Preparations in case of dreaded bootloop

Search This thread

thebordella

Apr 9, 2013
Yes, I bought a secondhand Nexus 6P. Original owner bought it new Sep 2015. Battery has about 75% capacity - may install a new one myself.

So far, no bootloop. But if it does happen, I'd like to be ready to install the 'fix' from XDA. What steps do I need to take in advance, so I'm not totally hosed if the bootloop happens? I already enabled developer options and enabled OEM bootloader unlocking.

I'm not looking to actually unlock or root in advance, unless that is necessary. Any other preparatory steps required ... just in case? Thanks!

v12xke

Dec 5, 2010
The Woodlands, TX
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 7
Yes, I bought a secondhand Nexus 6P. Original owner bought it new Sep 2015. Battery has about 75% capacity - may install a new one myself. So far, no bootloop. But if it does happen, I'd like to be ready to install the 'fix' from XDA. What steps do I need to take in advance, so I'm not totally hosed if the bootloop happens? I already enabled developer options and enabled OEM bootloader unlocking. I'm not looking to actually unlock or root in advance, unless that is necessary. Any other preparatory steps required ... just in case? Thanks!
Go ahead and unlock it now because when you are forced to, it will wipe your device and you will lose your data. The time to unlock is when you first get the phone, or coming off a factory reset. That, and install TWRP recovery. At 75% your battery is due for replacement. Cameron Sino is the brand you want.

.vermilion

Aug 31, 2011
near Berlin
500px.com
Yes, I bought a secondhand Nexus 6P. Original owner bought it new Sep 2015. Battery has about 75% capacity - may install a new one myself.

So far, no bootloop. But if it does happen, I'd like to be ready to install the 'fix' from XDA. What steps do I need to take in advance, so I'm not totally hosed if the bootloop happens? I already enabled developer options and enabled OEM bootloader unlocking.

I'm not looking to actually unlock or root in advance, unless that is necessary. Any other preparatory steps required ... just in case? Thanks!

Yes, unlock your bootloader now...

I got this bootloop all of a sudden and all possibilities to get it boot again failed.
I put it in the freezer when turned off and tried to boot it again, I tried to heat it up and boot, I tried to let it discharge a lot - no, it won't boot. Recovery wasn't reachable either...
Yeah... I was stuck in a 5 hour bootloop, my phone fully discharged and didn't turn on again. It wasn't even able to recognize the charger being plugged in at the end.
The "funny" thing was: When I turned it off (I was able to access the bootloader) and plugged in the charger, it automatically turned on, bootlooping again.
No chance to do anything... It's in repair now.

Sent from my OnePlus 5 using XDA Labs