FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

TMobile Throttling Unlimited Data on Video Apps???

572 posts
Thanks Meter: 274

By gregk232, Senior Member on 25th November 2015, 03:22 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Update -

Issue is resolved. Call Tmobile and have them disable the Binge On feature from you plan and have them reset your cell connection. I have done this and can confirm the issue is fixed.

So, flashing the Pure Nexus Rom has given me some proof on some shady stuff going on the Tmobile network, thanks to the feature which shows your real time data speed in the notification bar.

I am an unlimited data customer, and as of a few days ago, I cannot watch an HD video on Youtube without lag, which is weird because Tmobile in Dallas is very fast, like 50+ mbps. I have always watched 2k video without any issues.

I noticed that whenever I run any video app like Hulu, Netflix, or YouTube... the download speed will not go above 1.5 mbps. Whenever I do anything else, like download an app or run a speed test, it goes much faster.

Look that these screenshots... this is some serious BS going on! I can confirm that the 1.5mpbs speed cap is also happening on Netflix and Hulu, but I cannot take screenshots in those apps because the apps block that.

Anyone else on the Tmobile unlimited data plan experiencing this BS?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	youtube.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	3554519   Click image for larger version

Name:	app download.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	3554520   Click image for larger version

Name:	speed test.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	3554521  

25th November 2015, 03:35 AM |#2  
Flag Seguin, TX
Thanks Meter: 91

More
Wonder if it's related..

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/24/9...unlimited-data
25th November 2015, 05:28 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Plano

More
When I talk to customer service... They give me some bs that they cannot accept my problem because my Nexus 6p is not a tmobile phone. I hit them back with the fact that my brother has a tmo galaxy s5 and it's doing the same crap to him. We are on the same plan.
25th November 2015, 06:17 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
It could be binge on. It detects that you're streaming and does some tmo magic maybe throttle to "optimized streaming video" they said there was a way to request to have it disabled. I didn't think YouTube was part of binge on though.
25th November 2015, 06:32 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Plano

More
That's what I think also. But I remember that youtube was part of the Binge
25th November 2015, 07:23 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregk232

That's what I think also. But I remember that youtube was part of the Binge

It's actually not part of the binge on program, it's something that they said they were trying to work with Google on.

It could just simply be you went past your monthly 'unthrottled' limit and are now deprioritized when streaming video, possibly.
25th November 2015, 07:33 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Plano

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zynesterysdan

It's actually not part of the binge on program, it's something that they said they were trying to work with Google on.

It could just simply be you went past your monthly 'unthrottled' limit and are now deprioritized when streaming video, possibly.

I called and they confirmed that I have not gone past my limit and that I should not be throttled in any way

I've used only 11gb so far, and throttling occurs at around 20gb
25th November 2015, 07:54 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 94

More
I was just in Hawaii, where T-Mobile isn't that great and had no issues streaming the TWC app. It would lag and stutter initially, but would be fine after a few seconds. This was on my Note 4 before I got my 6P though. I was getting about 20mbps down on LTE.
25th November 2015, 07:57 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 230

More
I would check your settings on your T-Mobile account. Binge On was turned on automatically for all customers, so log onto your account, go to profile, turn off the setting and see if that helps. I attached a screen shot so you can see what the settings look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 12.54.55 AM.png
Views:	256
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	3554703  
25th November 2015, 11:26 AM |#10  
Flag San Antonio
Thanks Meter: 613

More
Welcome to the uncarrier, who decides how you use your data...
The Following User Says Thank You to nrfitchett4 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nrfitchett4 Ad-Free
25th November 2015, 12:20 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Try to go through a VPN, then stream your video again. If it changes then you know it's a throttling issue. But don't just try it in one area, sometimes there is congestion.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)