FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Uneven speaker volume

50 posts
Thanks Meter: 22

By hiimwill, Member on 1st November 2015, 05:24 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
The top speaker on my phone is noticeably louder than the bottom speaker. I've played music and watched videos in portrait and landscape mode and turned it every way to make sure it's not just the orientation. It's even more noticeable when I play this video to check: https://youtu.be/hTvJoYnpeRQ

Anyone else have this problem? Such a bummer because everything else about the phone is absolutely perfect. Gonna wait a few days to see if it gets better but I will probably RMA it. Just wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this.
The Following User Says Thank You to hiimwill For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hiimwill Ad-Free

1st November 2015, 05:28 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Mine is the same way, noticed it yesterday.
1st November 2015, 05:44 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Thank goodness mine is consistent. Also not having any issues everyone else is having. Perhaps we should open a thread about where we purchased and list of problems.

Only slight rant I have is 3.5mm jack. My left ear makes little static noise. It's really low sound and stops when something is playing so I won't complain or RMA it. I had same issue with Samsung tablet so I'm just hoping it's a software bug. We'll see.

By the way, I think there is a similar topic on this channel. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3221402
1st November 2015, 10:32 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
My first one had this problem and only realised when I got a replacement. Way much better sound and volume.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3237050

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA Free mobile app
1st November 2015, 12:16 PM |#5  
Flag Jacksonville, Fl
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Mine is also the same way. Top speaker is slightly louder. Weird.
1st November 2015, 12:39 PM |#6  

More
Looks like another widespread issue.

1st November 2015, 09:30 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
This is a frustrating issue. I want to RMA but am worried about having another experience like I did with my Nexus 7(2013) where I have to RMA multiple times only to receive several devices with the same issue. I really love this phone and everything is satisfactory besides the bottom speaker but I'm really considering returning it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
1st November 2015, 09:48 PM |#8  

More
It's a hard decision, cause you can end up with worse device lol but we all should get what we paid for. All should be top notch

I am picking my second replacement tomorrow.

1st November 2015, 09:49 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 207

More
Can this can be tweaked in the mixer paths XML? Or can you not change individual speakers? Mine is maybe very slightly louder at the top but it's hardly noticeable.
2nd November 2015, 01:53 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 327

More
The speakers have to be lined up with what are really pretty tiny cut outs in the front glass. There is probably some sort of foam gasket between the speaker and the glass of the screen. The gasket, if there is one, not only directs sound to the cut out, but also sometimes serves as a sort of tiny megaphone and is integral to the acoustics of the speaker.

It is easy to have a slightly misaligned gasked blocking sound, which can have a surprisingly significant effect on the sound quality and volume of a cell phone speaker. So, although I'm just guessing, I bet something like this is the problem (rather than the speaker element itself).

I've seen this sort of thing badly put together in other phones. So it's probaby a quality control issue in the assembly of the phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to cb474 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cb474 Ad-Free
2nd November 2015, 08:21 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazka2

It's a hard decision, cause you can end up with worse device lol but we all should get what we paid for. All should be top notch

I am picking my second replacement tomorrow.

Let us know how it turned out

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)