Access Point Names settings are not available for this user

Search This thread

chrisjz

Aug 24, 2010
Japan
I had a cellphone plan with SoftBank(Japanese phone service). I recently cancelled the plan, and purchased a Sim card from a cheap carrier for just data.

One of the steps to activate the card is to go into the Mobile Network settings and add a APN. But opening up the APN settings, I see the error "Access Point Names settings are not available for this user". I can add them, but they don't save.

When I put my old sim card (deactivated one) into my phone, I don't get the error for the APN settings. In fact I see a bunch of pre-installed APNs, but when I go to add an APN, and then hit save, it doesn't add it.

This is for both my and my wife's Nexus 6p. I've tried resetting one of the devices, and still get the same problem.

Any idea why we can't add any APNs?

Attachments

• Screenshot_Settings_20180610-191623.png
    Screenshot_Settings_20180610-191623.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 148

Exodusche

Feb 18, 2016
I had a cellphone plan with SoftBank(Japanese phone service). I recently cancelled the plan, and purchased a Sim card from a cheap carrier for just data.

One of the steps to activate the card is to go into the Mobile Network settings and add a APN. But opening up the APN settings, I see the error "Access Point Names settings are not available for this user". I can add them, but they don't save.

When I put my old sim card (deactivated one) into my phone, I don't get the error for the APN settings. In fact I see a bunch of pre-installed APNs, but when I go to add an APN, and then hit save, it doesn't add it.

This is for both my and my wife's Nexus 6p. I've tried resetting one of the devices, and still get the same problem.

Any idea why we can't add any APNs?

Maybe try updating to the latest factory build.

Last edited:

chrisjz

Aug 24, 2010
Japan
I got it figured out. Turns out, my phone was unlocked but they didn't give me an activation code to actually unlock it. Called their customer service, and they were able to give it to me.

binholz

Mar 29, 2018
im having this problem with my nexus 6p and chatr. i got my phone from factorydirect so it should be unlocked. i have unrooted my phone and factory reset it already and no luck. any advice?

thanks

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

i dont even have an option to add a new apn.

p_porows

Nov 1, 2019
update?

im having this problem with my nexus 6p and chatr. i got my phone from factorydirect so it should be unlocked. i have unrooted my phone and factory reset it already and no luck. any advice?

[/COLOR]i dont even have an option to add a new apn.

@binholz
Have you figured it out yet ? I have not despite several hours of troubleshooting and scouring the web.
Several threads elsewhere make mention of this exact issue but offer no solution.
Let us know!