Let's figure out this brick together!

Search This thread

tr4nqui1i7y

Mar 2, 2011
I have a few ideas as to why the certain devices are getting, seemingly, hard-bricked. I won't put the info out there yet, I'd like to get more data first.

Can everyone do me a favour and fill this out? I want to try to find the exact issue at hand so we can better fight against it.

FORM:This info is found in the bootloader
Bootloader -
Baseband -
Variant -
CPU -
EMMC -
DRAM -
Console -
Qfuse status -
Download Mode -
This is found in bootloader - barcodes
Manufacture date -
Brief description of where the bootlooping started - Ex. "I was pushing system files via adb, and cmoding them. I ran SELinux fix in TWRP 3.0.2-0. Upon restoring my backup, I got bootloops"
I was able to fix the bootloop with these EXACT steps - OR*
*I have not been able to fix my device*
I have tried methods - *METHODS WILL BE IN POST #2*

My device is
Bootloader - 3.58
Baseband - 3.72
Variant - VN2
CPU - 0x20001
eMMC: 32GB Samsung
DRAM: 3072 HYNIX LPDDR4
Console - NULL
Qfuse status - Enabled
Download Mode - Disabled
Manufacture data - 11-13-2015
Methods tried - 1-21

Last edited:

tr4nqui1i7y

Mar 2, 2011
*TWRP #IRC*
Boot phone into TWRP, run these commands. You may have to flash factory images one more time if you get stuck at the splash screen (rather than looping)

Enter adb shell then copy and paste these two lines, separately.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/soc.0/f9824900.sdhci/by-name/modemst1 bs=16384

and

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/soc.0/f9824900.sdhci/by-name/modemst2 bs=16384

This should fix bootloops for most. TWRP 3.2.1-1 causes a fatal error. The above shell commands should get 'most' running.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
All methods below are MTC20F unless otherwise stated.
If you notice a method that worked, that I haven't listed please share with me with the source so I can have a full list.

Method 1
Followed instructions on flashing full firmware, found on g.co/ABH

Method 2
Followed instructions for OTA, found on g.co/ABH

Method 3
Followed @Heisenberg instructions in the HOWTO for manually flashing firmware via fastboot

Method 4
Flashed stock firmware, then wiped data/cache in stock recovery

Method 5
Flashed stock firmware, then wiped data/cache in TWRP 3.0.2-0

Method 6
Flashed stock firmware, then wiped data/cache in TWRP 3.0.2-1

Method 7
Flashed firmware via fastboot, then flashed full stock firmware through twrp (specify which version)

Method 8
Flashed firmware via fastboot, then flashed OTA firmware through twrp (specify which version)

Method 9
Utilized Wugs tool to flash full firmware

Method 10

Flashed firmware via fastboot, then sideload OTA via adb

Method 11
Flashed firmware, then flash your own TWRP backup

Method 12
@Eric214 says
Advanced wipe - System, Data, Cache and Dalvik.
Flash vendor image MTC20F.
Flash PureNexus, Gapps, SuperSu 2.76.
Reboot.

Method 13
Factory reset, flash TWRP, resize and repair all partitions, flash stock again via fastboot

Method 14
Factory reset, flash TWRP, resize and repair all partitions, flash stock again via update.zip

Method 15
@shiftr182 method
Fastboot firmware, flash twrp, repair and resize, flash nougat bootloader, flash nougat update from HERE

Method 16
@neaznc021 method
"I'll note down the exact steps , most of which may or may not be relevant
1) Flashed MTC20F using TWRP 3.0.2-1
2) Booted into recovery and wiped everything and the partitions
- Add - Booted back into twrp 3.0.2-1 and then swiped to allow modifications
3) Then fastboot flashed TWRP 3.0.2-0
4) Restored my backup ( except recovery)
5) Still got stuck in the google screen.
Now the next parts are a bit weird
6) Booted into TWRP, flashed vendor.img from pure nexus rom
7) wiped everything except internal storage
8) Flashed vendor.img, pure nexus rom and gapps and then flashed vendor.img again
9) Rebooted and it worked"

Method 17
Fastboot stock, flash backup, flash MM ROM

Method 18
@rbouza1 method
"Fastboot format user data partition
Run factory image
Fastboot bootloader radio vendor
Flash twrp
Try and boot if not flash stock rom /any mm rom boot into twrp and try a restore. Those were my steps and it worked"

Method 19
@FragmentsOfLife method
1. Flash a stock image (I used the August stock image MTC20F)
2. Fastboot flash TWRP 3.0.2-0
3. Boot into TWRP
4. Select Wipe -> Advanced Wipe -> Select and repair each partition individually (some won't be able to, and that's fine, just move on to the next one)
5. Restore a full nandroid backup (make sure everything is selected) and reboot
6. You should now be free of the never ending boots, and if your device is bootlooped at this point (stuck at the boot animation), you can just flash stock again.

Method 20 @avivasaf
"Got backup from my friend, you need this!
Format userdata
Flash twrp
Make any backup
Move the good backup to the file backup
Restore it
Flash any Mm rom(i flashed cm13)
Fastboot flash mm bootloader, radio, vendor
And you got it!!!!"

Method 21
@Azhar05 method
flash developer preview 5 and flash latest twrp and then copy mtc 20f vendor image to twrp folder and then in twrp install image mtc 20f

Method 22
Let me know if you have more!

Last edited:

sixgunmojo

Jun 11, 2013
I have a few ideas as to why the certain devices are getting, seemingly, hard-bricked. I won't put the info out there yet, I'd like to get more data first.

Can everyone do me a favour and fill this out? I want to try to find the exact issue at hand so we can better fight against it.

Bootloader -
Baseband -
Variant -
CPU -
EMMC -
DRAM -
Console -
Qfuse status -
Download Mode -
This is found in bootloader - barcodes
Manufacture date -
Brief description of where the bootlooping started - Ex. "I was pushing system files via adb, and cmoding them. I ran SELinux fix in TWRP 3.0.2-0. Upon restoring my backup, I got bootloops"
I was able to fix the bootloop with these EXACT steps - OR*
*I have not been able to fix my device*
I have tried methods - *METHODS WILL BE IN POST #2*

My device is
Bootloader - 3.58
Baseband - 3.72
Variant - VN2
CPU - 0x20001
eMMC: 32GB Samsung
DRAM: 3072 HYNIX LPDDR4
Console - NULL
Qfuse status - Enabled
Download Mode - Disabled
Manufacture data - 11-13-2015

I don't have this problem but I have noticed that it appears that a lot of people with bootloop problems have either explicitly stated that they are "on TWRP 3.0.2-1" or say "I updated to latest TWRP". I've seen it mentioned enough times that I'm almost starting to wonder if there is an issue with TWRP 3.0.2-1. Just throwing this out, don't know if it helps or if you would also wish to collect TWRP version.

I would also like to see this issue resolved just for my own personal satisfaction. Good luck.

Edit - well hell you ninja'd me. I swear post #2 was reserved when I typed this.

tr4nqui1i7y

Mar 2, 2011
[/HIDE]

I don't have this problem but I have noticed that it appears that a lot of people with bootloop problems have either explicitly stated that they are "on TWRP 3.0.2-1" or say "I updated to latest TWRP". I've seen it mentioned enough times that I'm almost starting to wonder if there is an issue with TWRP 3.0.2-1. Just throwing this out, don't know if it helps or if you would also wish to collect TWRP version.

I would also like to see this issue resolved just for my own personal satisfaction. Good luck.

Edit - well hell you ninja'd me. I swear post #2 was reserved when I typed this.

Thanks, that would be useful. I'm thinking of how to incorporate that in a simple enough way that people don't accidentally provide incorrect information.

busbeepbeep

Nov 8, 2007
New Orleans
Bootloader - angler-03.54
Baseband - angler-03.61
Variant - ANGLER-VN2
CPU - MSM8994 0x20001
EMMC - 64GB Samsung
DRAM - 3072MB HYNIX LPDDR4
Console - NULL
Device : Locked
Qfuse status - Enabled
Download Mode - Disabled
Manufacture date - 10/20/2015

Brief description of where the bootlooping started -
Stock, locked bootloader. Attempted OTA Friday night. It downloaded, then prompted to install. After some time I checked the phone, it had rebooted, but still in 6.0.1. It said Update failed, please try again. The OTA update came back up and asked me to download again. I decided to worry it about it later cause I needed to use the phone at that time.

On Sunday, phone locked up for 10 seconds while browsing CHrome, then restarted itself. Bootloop, showing the white google logo for 10 seconds, then black screen for 2 seconds, then back to google, infinite looping.

I can access the bootloader screen. From there, choosing any option besides Power Off results in the same bootloop with white google logo. Can't access recovery.

Contacted Google Support, they're sending me a new device. Very bizarre. It's crazy. After the failed OTA, I backed up some things from my device. I was going to research and finally unlock bootloader and root, and then phone crapped out before I had the chance.

I have tried methods - can't do anything except see the bootloader screen or the barcodes screen. Anything else results in white google logo

tr4nqui1i7y

Mar 2, 2011
Baseband - angler-03.61
Variant - ANGLER-VN2
CPU - MSM8994 0x20001
EMMC - 64GB Samsung
Console - NULL
Qfuse status - Enabled
Download Mode - Disabled

Stock, locked bootloader. Attempted OTA Friday night. It downloaded, then prompted to install. After some time I checked the phone, it had rebooted, but still in 6.0.1. It said Update failed, please try again. The OTA update came back up and asked me to download again. I decided to worry it about it later cause I needed to use the phone at that time.

On Sunday, phone locked up for 10 seconds while browsing CHrome, then restarted itself. Bootloop, showing the white google logo for 10 seconds, then black screen for 2 seconds, then back to google, infinite looping.

I can access the bootloader screen. From there, choosing any option besides Power Off results in the same bootloop with white google logo. Can't access recovery.

Contacted Google Support, they're sending me a new device. Very bizarre. It's crazy. After the failed OTA, I backed up some things from my device. I was going to research and finally unlock bootloader and root, and then phone crapped out before I had the chance.

I have tried methods - can't do anything except see the bootloader screen or the barcodes screen. Anything else results in white google logo

Your device isn't recognized by adb/fastboot?

busbeepbeep

Nov 8, 2007
New Orleans
Your device isn't recognized by adb/fastboot?
Let me know if there are others commands I can try. At any rate, my replacement device is arriving Wednesday.

This is what I get:

adb devices: reports blank

fastboot devices: report serial #

adb reboot bootloader: reboots bootloader

adb reboot recovery: error: no devices/emulators found

fastboot flashing unlock: FAILED (remote: oem unlock is not allow)finished. total time: 0.014s

fastboot reboot: reboots and goes into white logo loop

tr4nqui1i7y

Mar 2, 2011
Let me know if there are others commands I can try. At any rate, my replacement device is arriving Wednesday.

This is what I get:

adb devices: reports blank

fastboot devices: report serial #

adb reboot bootloader: reboots bootloader

adb reboot recovery: error: no devices/emulators found

fastboot flashing unlock: FAILED (remote: oem unlock is not allow)finished. total time: 0.014s

fastboot reboot: reboots and goes into white logo loop

Try this tool to make things a little easier, and more automated for now. Wugs

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
Well I was able to update normally by flashing stock images and taking the OTA Thru the Phone. I did have an issue 2 days ago where I decided to wipe my phone and restore stock backup 7.0 At this point I started getting the boot loop nothing seemed to work so I'm assuming the newest version of TWRP has an issue with restoring backups on Nougat. Trying everything didn't work but what I had was my original EFS backups and the original stock back up from my phone which I believe was 29 Q I installed pure Nexus August 21st build restored my stock ROM and restored my EFS partition backup. Phone booted perfectly.

So now I'm wondering if the issue may lie in the efs partition.

Reactions: tr4nqui1i7y

tr4nqui1i7y

Mar 2, 2011
Well I was able to update normally by flashing stock images and taking the OTA Thru the Phone. I did have an issue 2 days ago where I decided to wipe my phone and restore stock backup 7.0 At this point I started getting the boot loop nothing seemed to work so I'm assuming the newest version of TWRP has an issue with restoring backups on Nougat. Trying everything didn't work but what I had was my original EFS backups and the original stock back up from my phone which I believe was 29 Q I installed pure Nexus August 21st build restored my stock ROM and restored my EFS partition backup. Phone booted perfectly.

So now I'm wondering if the issue may lie in the efs partition.

What eMMC is your device using, if you don't mind?

tr4nqui1i7y

Mar 2, 2011
Stock MTC20F ->adb sideload OTA -> Successfully booted and used N today. Factory Reset ->ensured OEM Unlock was still enabled -> flashed latest twrp -> performed full wipe including formatting data -> flashed MTC20F Vendor -> ran Flash-all script from factory image of MTC20F -> Running full stock MTC20F

To clarify, this is for users to upgrade to N, then downgrade back to MM safely. This is not to correct the bootloop, correct?

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
Just to clarify, you were able to get your device to boot?

Originally i had no issues I flashed factory images from Pure Nexus June build Via Fastboot. Rebooted the phone and took the OTA through the phone and then flashed TWRP 3.0.2-1 (the Newest one) and through TWRP flashed SuperSU 2.76 then FDR the phone before setting it up. All was fine and perfect. I made a backup and then factory data reset my phone Saturday and then restrored the backup. No go, Bootloop city. Got home did most of what was mentioned and nothing happened. Flashed PN through TWRP 3.0.2-1 and flashed my stock rom that came with the phone in Feb (29Q) and restored my EFS (I backup my EFS after any Android version change). The phone booted perfectly. no issues since. Took me about 2 hours total once i got home and was able to start using ADB and Fastboot commands.

---------- Post added at 11:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Also i forgot to add my info....

BL: 03.58
Baseband: 3.72
Varient: Angler-VN2
CPU: 0x20001
eMMC: 64GB Toshiba
DRAM: 3072MB Samsung LDDR4
UNLOCKED
Qfuse status: ENABLED
Off-mode-charge: Enabled
Download Mode: DISABLED

I also forgot, I was enrolled in the beta program obviously since i took the OTA through the phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone! I bring news from the TWRP developers from the #TWRP IRC channel! TWRP 3.0.2-1 has a fatal bug! If you backup and restore EFS it will brick you! Do not backup and restore EFS on 3.0.2-1! Use 3.0.2-0 instead! This has already been fixed in the newer builds!

If you have been bricked you NEED to Erase the EFS partitions and that will fix it immediately.
    For the Nexus 6P go to TWRP. Then on PC Open Command Prompt with access to ADB ( Android Debug Bridge) and execute the following commands:
    ADB shell dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/soc.0/f9824900.sdhci/by-name/modemst1 bs=16384

and

ADB Shell dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/soc.0/f9824900.sdhci/by-name/modemst2 bs=16384

This should fix it for ANY Nexus 6P users. Users on other phones with the same problem await instructions!
    I actually got out from this freaking BOOTLOOP!

I actually did it! oh my god i actually did it! i got out from the freaking bootloop! and trust me i tried EVERYHTING else. Only this method, for me at least, helped. I will described exactly what i did.
    1. You need a nandroid backup. Any nandroid backup for your phone is good i think. You NEED to know what version of nandroid backup you are having, and what version of ROM.
    2. Wiped, erased everything on my phone.
    3. Reverted my phone to stock version of the nandroid. (Google Factory) (For me i reverted to MTC20F full stock because my nandroid backup was on PureNexus MTC20F, used flash all.bat)
    4. Tried booting to system but failed, still bootlooped.
    5. Flashed TWRP, for me, TWRP 3.0.2.0 works. My suggestion, don't go above this version of TWRP, lots of problems!
    5. Flashed the custom ROM the nandroid you had (for me, the nandroid backup was PureNexus MTC20F 6.0.1, so i flashed the PureNexus ROM running MTC20F vendor)
    6. I tried rebooting to system, but not to avail.
    7. I restored the nandroid backup i had earlier.
    8. Progress, the boot animation appeared. Before, only Google logo poped out and then it restarts again.
    9. Flash back to full stock MTC20F. (flash all.bat without wiping anything)
    10. The phone fully boots!

Goodluck guys! it took me an all nighter. I tried everything people and the internet guides me but nothing helped. This is the only one that actually worked for me. Thank God!
    *TWRP #IRC*
    Boot phone into TWRP, run these commands. You may have to flash factory images one more time if you get stuck at the splash screen (rather than looping)

Enter adb shell then copy and paste these two lines, separately.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/soc.0/f9824900.sdhci/by-name/modemst1 bs=16384

and

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/soc.0/f9824900.sdhci/by-name/modemst2 bs=16384

This should fix bootloops for most. TWRP 3.2.1-1 causes a fatal error. The above shell commands should get 'most' running.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    All methods below are MTC20F unless otherwise stated.
    If you notice a method that worked, that I haven't listed please share with me with the source so I can have a full list.

Method 1
    Followed instructions on flashing full firmware, found on g.co/ABH

Method 2
    Followed instructions for OTA, found on g.co/ABH

Method 3
    Followed @Heisenberg instructions in the HOWTO for manually flashing firmware via fastboot

Method 4
    Flashed stock firmware, then wiped data/cache in stock recovery

Method 5
    Flashed stock firmware, then wiped data/cache in TWRP 3.0.2-0

Method 6
    Flashed stock firmware, then wiped data/cache in TWRP 3.0.2-1

Method 7
    Flashed firmware via fastboot, then flashed full stock firmware through twrp (specify which version)

Method 8
    Flashed firmware via fastboot, then flashed OTA firmware through twrp (specify which version)

Method 9
    Utilized Wugs tool to flash full firmware

Method 10

Flashed firmware via fastboot, then sideload OTA via adb

Method 11
    Flashed firmware, then flash your own TWRP backup

Method 12
    @Eric214 says
    Advanced wipe - System, Data, Cache and Dalvik.
    Flash vendor image MTC20F.
    Flash PureNexus, Gapps, SuperSu 2.76.
    Reboot.

Method 13
    Factory reset, flash TWRP, resize and repair all partitions, flash stock again via fastboot

Method 14
    Factory reset, flash TWRP, resize and repair all partitions, flash stock again via update.zip

Method 15
    @shiftr182 method
    Fastboot firmware, flash twrp, repair and resize, flash nougat bootloader, flash nougat update from HERE

Method 16
    @neaznc021 method
    "I'll note down the exact steps , most of which may or may not be relevant
    1) Flashed MTC20F using TWRP 3.0.2-1
    2) Booted into recovery and wiped everything and the partitions
    - Add - Booted back into twrp 3.0.2-1 and then swiped to allow modifications
    3) Then fastboot flashed TWRP 3.0.2-0
    4) Restored my backup ( except recovery)
    5) Still got stuck in the google screen.
    Now the next parts are a bit weird
    6) Booted into TWRP, flashed vendor.img from pure nexus rom
    7) wiped everything except internal storage
    8) Flashed vendor.img, pure nexus rom and gapps and then flashed vendor.img again
    9) Rebooted and it worked"

Method 17
    Fastboot stock, flash backup, flash MM ROM

Method 18
    @rbouza1 method
    "Fastboot format user data partition
    Run factory image
    Fastboot bootloader radio vendor
    Flash twrp
    Try and boot if not flash stock rom /any mm rom boot into twrp and try a restore. Those were my steps and it worked"

Method 19
    @FragmentsOfLife method
    1. Flash a stock image (I used the August stock image MTC20F)
    2. Fastboot flash TWRP 3.0.2-0
    3. Boot into TWRP
    4. Select Wipe -> Advanced Wipe -> Select and repair each partition individually (some won't be able to, and that's fine, just move on to the next one)
    5. Restore a full nandroid backup (make sure everything is selected) and reboot
    6. You should now be free of the never ending boots, and if your device is bootlooped at this point (stuck at the boot animation), you can just flash stock again.

Method 20 @avivasaf
    "Got backup from my friend, you need this!
    Format userdata
    Flash twrp
    Make any backup
    Move the good backup to the file backup
    Restore it
    Flash any Mm rom(i flashed cm13)
    Fastboot flash mm bootloader, radio, vendor
    And you got it!!!!"

Method 21
    @Azhar05 method
    flash developer preview 5 and flash latest twrp and then copy mtc 20f vendor image to twrp folder and then in twrp install image mtc 20f

Method 22
    Let me know if you have more!
    This is exactly my case. I was on the latest PN, browsing Chrome yesterday. Then phone suddenly restarted and I'm stuck in the bootloop. I've tried all solutions I could find and nothing worked for me. Luckily, I still have a warranty.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Same case here, I bought mine in Best Buy. I guess it won't be so easy like dealing with Google.
    As long as it's within its year warranty just call Huawei and tell them. Just call and tell them and that you're phone is stuck powering on and off and it that it happened after the update. Mine went into a boot loop last week as well. I was able to use fastboot to restore phone to stock and lock bootloader using Wugs toolkit. I already received an email telling me that my phone was under the year warranty and that they will try and fix it or send a replacement. Also don't even mention that you bought it at Best Buy. He didn't even ask so I didn't volunteer.
    Baseband - angler-03.61
    Variant - ANGLER-VN2
    CPU - MSM8994 0x20001
    EMMC - 64GB Samsung
    Console - NULL
    Qfuse status - Enabled
    Download Mode - Disabled