FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Freezing and Crashing

17 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By Powergreb, Junior Member on 4th November 2015, 01:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I received my 32G model on Nov 28. Firmware MDA89D. Pure stock unmodified in any way. Not even using screen protection or cases. Setup as a new device, not copy from another existing device. I've been getting randon freezes and crashes. When it froze, it did not respond to any touch input or any key input. The only way to get back is to hold down the power button to do a force reboot. It seemed to have settled over the last few days. What I do have on an ongoing basis is crashes. When I use Google map navigation, the phone will work for a few minutes and the screen went black followed by a reboot. It did it on 2 consecutive days already.

Is it just me having this problem therefore a defective unit or is it the OS / Software problem.

4th November 2015, 02:21 PM |#2  
Flag Salt Lake City
Thanks Meter: 239

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powergreb

I received my 32G model on Nov 28. Firmware MDA89D. Pure stock unmodified in any way. Not even using screen protection or cases. Setup as a new device, not copy from another existing device. I've been getting randon freezes and crashes. When it froze, it did not respond to any touch input or any key input. The only way to get back is to hold down the power button to do a force reboot. It seemed to have settled over the last few days. What I do have on an ongoing basis is crashes. When I use Google map navigation, the phone will work for a few minutes and the screen went black followed by a reboot. It did it on 2 consecutive days already.

Is it just me having this problem therefore a defective unit or is it the OS / Software problem.

That is strange...I haven't had that kind of behavior on my Nexus 6-works without a problem-never freezes or reboots...now I know the Amazon app would do something to my Nexus 6 I don't know what but when I install it-my phone with reboot randomly or shut down...ever since I uninstalled it-no issues-for months.
Try running safe mode and see if it does it again-that way you will know if it is an app that's causing the issues. This is how it's done: http://www.greenbot.com/article/2923...safe-mode.html
You can always try a factory reset as well....have you tried updating to the most recent factory image from Google?
14th November 2015, 11:23 PM |#3  
Flag Prince George, BC
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

I've been experiencing the black screen freeze frequently since getting the phone only a couple days ago. No other lockups however. Also running pure stock.
14th November 2015, 11:52 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 53

More
I too have the same issue. Screen goes blank and lock ups. Also running pure edition...
15th November 2015, 05:11 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 68

More
Same. Interestingly, in my case, it seemed to happen most frequently when using Hangouts.
15th November 2015, 03:44 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
I have another post that describes random reboot and I believe they are related. Long story short. I believe either the factory reset + software update fixed it, or it's a hardware problem problem. While I wait for the replacement, I only had one random reboot. Of course the new phone is rock solid. It's only been a couple of days. I would have a few by now if I'm still on original phone _ original firmware.
15th November 2015, 11:24 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Quote:

I have another post that describes random reboot and I believe they are related. Long story short. I believe either the factory reset + software update fixed it, or it's a hardware problem problem. While I wait for the replacement, I only had one random reboot. Of course the new phone is rock solid. It's only been a couple of days. I would have a few by now if I'm still on original phone _ original firmware.

I'm having the same issue. So no random freeze leading to reboot with ur rma device?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
15th November 2015, 11:31 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member

More
What I'm trying to say is don't panic and RMA your device. Do a factory reset and make sure you're on the latest firmware. Mine was OK after the first self-reboot during setup after factory reset but has been good while waiting for the RMA to arrive. To answer your question, the new device has been perfect but it's only been 48 hours.
16th November 2015, 03:15 PM |#9  
I am facing a similar issue with my Nexus 6P, can anyone please help me with it?
On any rom, whatsoever, I get reboot when I turn the Google Maps Navigation On.
After few minutes, phone just reboots
I havent yet tried stock, any idea how can I find the root cause? I have cleared data for maps, also I have tried to uninstall maps with TiBackup and installed fresh from Play Store
20th November 2015, 05:13 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

Yup same stuff going on over here with mine. It locks up and reboots even after clearing cache and rebooting only a few hours earlier. Have done 2 factory resets and am on the latest OTA update. I also noticed that I have to clear the cached data every day, sometimes multiple times a day to keep device running smoothly. This really concerns me with a device that's less than 2 weeks old. I also have only a handful of basic apps( Fb, YouTube, Spotify). Really thinking about returning it. When the phone runs right its great, but all the issues make me nervous. Might be time for a Note 5? I am just getting used to this phone and would hate to leave it though. Interested to see if the first major marshmallow update fixes these problems.
20th November 2015, 09:27 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcomstock

Yup same stuff going on over here with mine. It locks up and reboots even after clearing cache and rebooting only a few hours earlier. Have done 2 factory resets and am on the latest OTA update. I also noticed that I have to clear the cached data every day, sometimes multiple times a day to keep device running smoothly. This really concerns me with a device that's less than 2 weeks old. I also have only a handful of basic apps( Fb, YouTube, Spotify). Really thinking about returning it. When the phone runs right its great, but all the issues make me nervous. Might be time for a Note 5? I am just getting used to this phone and would hate to leave it though. Interested to see if the first major marshmallow update fixes these problems.

Mine actually had one random freeze and reboot after factory reset then nothing for 48 hours after that. Of course I rma'd mine and I'm glad I did. Screen is on the colder side with even volume speakers on the second unit. Sending my original one back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)