**UPDATE** Mounting Errors in Custom Recovery

Search This thread

aymayo

Sep 24, 2015
Totally agree! I wasted a lot of time on finding a solution for it. Only if they had updated it wouldn't have happened.

Yep, and just to clarify I mean the wiki page for flo on cyanogenmod's website.
I know any user can edit the wiki page but I'm not quite sure how to phrase the problem without adding too much clutter to the page, maybe just a warning if you run into mounting errors to try the multirom recovery?

itnorfolk

Jan 13, 2012
Norwich
I have a N7 2013 FLO that shipped with 5.x. I didn't know that this was a problem until I tried reverting to 4.4.4 and had it bork on me.

I figured I'd post the the process I went though to find success.

1) Screwed up the tablet by attempting to use Wugs NRT.
2) Cursed and flailed my hands about in the air.
3) Discovered I still had access to fastboot and recovery but that recovery was giving mounting errors and therefore wouldn't flash anything.
4) Cursed more and flopped on the ground like a landed fish.
5) Made my way to this thread and read through the first two pages which gave me TWRP Multiboot and my first taste of success.
6) Booted TWRP, noted that the mounting errors were gone and promptly tried to flash CM 10.2 + gapps.
7) Got stuck on the Google + Unlocked screen, cursed some more and stamped my feet like a 4 year old child.
8) Finished reading the thread and discovered the modified boot.img.
9) Downloaded the official Google 4.4.4 and extracted the contents.
10) Used fastboot to flash cache, system, userdata, then the modified boot.img.
11) Profit!
12) Decided I didn't want to stick with 4.4.4 lest I trip upon a pushed out 5.x update.
13) Flashed CM 10.2 again and got stuck in Google + Unlock screen.
14) Flashed modified boot.img again, rebooted and waited through a long (35+ min) apparent boot loop.
15) Booted recovery, did a factory reset, and tried boot again just for the heck of it. Didn't work.
16) Used fastboot to reflash the stock 4.4.4 system.img, userdata.img, boot.img.
16) Booted fine.
17) Applied CF-AUTO-ROOT.
18) Followed the instructions here to make sure I don't accidentally get the push update.
19) Decided that this is good enough for now.

Next day, found that OTA update had been downloaded once I connected to Wifi. So...

20) Via adb root shell, remount /cache as rw and pulled /cache/update.zip off and onto my PC.
21) Deleted /cache/update.zip.
22) Tapped update notification on the Nexus screen and confirmed restart and install.
23) Tablet didn't restart even after 2 min, so I adb rebooted it and confirmed that the update install didn't occur.

I'll see what happens the next time I connect to Wifi and report on it here.

Hi,

Has anyone successfully managed to get this to work with 5.1.1?

I've just bought a brand new Nexus 7 2013 (WiFi-flo) (LMY48G) and I'm planning on installing in a car. I need to root it using TWRP recovery and SuperSU before adding the "rom" I'm going to use.
I've been trying all day today but not managed to get it working and then found this thread (Thankfully!!!!). I'm hoping someone can help me get the TWRP actually working. I'm right up to installing the Custom TWRP Recovery section :)

mr_fosi

May 15, 2010
I haven't attempted it since I got mine working.

It's more important to me to have a machine that works.

JackOfOwls

Sep 25, 2015
I had a ***** of a time trying to get a custom recovery working for my new Nexus 7 2013 shipped with the 5.02 lollipop. Couldn't get TWRP to recognize any OS or partitions to backup. But because of this topic I finally had success. Thank you.

HelenRedSea

Oct 15, 2015
Hello all,

edit: solved! see at the bottom. ^-^'

I am too getting the "unable to mount" problem.. I feel completely lost..
First of all I need to clarify that I am nowhere near a knowledgable person in regards to rooting, flashing etc! I am a humble sociology student. :(
I mean, I read what most of you guys say here, and most of it seems gibberish to me(to the point where I feel mentally retarded lol).
However, if I'm good at something, this would be following instructions, and tbh that's why I decided to root my tablet.

So, yesterday was a wonderful day! Sun shining, birds singing, and also my Nexus 7 (2013 flo) arrived! yay!
So I decided to spend a day with the stock 5.2, holding hands, cuddling in bed, and generally making sure that the device works just fine.
Today I woke up and things were serious.. I knew it was time to say goodbye to the stock version.. So without second thoughts I started the rooting process.

I read some up-to-date guides, so I downloaded and flashed TWRP from their official site, and then tried to flash the latest cyanogen NIGHTLY rom, following the intructions on the Cyanogenmod wiki.
I kept getting the red mounting errors...
After multiple heart attacks and stroke episodes I decided to pull my self together and look for solutions.
I looked and looked and looked, and I ended up here which gave me hope, since from my understanding, people have managed to fix the problem.

I tried to follow the steps but I'm stuck on step 1.
I downloaded the TWRP img file provided, and flashed it.
I tried to start it, but I got stuck on the "teamwin" loading screen.
It won't take me to the menu.. instead every now and then it will flash a black screen for a split second and back to the "teamwin" loading screen.
I waited about 10 minutes for it to load but nothing. Note that when I flashed the TWRP img file I already had the latest TWRP version installed. Could that have to do with anything?

Oh lord help me! I don't know what to do..
I am sorry If I seem like a spoiled ignorant little girl but could someone suggest step by step what I can do to fix this (if there is anything to do ofcourse)? :crying:

Edit:
Ok, I managed to find what I did wrong.
I actually skipped the part where it said that I needed to root with "CF-Auto-Root", cause I thought that I was already rooted.

I rooted the tablet, flashed the recovery and installed the rom.
Everything worked like a charm!
Thank you for making this post!

And don't hate me for posting such a huge post.
hehe I feel like quite the fool right now. ^-^'

Last edited:
Reactions: a4abbas

lynnux

Jun 4, 2013
Has anyone tired the regular TWRP recovery (as in regular I mean not the multiROM TWRP) with marshmallow?

This morning I tried flashing the regular TWRP image from the multiROM TWRP just to see what would happen. I'm running 6.0. It flashed fine, and it still has some of the same problems as before. It shows nothing in storage, 0mb, no files. When I reboot into system I get a message saying there's no OS installed, do I want to boot anyways, I say yes, and it boots fine. Root Explorer shows all files in storage as usual. I tried rebooting into recovery to see if a reboot would fix it, no.

So it works, partly. I'm not sure how you'd get it to recognize internal storage, though, so you could flash anything.

Does anyone know what the issue here is, and if there's an easy way to fix it? It would be nice to have unmodified TWRP going forward, even though the multiROM version is working fine for now.

Edit: In the end I reflashed the multiROM TWRP, which is working as usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killah1994

HelenRedSea

Oct 15, 2015
This morning I tried flashing the regular TWRP image from the multiROM TWRP just to see what would happen. I'm running 6.0. It flashed fine, and it still has some of the same problems as before. It shows nothing in storage, 0mb, no files. When I reboot into system I get a message saying there's no OS installed, do I want to boot anyways, I say yes, and it boots fine. Root Explorer shows all files in storage as usual. I tried rebooting into recovery to see if a reboot would fix it, no.

So it works, partly. I'm not sure how you'd get it to recognize internal storage, though, so you could flash anything.

Does anyone know what the issue here is, and if there's an easy way to fix it? It would be nice to have unmodified TWRP going forward, even though the multiROM version is working fine for now.

Edit: In the end I reflashed the multiROM TWRP, which is working as usual.

Same here. Tried all that but it didn't work unless I had the multi.

What would be the merits of having an unmodified TWRP?
I mean the multiROM works as good as the normal one.

lynnux

Jun 4, 2013
It's probably fine as is. If something related to recovery started acting up it might be harder for a developer to solve, since we wouldn't know whether it was the modified recovery causing the problem or something else. I don't know what they did to modify it.

Killah1994

Dec 1, 2012
Brooklyn
The only thing I can think of is the main developer of TWRP to add the commits that the MultiROM developer has, once he adds it the original TWRP should work for our devices.. I mean I don't mind having MultiROM TWRP, tbh I'm grateful for it. But it would be nice to have the official thing for our device.

Elcs

[EDIT]: Seems to be sorted. I used Fastboot Erase on the Recovery partition, installed the MultiROM TWRP .img via the Toolkit then rebooted into recovery via Toolkit. Showing as having internal storage and a different version of TWRP. Yay me!

Hopefully I am posting my request for assistance in the appropriate place.

I received a 4.4.something Nexus 7 WiFi (2013) a short while ago, promised myself I'd not tinker with it and it was about 48 hours before the bootloader was unlocked, device rooted and stock Lollipop 5.1.1 was happily working along. It wasn't until I thought "I love Xposed on my Kitkat Note 3. Let's take a look" that I discovered an issue within Recovery, I had issues mounting partitions and everywhere the Device suggested that there was 0mb internal storage despite everything working from an OS point of view.

This solution, trying to Format Data from within TWRP does not work. It fails the process.

Using TWRP Multirom img from the OP, I don't think my recovery is flashing as it appears to stay at the same version no matter what jiggery pokery I attempt.

I am still able to use the NRToolkit to lock/unlock the bootloader, root via cf-autoroot, flash versions of Android etc but the mounting/0Mb Internal storage/Recovery plagues the recovery element.

Any ideas before I consign this to the 'Well, the tablet still works as required but has this odd quirk I cannot fix' pile... any ideas?

Most grateful :)

Last edited:

sgtfoo

Nov 9, 2010
Toronto
I recently got a N7 2013 from Amazon that came out of the box with 5.0.1 and it updated to 6 OTA. I flashed it back using nexus root toolkit to 5.1.1 and had to flash TWRP Multirom to be able to custom flash anything.
After going through this thread, I noticed
https://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/issues/487

SO here's hoping the TWRP team fixes this in a new recovery version.

Can anyone confirm if flashing a different kernel fixes this?

lew-hand

Jun 3, 2013
Hi,

As suggested by flar2 I build the kernel myself after having modified the mmc.c part. I'm sharing it here because it may help someone.
This boot.img is based on the 2.15 version of ElementalX for stock/AOSP 4.4.3/4.4.4 ROMs.

Edit : I forgot to mention that you need first to install ElementalX_2.15 and choose all options you want in Aroma installer, then flash this patched kernel. I only tested Double-tap wake gesture and USB+OTG.

Where is the install for ElementalX_2.15? I flashed 4.4.4 then your boot.img and TWRP multirom and it now loads fine in ROM and TWRP.

I'm now trying to install CM 11 but it just got stuck on the boot logo.

Is there a certain version of CM i need to use?

Tarv

Jul 19, 2011
Winnipeg
Finally.
Wish I found this thread 3 hours ago. Thanks for the tip, MultROM TWRP worked for me, installed a custom ROM just fine.

Until I found this thread, tried the latest TWRP and CWM, both would not mount the partitions. Thought it was something I was doing, but I'm literally sitting here with two Nexus 7 2013's and one was working, one wasn't.
:p

sensati13

Jun 20, 2011
Northern Cali
Needed newer version of TWRP_multirom_flo

FYI - There is a newer version of "TWRP_multirom_flo" available (TWRP_multirom_flo_20150630.img) from the following thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2457063

This may be helpful to those who seem to have received an even NEWER version of the Nexus 7 2013 (flo). I received mine from the Groupon deal a couple weeks ago. The OP recovery version listed here wasn't able to fully boot (went into bootloop) with the Nexus 7 version I received, however the newer 20150630 version did work fine.

Hope this helps someone.

s13

Sep 23, 2013
FYI - There is a newer version of "TWRP_multirom_flo" available (TWRP_multirom_flo_20150630.img) from the following thread:

This may be helpful to those who seem to have received an even NEWER version of the Nexus 7 2013 (flo). I received mine from the Groupon deal a couple weeks ago. The OP recovery version listed here wasn't able to fully boot (went into bootloop) with the Nexus 7 version I received, however the newer 20150630 version did work fine.

Hope this helps someone.

s13
Mine Nexus 7 (flo) stucks on boot after flashing TWRP_multirom_flo this

hachiroku

Jan 28, 2008
i was having trouble with TWRP for about a week and a half and didn't understand that the Multirom had their own version of TWRP which works perfectly.

since i had the corrupt TWRP how i installed was to goto the Google play store and download Multirom Manager. once installed this app will confirm you have root access. proceed to install the first two check boxes. I unselected kernel update. after booted all was working as it should.

Thanks everybody!

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

Mine Nexus 7 (flo) stucks on boot after flashing TWRP_multirom_flo this

if you can get to bootloader you can fix your device. from bootloader you can push a new recovery image, or a full factory restore. you'll need adb and the appropriate files to get moving.

derekroberts

Feb 9, 2016
Thanks

I tried a lot of things to fix this problems. I put the supersu.zip on a microsd and put that in a microsd/usb adapter and connected that to the tablet with a usb3.0/miniusb adapter and then loaded from usb instead of internal storage and everything did "seem" to install correctly but the tablet never had root access after rebooting. This new TWRP build allowed to install from the internal storage instead and everything is working now. Much appreciated, thanks for your efforts.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Couple of new tabs were recently released into the wild with some "revisions". Those who went thru Groupon, Frys, and Best Buy received tabs with 5.0.1 pre installed out of box.. Because of this you couldn't go back to any 4.x.x builds as the bootloader wouldn't allow it. After posting this and finding out about this issue some XDA members were able to find a fix and confirmed that this solution is a working solution.

TL;DR
    Any Custom Recovery had problems mounting SD/Partitions making flashing roms, zips, ect a problem.

**WARNING**
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY MISFORTUNE YOU RECEIVE BY APPLYING ANY INFO PAST THIS POINT. YOU TAKE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTION AND NO ONE HERE BUT YOURSELF IS ACCOUNTABLE.

I have included both LTE (DEB) and WIFI(FLO) setups that are currently working and are confirmed working by XDA members here. Apply based on your device. This works for both 5.0.1 and 5.0.2. ADB or Wugs program is sufficient enough to complete this task.

WIFI (FLO) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3fHxCdm5V_Mc2szNnFzT1I0eVk/view?usp=sharing
    LTE (DEB) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3fHxCdm5V_MU1hfXzV6dFlEZ2c/view?usp=sharing
    **NOTE**
    The only way so far to root tab is to use cf-auto root. Google it and follow directions.

ADB setup:

Download recovery img and place into location where you ADB resides (or leave in download folder and open CMD in downloads for global ADB users)

make sure ADB is working and confirm that you Nexus is recognized
    Code:
    Code: adb devices

After confirmation get tab into bootloader mode
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Flash recovery image (Depending on tab version)
    FLO:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery TWRP_multirom_flo_20150328.img
    DEB:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery TWRP_multirom_deb_20150328.img

Once flash is complete confirm by booting into recovery and check to see if SD/Partitions mounted. Click the small square in the bottom and see if everything mounted correctly. if you see any red status stating mount error in (system, userdata, system -w, cache, ect something went wrong repeat process)

From this point your are good to go. Be advised flashing roms has a very particular setup that needs to be followed, reported by several members. I will show below

Wugs Nexus Toolkit
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2389107

Download your recovery image
    1. Open Wugs Nexus Toolkit
    2. Setup device preference
    3. Go into advance
    4. Click flash recovery
    5. choose recovery image file
    6. Let toolkit do its thing and when complete click boot recovery to confirm everything went ok

On device

Use cf-auto root to root your tab. Google it as it not hard to find. Once you confirmed root you can then download your image file on device and use flashify, TRWP Manager, (anything you can flash recovery on device)
    Example:
    Once root is confirmed use Flashify to select recovery image to flash. Once flash is complete boot into recovery by any means. confirm no error are present.

**FLASHING ROMS**
    When installing any ROM disable "inject multirom after installation" & after installation just hit reboot system (don't hit "MultiROM: Inject curr. Boot sector) once you hit reboot you should be fine!

Direct link to files and some info for recovery

Good Luck and hope everything works out.
    Your basically missing a modified boot img, to boot 4.4.. Unfortunately we don't have it, it was mentioned but dissolved!
    I found the boot.img in the Japanese thread after a second look. It was buried in some horrible google translation on a different page than the one linked to by rususami.

I just got my Nexus 7 from Amazon a couple days ago, so I'm going to give it a couple more battery cycles before attempting to downgrade to 4.4.4 again. Here's the link to the boot.img that I uploaded to my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8o0kqablv16oiys/boot.zip?dl=0

If anyone else has success with it, do let us know. I'm more curious about whether or not we'll be able to flash a custom kernel after downgrading.

Edit: the boot.img is in a zip, but that's all that's in it. There's no updater script or anything, so this isn't recovery flashable. You'll need to extract it and use fastboot in bootloader mode. I know most of you would have figured that out easily, but I'm putting it out there just in case.
    here are some screenshots to help better explain. These are off TWRP and CWM. Also got a pic of my computer telling me that im on a wrong system setup even though I havent changed anything.,
    TWRP 3.0.0.0 OFFICIAL BUILD NOW WORKS WITHOUT ERRORS
    Gave it shot today using flashify and it booted fine without any errors.