo

Now for the more detailed way.

Downloads
Procedure
You must have the latest version of the SDK Platform Tools or you may experience issues when flashing the images.
You must also need to have an unlocked bootloader.

If you need help installing drivers for your phone, follow this video and skip to the bootloader driver installation part:
https://youtu.be/NGy85rFFhLM?t=4m29s
You must have downloaded the Google USB drivers in the more info of the video!

Script for Reviving a BLOD Device using patched boot images (No TWRP)
Have a look at this great script made by @R3tro7, my quick look says it should do the job just fine!
https://forum.xda-developers.com/nex...oping-t3761085

For Reviving a BLOD Device
Unlock the bootloader.
Flash/boot patched TWRP.
Flash BLOD Workaround ZIP.
Reboot.

For Updating a BLOD Device
  1. Extract the bootloader and radio images from the downloaded Factory Image
  2. Open the 'images-angler-xxxxx.zip' inside the Factory Image
  3. Extract the system and vendor images.
  4. Reboot your phone into the bootloader.
  5. First update the bootloader: fastboot flash bootloader *drag in extracted bootloader image*.
  6. Reboot back into the bootloader: fastboot reboot-bootloader.
  7. Flash the updated Radio image: fastboot flash radio *drag radio image here*.
  8. Flash the updated boot image: fastboot flash boot *drag boot image here*.
  9. Flash updated system image: fastboot flash system *drag extracted system image here*.
  10. Flash the updated Vendor image: fastboot flash vendor *drag extracted vendor image here*.
  11. Flash the updated PATCHED TWRP: fastboot flash recovery *drag patched TWRP image here*.
  12. Reboot into recovery mode using the volume buttons to change the selection and press the power button to select.
  13. Flash the Magisk zip in TWRP.
  14. Flash the BLOD Workaround ZIP (remember to flash this ZIP last).
  15. Reboot
  16. ...
  17. Profit $$$

Previous images & TWRP /data decryption:

Patched Image Collections
All 4core patches can be found in my Android File Host folder.
@TheToto318 Collection - Android File Host Folder
This collection contains (may not be up to date):
  • Super XE 8.1.0_r2
  • TWRP 3.2.1-0
  • crDroidAndroid 8.1 20180103
  • LineageOS 15.1 - 20171229
  • Nitrogen-OS-O - 20171226
  • ElementalX N6P 6.01
  • crDroidAndroid 8.1 - 20180107
  • Nitrogen-OS - 20180106

Assorted Downloads
However, for ease of use, here are the links by build number:

Android Nougat Custom ROMs (7.0-7.1)
AOSiP 6.3 SLOBS - MD5: bac7c0ae9c84c9b9a730c2146c145e42

Android Oreo (8.0)
8.0.0 (OPR5.170623.007, Oct 2017) - MD5: ec04aac81a4967712d1c8e619ef400f5
8.0.0 (Unknown Build), build by @SkinlessMage006

Android Oreo (8.1)
8.1.0 (OPM1.171019.011, Dec 2017) - MD5: d1f34010ada50a34b446ab23d2cf850a
Source: GitHub
8.1.0 (Unknown Build), build by @SkinlessMage006
8.1.0 (OPM3.171019.013, Jan 2018) - MD5: 0d937293bfc53cf820c8ee43200d7676
May, June and July Builds of Android

Android Oreo 8.1 Custom ROMs
SuperXE - OPM2.171019.012(8.1.0_r2), thanks to @TheToto318
LineageOS 15.1 Unofficial (Unknown Build). Thanks to @kevinips
Nitrogen-OS-angler-20180106 4 Cores Fix. Thanks to @TheToto318
crDroidAndroid-8.1-20180103 4 Cores Fix. Thanks to @TheToto318
crDroidAndroid-8.1-20180107-angler-v4.0-BETA7 4 Cores Fix. Thanks to @TheToto318
Nitrogen-OS-O-angler-20171226 4 Cores Fix. Thanks to @TheToto318
lineage-15.1-20171229 4 Cores Fix. Thanks to @TheToto318

Android Oreo (8.1) Custom Kernels
Elemental-X 6.00 4-core- Thanks to: @MrMarques01
Instructions & Source: XDA Post #18
Elemental-X 6.01 4-core- Thanks to: @MrMarques01
Instructions & Source: XDA Post #114

TWRP
TWRP 3.2.0-0 - MD5: fdf4030d46a1be1af72777b02271fb21
TWRP 3.2.1-0 - MD5: 11c769711c02912abaa77cebf663e656

TWRP can't Decrypt my Data Partition!

If TWRP cannot decrypt your /data partition, you will need to format the userdata and ensure you do not use a boot image that forces encryption! All stock boot images do by default so be careful!

To format your userdata partition you can do it in either TWRP or the bootloader via fastboot.
  • Via fastboot: fastboot format userdata
  • The boot into TWRP, and it should load your internal storage.

OR
  1. Boot into TWRP.
  2. Select Wipe
  3. Then Advanced Wipe
  4. And check 'Internal Storage'
  5. Swipe to wipe.
  6. Reboot back into recovery.
  7. TWRP should load your internal storage.
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to squabbi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift squabbi Ad-Free
8th December 2017, 07:53 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

Donate to Me
More
Prompt Patch your own Boot images to use 4 Cores
Here is a YouTube tutorial if you prefer that instead: https://youtu.be/PhObuifEp3Y

[YOUTUBE]PhObuifEp3Y[/YOUTUBE]

Introduction

Patching your own boot image is quite simple, all you need is essentially one tool, your boot image you want to patch and that's about it. The time it takes to patch one may take around 5-10 minutes and less as you get more comfortable with it.

If you feel this is still a little tricky, you can upload the boot image and send me a PM or reply to this thread and I, or someone will patch it for you.

Downloads

Steps
1. Extract the Android Image Kitchen zip that you downloaded. The extracted folder/files should look like this:

Android Image Kitchen Folder SS

Drag the boot image you want to patch onto the unpackimg.bat, as for Linux or macOS AIK downloads, you will probably need to use the script via the Terminal in a way like this:

Code:
./unpackimg.sh '~/Downloads/boot.img'
Once the image is unpacked, 2 new folders will be created: split_img and ramdisk.

AIK unpackimg script SS

Now you'll need to edit 3 files in total. Details can be found on GitHub here: https://github.com/squabbi/4core-boo...pm1.171019.011

Once you've done that, just run the repackimg.bat script again and you should see a new file created: image-new.img. This is your newly patched boot image.

Flash it via fastboot or TWRP and see if your phone boots.

Optionally run the cleanup.bat script to return your AIK into a clean state for your next boot image to patch. Be sure to copy the image-new.img to another directory or rename it, otherwise it will be cleaned up! (deleted)

Now that you've patched your boot image, the last step you need to do is share it! Post it as a reply here in this thread and I'll add it to the downloads post, just make sure to mention me using the '@' symbol. Or alternatively, send me a PM and I'll add it to the downloads post as well.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to squabbi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift squabbi Ad-Free
8th December 2017, 08:15 AM |#4  
Flag North Caloocan
Thanks Meter: 36

More
I was closely monitoring the original thread and couldn't keep up OP is not updated for the newer build (DP's and the latest official).
This is a great thread for those who are like me. I just hope first OP would not mind.

Thank you all for your tinkering!

EDIT: does any of your patched boot.img work with any Oreo custom rom? Just asking for when I get bored with stock.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kemistry01 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kemistry01 Ad-Free
8th December 2017, 08:48 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemistry01

I was closely monitoring the original thread and couldn't keep up OP is not updated for the newer build (DP's and the latest official).
This is a great thread for those who are like me. I just hope first OP would not mind.

Thank you all for your tinkering!

EDIT: does any of your patched boot.img work with any Oreo custom rom? Just asking for when I get bored with stock.

I too hope they won't mind.

I always thought that each ROM needed their own boot image, so I would assume that the stock Oreo one will not work on custom ROMs.

I'm more than happy to take requests for patching boot images, so just upload the boot image and send me a link. I'll patch it and then add it to post #2.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to squabbi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift squabbi Ad-Free
8th December 2017, 08:24 PM |#6  
Flag Brasília
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Wow man! Thanks for keeping the bootloop solution alive!
Do you know if there is any performance difference when using that modified ElementalX kernel from the other bootloop thread and using just the modded boot image?
9th December 2017, 01:30 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Talking Android 8.1 Working Great
Just flashed your 4-core version of TWRP 3.2 and the Android 8.1 boot image, Nexus 6P seems to have updated fine and is running reasonably smooth. Thanks for making a new post and releasing updated 4-core stuff!
9th December 2017, 02:17 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thank you for turning my paperweight 6P into a functional device!
10th December 2017, 04:55 PM |#9  
How can I update to 8.1 and use 4 core mod? I'm running 8.0 currently.
10th December 2017, 11:52 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 248

More
Hi squabbi,

First of all thanks for your great work. I'm currently trying to patch the latest ElementalX kernel to used 4 cores only, but I'm a little bit confused as to which files need to be changed, since the github page from post 3 doesn't really detail that. Is it only the changes in fstab, init.angler.rc and boot.img-cmdline (the changes made in the commit history), or does anything else need to be changed?
Thanks for your help

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I figured it out. I think all that needs to be changed is to add maxcpus=4 to the last line of cmdline.sh for ElementalX to use 4 cores only (provided a modified stock boot.img was flashed before ElementalX kernel). I'll test it later and if it's working I'll post the modified ElementalX kernel for Android 8.1.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMarques01 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MrMarques01 Ad-Free
11th December 2017, 07:02 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb_14

How can I update to 8.1 and use 4 core mod? I'm running 8.0 currently.

There are instructions in post 2.
The Following User Says Thank You to squabbi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift squabbi Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4core, boot, bootloop, fix, patch

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)