Substratum Legacy not applying themes?

Search This thread

CheifX

Feb 20, 2017
Ha, nope. After re-applying theme, but not restarting, no .substratum folders or overlay folders show up anywhere. I am viewing hidden folders too. I think it is a write issue of some sort, but I can't exactly figure out what.
There will be no overlay folder it's location is totally different and I don't think there possible could be any write error which file explorer u r using? It should be in internal storage. Like mine at bottom

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170727-193719.png
    Screenshot_20170727-193719.png
    125.2 KB · Views: 411

yugotprblms

Nov 13, 2010
There will be no overlay folder it's location is totally different and I don't think there possible could be any write error which file explorer u r using? It should be in internal storage. Like mine at bottom

Yeah, I don't get that at all. But I am also having weird issues with Magisk modules not working, so I think I am going to do a full wipe and flash to try to fix the issue.

amar_bs

Aug 16, 2017
Ha, nope. After re-applying theme, but not restarting, no .substratum folders or overlay folders show up anywhere. I am viewing hidden folders too. I think it is a write issue of some sort, but I can't exactly figure out what.

Did you ever solve this? I am having a similar issue with the most recent August update to substratum. After applying theme and rebooting, the theme doesn't appear, there are no overlay folders and also no aopt file in /system/bin (I tried copying one there from /data/data/projekt.substratum/files to see what would happen but nothing changed).
It seems that the theme is not compiling at all (not that I really know what that means...) - when I go to Utilities --> Overlay list in the substratum app, it says "no overlays installed... compile one overlay to be able to use me!".
Admittedly I'm on a different device (OnePlus 3) but this was the first thread I saw with the same problem. Not really sure what's going on - probably also because I'm very new to all this!

yugotprblms

Nov 13, 2010
Did you ever solve this? I am having a similar issue with the most recent August update to substratum. After applying theme and rebooting, the theme doesn't appear, there are no overlay folders and also no aopt file in /system/bin (I tried copying one there from /data/data/projekt.substratum/files to see what would happen but nothing changed).
It seems that the theme is not compiling at all (not that I really know what that means...) - when I go to Utilities --> Overlay list in the substratum app, it says "no overlays installed... compile one overlay to be able to use me!".
Admittedly I'm on a different device (OnePlus 3) but this was the first thread I saw with the same problem. Not really sure what's going on - probably also because I'm very new to all this!

No, I never fixed it. But I am on an OP3 too. No clue what the deal is.

Reactions: amar_bs

Neutrino_Sunset

Sep 9, 2017
Substratum doesn't do anything for me either.

Build and enable a theme with all overlays selected (Default Dark).
Get a notification saying it was built and enabled with no errors.
Nothing changes.

Xperia Z5C, Nougat 7.1.1, Rooted SuperSU v2.82

Reactions: xSl33p and iMessa

Anas Rahman

Mar 3, 2017
It also happened with me but got fixed after installing a magisk module. If you're on magisk, you can install that too

Last edited:

maity-iman-2015

Account currently disabled
Apr 19, 2016
GB
meettomy.site
I was also facing the same issue in my Nexus 6p, Android 8.1, Substratum release 985. I fixed it by changing the permission of root/vendor/overlay folder. I gave permission of R W X to Owner, Group, Global. (I used Solid explorer to access the attribute). This is only working on the calendar, but not working on settings, WhatsApp etc.

Last edited:

Exodusche

Feb 18, 2016
I was also facing the same issue in my Nexus 6p, Android 8.1, Substratum release 985. I fixed it by changing the permission of root/vendor/overlay folder. I gave permission of R W X to Owner, Group, Global. (I used Solid explorer to access the attribute). This is only working on the calendar, but not working on settings, WhatsApp etc.

I'm using 984 and works fine maybe downgrade the app. You know that now we have to reboot to apply themes? Also I found a cool trick for updates. Disable the overlay of the update app. Wait for your favorite theme to get updated . Reapply the them and enable. No reboot required most of the time. ?

Reactions: chickenscanfly

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Workaround for broken Substratum (tested on LineageOS 14.1 with Swift Black theme):

1. Try applying Substratum theme, it will fail but it will create /system/overlay with compiled theme apks for you
    2. Make sure you are rooted and root is enabled for ADB
    3. adb shell

Now after you are successfully in adb:
    $ su
    # mount -o remount,rw /vendor
    # ln -s /system/overlay /system/vendor/overlay

Now reboot your device, theme should be applied and new themes should apply as well. Remember to repeat these steps after you flash vendor.img again.

What this does:
    Substratum needs to store files in /vendor/overlay but on our Nexus 6p this directory is 1. read-only partition mount 2. there is no space left for basically anything. These commands create symbolic link from /system/overlay to /system/vendor/overlay (aka /vendor/overlay) so you can use system partition instead of vendor for overlays.
    Substratum doesn't do anything for me either.

Build and enable a theme with all overlays selected (Default Dark).
    Get a notification saying it was built and enabled with no errors.
    Nothing changes.

Xperia Z5C, Nougat 7.1.1, Rooted SuperSU v2.82

No, I never fixed it. But I am on an OP3 too. No clue what the deal is.

I'm using 984 and works fine maybe downgrade the app. You know that now we have to reboot to apply themes? Also I found a cool trick for updates. Disable the overlay of the update app. Wait for your favorite theme to get updated . Reapply the them and enable. No reboot required most of the time. ?