FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[W.I.P] AOSP 7.0.0_r6 Nougat, Clean Version

304 posts
Thanks Meter: 777

By nbehary, Senior Member on 10th September 2016, 10:26 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
THIS IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED

This was just about a direct copy of the ROM here I created due to the dev including opengapps in his builds: http://forum.xda-developers.com/nexus-7-2013/orig-development/p-aosp-n-7-0-google-shame-t3448008

They are no longer doing that, so I am focusing on contributing to that. The v0.6 build there is equivalent and a bit better than the v0.6.1 build here. Just use their's. (Leaving the links here for now, but really don't use them. )

Full credit to @DevSwift1 for all his work on this thus far. (and the other contributors listed below). Seriously, the work they have done is a thing of beauty and I'm only doing this out of necessity of doing the right thing. (I'd rather not be, but I said I would and it may be fun.)

What works:
Audio
Brightness
GPU Acceleration
Bluetooth
Wifi
GPS
NFC
Location services
Camera and video recording
Video playback
MTP
Sensors

Bugs:
- very poor 1080p video recording quality
- Google seems to think you are using a 2012 N7. I pulled part of the fix for that since it was only part and broke the build. It should be worked out next build. (or, the next build)

You can dirty flash, but you may need to uninstall and re-install any Google Apps you installed from the Play Store.

Change Log

V0.6.1
- Uses kernel that is not vulnerable to CVE-2016-2059. (@zaclimon's with @DevSwift1's patches to compile it on GCC 4.9. The stock N7 kernel was never vulnerable to that CVE and neither was that one which isn't heavily modified from it.)

V0.6
- Updated to Android-7.0.0_r6, NRD90U, Sept 6, 2016 Security Patch. (I think r4 was actually the security patch. Not sure if there is more in r6.)
- Note that this is missing the fix for CVE-2016-2059 which was part of the Sept Security Update, but resides in the kernel which isn't part of the AOSP build. I'm fixing that and will have an updated ROM or flashable kernel soon. (Hopefully. Building the kernel is new to me)

V0.5.1
- Fork of DevSwift1's V0.5 with Gapps removed.
- Location Services works with wifi

Sources:
https://github.com/nbehary/manifest

Download:

v0.6.1

V0.6

Very Unsupported, experimental Download for Deb
This builds correctly from my fork of Devswift1's stuff which included Deb. I have no idea if it works.

v0.6.1 (Just the new Kernel for CVE-2016-2059)

V0.X (it should be about v0.6 if it works. Same sources except the parts that are different between the devices.)

Get Gapps from here: (The Micro Edition is the largest that will install due to size constraints on the System partition.)
http://opengapps.org/

contributors:
DevSwift1
zaclimon
parrotgeek1
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to nbehary For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nbehary Ad-Free

10th September 2016, 01:26 PM |#2  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 131

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbehary

Get Gapps from here: (I recommend the nano package. It works. There are issues with them being too large.)
http://opengapps.org/

I was able to get micro Gapps installed with about 90m free space using the original ROM..(Will that cause issues ?? ) . Actually downloaded minigapps ,but created a gapps-config to install micro . I noticed that without Google search being a system app ,it gets killed quite quickly and takes time to load .That seems to have gone

Sent from my Lenovo X3a40 using Tapatalk
10th September 2016, 02:20 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Naperville, Il
Thanks Meter: 777

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkk178

I was able to get micro Gapps installed with about 90m free space using the original ROM..(Will that cause issues ?? ) . Actually downloaded minigapps ,but created a gapps-config to install micro . I noticed that without Google search being a system app ,it gets killed quite quickly and takes time to load .That seems to have gone

Sent from my Lenovo X3a40 using Tapatalk

Doing that should be fine I'd think. The only issue is running out of space and as long as you aren't doing that there shouldn't be issues. (I only recommend nano since that is what I have been using and it worked for me so far.)
10th September 2016, 03:59 PM |#4  
Unless the ROM itself gets 90mb bigger in future updates, micro should always fit. Technically, nothing should be writing to /system after install since it's usually locked anyways. Any free space in that partition just sits idle, unused.
10th September 2016, 05:05 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Any custom kernels works on it? Because stock is garbage. I saw nexus 5 reports of 6.0 versions working on 7.0
10th September 2016, 05:41 PM |#6  
Flag Vigo
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:

- There are reports of location not working without a GPS lock, for good reason. Play Services wasn't listed as a location provider.....common thing. I think I fixed it maybe, but in a effort to release this quickly, I haven't tested much. Please let me know if you still have issues.

You can mark this as fixed @nbehary
Thanks to you and to @DevSwift1 this has been posible thanks to him and i encourage him to continue working on this port, it's amazing so far and there are many users out there that thank you for your hard work and for giving this rom to the community. Thanks!

Also thanks to the rest of developers.

Beautiful widgets now locates correctly, and so many other apps like Waze or Meteogalicia (local weather apps) Thank you.
Locates correctly
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeoDaemon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NeoDaemon Ad-Free
10th September 2016, 06:22 PM |#7  
Flag Chula Vista
Thanks Meter: 320

More
I get this when flashing. Afterwards attempting to flash gapps indicates that I'm still on Android 6.0.1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160910_102103.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	3871178  
10th September 2016, 06:52 PM |#8  
Flag Chula Vista
Thanks Meter: 320

More
Never mind. Just had to boot into the system and flash gapps afterwards.
10th September 2016, 06:57 PM |#9  
I've been following all of these 7.0 ROM threads since the beginning. It looks like enough fixes have been done to this rom (thanks to the work of ALL the devs involved) for me to finally install it. Great job everyone!

DISCLAIMER FOR THE REST OF THE POST: Not for noobs or the faint of heart

I just dirty flashed this right over the last official MM and full device encryption enabled. For the most part things went smoothly. The only thing (and it's quite a lot for me) I had to do was uninstall and re-install, through the Play Store, just about everything from Google. The only app that didn't crash was Play Games - almost anything else with a Google account crashed, including MightyText (I originally suspected this was because I used nano GApps, which removed most GApps from /system - but YouTube Creator Studio and MightyText debunk that theory). After doing this everything seems to be running smoothly, but I'll continue to monitor battery usage. AOSP Calendar and Contacts have been disabled, in favor of the Google versions.

The biggest reason I wanted N was so I could use Night Mode and get rid of Twilight. The option is still baked into AOSP even though it won't appear in the Quick Settings shade. Download Night Mode Enabler from Play Store and the option returns.
10th September 2016, 07:35 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
Clean flashed 0.5.1, immediately rebooted back into recovery and flashed OpenGapps Pico and SuperSU 2.78 while wiping Dalvik and Cache between each step.

Everything works perfectly including the restoring of my Titanium app backups.

Thanks for supporting this device!
The Following User Says Thank You to rbradmag For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rbradmag Ad-Free
10th September 2016, 08:57 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by binglejellsx2

The biggest reason I wanted N was so I could use Night Mode and get rid of Twilight.

Sorry for being off-topic, but Twilight is really bad compared to Chainfire's CF.lumen. Twilight adds a kind of overlay, while CF.lumen does it with root and a driver, which makes the screen not look washed out or blurry like Twilight. It's free, too. Otherwise there's the live display one in every CyanogenMod based rom.
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread