FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Should I root my 6P?

138 posts
Thanks Meter: 53

Post Reply Email Thread
Hi!
A month ago I bought a second-hand Nexus 6P and I ordered a silver casing because the black color that brought didn't like to me.
When I opened it and change the housing the guarantee was logically lost, and now I wondered if it was worth to root it because I don't lose anything.
I don't want to change the ROM. I'd like flashing MODs to improve sound quality or increase the audio output voltage (I don't know if that's possible).
The problem is that I don't know how to do it with my laptop, which has Windows 10. I have always done on Windows 7 and I know the drivers on Windows 10 are a mess. Also, I don't know how to do things like flashing firmware or RRU through ADB and fastboot so, should I root it?
I would appreciate your help.
Thank you!
4th July 2016, 07:01 AM |#2  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 3,222

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortalPizza

Hi!
A month ago I bought a second-hand Nexus 6P and I ordered a silver casing because the black color that brought didn't like to me.
When I opened it and change the housing the guarantee was logically lost, and now I wondered if it was worth to root it because I don't lose anything.
I don't want to change the ROM. I'd like flashing MODs to improve sound quality or increase the audio output voltage (I don't know if that's possible).
The problem is that I don't know how to do it with my laptop, which has Windows 10. I have always done on Windows 7 and I know the drivers on Windows 10 are a mess. Also, I don't know how to do things like flashing firmware or RRU through ADB and fastboot so, should I root it?
Thank you!

You don't lose your warranty when rooting Nexus devices anyway, so even if you hadn't opened your device up it wouldn't have had a problem. There's no mess with drivers on the Windows 10, really. Extract ADB and Fastboot from the Android SDK and follow one of the many guides available in the general section. It's easy enough to unlock and root the device and/or change the firmware too if you had to. Just read the available guides.
4th July 2016, 07:53 AM |#3  
Flag The Hill
Thanks Meter: 95

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasar

You don't lose your warranty when rooting Nexus devices anyway, so even if you hadn't opened your device up it wouldn't have had a problem. There's no mess with drivers on the Windows 10, really. Extract ADB and Fastboot from the Android SDK and follow one of the many guides available in the general section. It's easy enough to unlock and root the device and/or change the firmware too if you had to. Just read the available guides.

Exactly! It's very simple. I did have issues with the drivers on my Windows 10 computer but it was a matter of uninstalling and reinstalling them.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
4th July 2016, 08:55 AM |#4  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Knocking on your door
Thanks Meter: 19,099

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Hi!
Thank you!

You have nothing to lose, so why not?! Take a look at my guide, it should have everything you need:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexu...nners-t3206928
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Heisenberg Ad-Free
5th July 2016, 01:56 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Madrid

More
Thank you for your replies @Quasar @GallardosEggrollShop and @heisenberg! Now I have only two questions:
1. System updates by Google support other recoveries apart from Android original recovery (I'd like to install TWRP)?
2. When I unlock the bootloader I'll lose all my data (factory reset)?
Thank you!
5th July 2016, 02:13 AM |#6  
Retired Forum Moderator

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thank you for your replies @Quasar @GallardosEggrollShop and @heisenberg! Now I have only two questions:
1. System updates by Google support other recoveries apart from Android original recovery (I'd like to install TWRP)?
2. When I unlock the bootloader I'll lose all my data (factory reset)?
Thank you!

1. No, other recoveries cannot flash OTA updates. You can't apply an OTA if you're rooted anyway, you need to flash the factory images to update.

2. Yes, unlocking the bootloader completely wipes the device so back up your personal data (photos etc) first.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Heisenberg Ad-Free
5th July 2016, 05:27 AM |#7  
Flag Philly
Thanks Meter: 551

More
Plus, in my opinion... It's a Nexus, why would you buy a Nexus if you weren't going to root it? At least to see whats out there and you can always go back to stock if you wish.
5th July 2016, 05:41 AM |#8  
Flag Cosmos
Thanks Meter: 2,079

More
Nexus + XDA = Happy Flashing!
6th July 2016, 12:59 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Madrid

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg

1. No, other recoveries cannot flash OTA updates. You can't apply an OTA if you're rooted anyway, you need to flash the factory images to update.

2. Yes, unlocking the bootloader completely wipes the device so back up your personal data (photos etc) first.

Ok, im going to root my 6P finally, thank you all! Before the start, I want to solve a couple of questions and then I'll root it!
1. How can I update the Nexus stock ROM when I have TWRP? (Firmware, security updates or major updates like Nougat)
2. It's true that when my bootloader is unlocked, every time I boot the phone a message saying that my bootloader has been unlocked appears? In that case, Is it possible to remove permanently?
3. Is necessary make S-OFF like the HTC phones? I've never had a different phone of HTC, this is my first phone that's not an HTC.
Thanks!
6th July 2016, 01:14 AM |#10  
Retired Forum Moderator

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Ok, im going to root my 6P finally, thank you all! Before the start, I want to solve a couple of questions and then I'll root it!
1. How can I update the Nexus stock ROM when I have TWRP? (Firmware, security updates or major updates like Nougat)
2. It's true that when my bootloader is unlocked, every time I boot the phone a message saying that my bootloader has been unlocked appears? In that case, Is it possible to remove permanently?
3. Is necessary make S-OFF like the HTC phones? I've never had a different phone of HTC, this is my first phone that's not an HTC.
Thanks!

1. I already answered this question in the post you quoted, you flash the factory images. It's all in my guide that I linked you to earlier.
2. Yes you will have a warning message, and no you can't remove it.
3. S-off is specific to HTC so no need to worry about that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Heisenberg Ad-Free
7th July 2016, 02:00 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Madrid

More
I have only one question.
Is it completely necessary to flash regularly new hboot or firmware versions or I can use a non-stock rom with no worries about that?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)