FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROM][flo][deb][7.1.2]USB Host based on RR and Timur's

25 posts
Thanks Meter: 25

By elektro255, Junior Member on 20th August 2017, 05:10 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from elektro255: USB Host, ROM for the Nexus 7 (2013)
The ROM is designed to be used as a fixed car dash installation.

Rom based on Resurection Remix nougat, ElementalX kernel with Timur's usb host mode.

Features in addition to Resurection Remix and ElementalX:
Code:
- USB Host Mode with External Power
- Fast Charging while in USB Host Mode
- FI-Mode - Auto-Suspend on Power-Loss 
- Preferred Slot Auto-Mounting of up 4 USB Drives
- Firm Sleep + RTC Alarm Killer (barely uses battery when suspended)
- Easy App-Killer for reliable Suspend mode
- Power-Up On-Screen-Display
- HD/Hi-Res UVC Frame-Grabber support for Backup-Cam with MJPG encoding
- Set to permissive permanently (required by PowerEventMgr)
- Magisk SU
-INITIAL INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS-
- Download the latest build
- Download BeansGapps-Mini
- Full wipe and factory reset
- Flash ROM using TWRP 3.x Recovery
- Flash Gapps
- Reboot
- Enable SU for PowerEventMgr in Magisk

-Installation Files-
TWRP
Flo (WiFi) Builds
Deb (LTE) Builds
BeansGapps-Mini

-UVC Frame-Grabber support-
Driver modules for frame grabbers are in /system/lib/modules directory. You need to load the drivers in /data/local/userinit.sh using insmod.
Example for oryginal EasyCAP DC60:
Code:
insmod /system/lib/modules/saa7115.ko
insmod /system/lib/modules/stk1160.ko
Install VCam2.apk (available in Download section) app and enable detection mode in PowerEventManager.

-Battery-less instalation-
-FI-mode-

-Car installation hints-
To create good looking and easy to use desktop for car dash you can use psd files:
Car dash wallpaper images.
It can be used with following apps to create home screen with transparent widgets that will start apps:
Desktop VisualizeR
Nova Launcher

-External resources-
Timur's kernel

-Changelog-
Code:
v5.8.5-20171215
- Merged with latest RR repo v5.8.5 Android 7.1.2_r36
- USB audio drivers included in kernel
- Fixed settings bug
- Fixed SU problems and USB drive permission problems
- Clean install recommended
-Github Source-

-Common problems-
- USB audio is crackling: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...8&postcount=51

XDA:DevDB Information
USB Host, ROM for the Nexus 7 (2013)

Contributors
elektro255, apascual89, Timur
ROM OS Version: 7.x Nougat
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
Based On: LineageOS

Version Information
Current Beta Version: v5.8.5-20171215
Beta Release Date: 2017-12-15

Created 2017-08-20
Last Updated 2018-01-06
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.jpg
Views:	2768
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	4246882  
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to elektro255 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift elektro255 Ad-Free

4th September 2017, 07:53 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
For USB Audio I had to use the following userinit.sh

insmod /system/lib/modules/ssnd-hwdep.ko
insmod /system/lib/modules/snd-usbmidi-lib.ko
insmod /system/lib/modules/snd-usb-audio.ko
The Following User Says Thank You to pacmanb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pacmanb Ad-Free
5th September 2017, 08:51 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmanb

For USB Audio I had to use the following userinit.sh

Thanks for the info. I've updated instructions.
6th September 2017, 12:44 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
tks teamm..
7th September 2017, 11:20 AM |#5  
Flag Thomasville
Thanks Meter: 2

More
THANKS!!!
I'm building a tablet for my car right now, can't wait to try this!

If I already have timur's kernel loaded, do I need to reload?
7th September 2017, 02:54 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Nice work! I got 2 questions:
Is it possible to add driver modules for the UTV007 Video Grabber that used to work with timur v3 kernel on android 5.1.1?
With android 6 and Nexus 7 2013 there was an issue with usb dacs that only had mono output instead of stereo. Is this issue corrected in Android 7?

Thanks for the info.
The Following User Says Thank You to tobias.s For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tobias.s Ad-Free
7th September 2017, 06:49 PM |#7  
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 343

More
Thanks for this and nice work. I have a question though, and apologies if I am asking in wrong place... How do I configure Power Event Manager to put my tablet to deep sleep when incoming power is turned off? I tried to test it with a wall charger, but nothing happened when I disconnected it, and it did not turn off wifi / BT and activate flight mode. Does this only work when I have OTG devices plugged in?

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

Two bugs -
- When I open Display in settings, Settings crashed
- When I launch File Manager, it closes with a prompt that it was unable to get relevant priviledges. It looks like it displays a dialogue to ask to allow SU (I assume), but this prompt closes immediately before I can tap yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to uberNoobZA For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift uberNoobZA Ad-Free
11th September 2017, 07:37 PM |#8  
Flag paternĂ²
Thanks Meter: 1

More
carry a problem, when you press the sitema display generates app error and closes. when trying to open file manager does not start properly something as described by friend sopra.in beyond this my personal opinion this rom seems to be studied by using the kernel for mounted car devices but take out drivers for devices and say turn on this in insmod, for unhelpful user it turns out to be a problem and abandon rom
13th September 2017, 06:12 PM |#9  

More
Great ROM, many thanks for this. I actually paid for Timurs kernel but the downloads are no longer available and it hasn't been updated in ages.

I cannot get usb audio to work. The device is recognised in powerevent manager and the devices LED lights up but audio plays through the tablets internal speakers.
I created a userinit.sh file in data/local/ and added:

#!/system/bin/sh

After restarting the device my issues are as described above. Can anyone point to where I'm going wrong or help troubleshoot? Thanks.

EDIT: I changed the line "insmod /system/lib/modules/ssnd-hwdep.ko" to "insmod /system/lib/modules/snd-hwdep.ko" (Removed an extra 's') and I am able to execute the script manually after boot and the audio works fine

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Quote:

With android 6 and Nexus 7 2013 there was an issue with usb dacs that only had mono output instead of stereo. Is this issue corrected in Android 7?

I'm using a Behringer 202 DAC and the mono issue does not seem to be present in this version. Full stereo here!

Another bug I've noticed that hasn't been mentioned. About 50% of the time when I reboot the tablet, it gets stuck on the Google logo. I have to hold power off + volume up to force reboot, where it normally boots fine.
14th September 2017, 08:29 PM |#10  

More
I have had to abandon this ROM as it is currently too unstable for daily use in the car. I'm sorry but I can't produce any logs as I've reverted to 5.1.1 as I have a fixed installation which is a major pain to remove any time I encounter a problem.
(I'm not even sure if this ROM is in development or has been abandoned)

Issues I've faced:
Screen sometimes won't turn on. Touches are registered but the only way to turn the screen on is a hard reset (In a fixed install this is a big problem). This appears to happen randomly.
USB audio produces a lot of crackling. After researching, this appears to be a nougat issue but in a car install this isn't acceptable.
14th September 2017, 11:21 PM |#11  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberNoobZA

I tried to test it with a wall charger, but nothing happened when I disconnected it, and it did not turn off wifi / BT and activate flight mode. Does this only work when I have OTG devices plugged in?

Two bugs -
- When I open Display in settings, Settings crashed
- When I launch File Manager, it closes with a prompt that it was unable to get relevant priviledges. It looks like it displays a dialogue to ask to allow SU (I assume), but this prompt closes immediately before I can tap yes.

It only works with OTG in FI-Mode.
Have you tried adding SU permission in Magisk ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenerif88

carry a problem, when you press the sitema display generates app error and closes. when trying to open file manager does not start properly something as described by friend sopra.in beyond this my personal opinion this rom seems to be studied by using the kernel for mounted car devices but take out drivers for devices and say turn on this in insmod, for unhelpful user it turns out to be a problem and abandon rom

The modules were made loadable (removed from kernel and added using insmod to fix problem with installations that are using Bluetooth audio and easycap (that was setting volume to max when USB audio driver is present).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellmetButter

EDIT: I changed the line "insmod /system/lib/modules/ssnd-hwdep.ko" to "insmod /system/lib/modules/snd-hwdep.ko" (Removed an extra 's') and I am able to execute the script manually after boot and the audio works fine[COLOR="Silver"]
Another bug I've noticed that hasn't been mentioned. About 50% of the time when I reboot the tablet, it gets stuck on the Google logo. I have to hold power off + volume up to force reboot, where it normally boots fine.

thanks, I've removed typo
What build are you using I've never experienced that with flo build, I don't have access to test deb. Are there any steps to reproduce, will you be able to get output of `cat /proc/last_kmsg ` after restarting stuck tablet or get ADB log when boot gets stuck.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)